• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Religions Believe In An Afterlife

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The question is where souls arise and where do they go after the death of a person? It seems incongruent to me that souls arise in the same numbers as 8 billion people on this earth, and after death, exactly 8 billion souls go nowhere. So, we need to have a more logical framework to understand where the souls come from and where they go. I think the only solution is to believe in reincarnation.
Why do you think the only solution is to believe in reincarnation?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I didn't respond to you. I responded to @TagliatelliMonster. I don't read everyone's post. And considering your consistent inability (or unwillingness) to comprehend logical fallacies, I am certainly not going to hunt it down.
No hunting necessary.

I said:

Nope, it is not an argument from ignorance.

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala said: It is not just plausible. It is most likely true that the soul comes into the fetus and goes out of the body at its point of death. How else would the bodies start and stop living?

He did not assert that his proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false.
He said it is most likely true, but not because it has not yet been proven false.

Argument from ignorance asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false or proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true. This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that there may have been an insufficient investigation, and therefore there is insufficient information to prove the proposition be either true or false. Nor does it allow the admission that the choices may in fact not be two (true or false), but may be as many as four,
  • true
  • false
  • unknown between true or false
  • being unknowable (among the first three).[1]
Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Nope, it is not an argument from ignorance.

It is.

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala said: It is not just plausible. It is most likely true that the soul comes into the fetus and goes out of the body at its point of death. How else would the bodies start and stop living?

He did not assert that his proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false.
He said it is most likely true, but not because it has not yet been proven false.

The only justification he provided for it is the following question: "How else would the bodies start and stop living?"

IOW: "I don't know, therefor souls".
Textbook argument from ignorance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many people see a lot of things. Including Elvis being alive and well at wallmart. :shrug:
Reminds me of....
798db6948a74085e3f871f815a76c89b.jpg

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Make up your mind. Either they are or they aren't.
I never said that they were bare claims with nothing to show for it.
You believe they are bare claims with nothing to show for it.
You claim they aren't when asserting you are justified to believe in them
But when asked for that justification, you turn around and say that they are.

:shrug:
I am justified to believe in the claims because I do not believe they are bare claims with nothing to show for it.
I could show you MY justification but it would not be justification for YOU.
Do you understand what I am saying?

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Seeing previous births through meditation would not suffice for me to believe that I had previous births. At least, not that alone.
Of course not. The point is that for you to believe that there is electricity in the wire, you have to touch it and get a feeling or put a light indicator. If you sit back and say that I am not convinced that there is electricity in the wire, but you do not try to put an indicator, then nothing can be done. So, I would say that I am with you in not believing that there are previous births but at the same time I would say that some effort would have to be undertaken to understand the matter.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Why do you think the only solution is to believe in reincarnation?
I don't think reincarnation is the only solution but I have yet to find another solution that makes sense. The basic problem with the Abrahamic view is that where the souls arise and where they go after death, is remains unclear and it is full of difficulties.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't think reincarnation is the only solution but I have yet to find another solution that makes sense. The basic problem with the Abrahamic view is that where the souls arise and where they go after death, is remains unclear and it is full of difficulties.
I believe that where souls go after death is to a spiritual world. We cannot know what that world will be like till we go there.

Know thou that every hearing ear, if kept pure and undefiled, must, at all times and from every direction, hearken to the voice that uttereth these holy words: “Verily, we are God’s, and to Him shall we return.” The mysteries of man’s physical death and of his return have not been divulged, and still remain unread. By the righteousness of God! Were they to be revealed, they would evoke such fear and sorrow that some would perish, while others would be so filled with gladness as to wish for death, and beseech, with unceasing longing, the one true God—exalted be His glory—to hasten their end.
Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.
As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.
Bahá'í Reference Library - Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, Pages 345-346

So yes, the destiny of the soul after death remains unclear, but I don't see that as a reason to believe that the soul comes back to this world to live again. I cannot see any merciful and just God sending anyone back to earth to do this all over again. Once is more than enough.

Why do you think that going to a spiritual world after death is full of difficulties, simply because the nature of the spiritual world is unknown to us?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I never said that they were bare claims with nothing to show for it.

Except that you did. Here's the posting sequence:

That can never be established since the soul is a mystery.

Then there is nothing there to talk about.
And definitely nothing there to attribute to it.

No, there is nothing to talk about unless you believe what it says in scriptures.

==> so you pretty much said there that there is nothing to show for it, other then bare claims in scriptures, which are to be "just believed". The only way to establish belief in it, is believing the claims in scripture. That's pretty much literally what you said in that exchange.

Do you wish to take it back? If yes, fine. But then I will just repeat my question: how do you establish that there is such a thing as a soul? Last time you answered that it can't be established.

I am justified to believe in the claims because I do not believe they are bare claims with nothing to show for it.
I could show you MY justification but it would not be justification for YOU.
Do you understand what I am saying?
I understand. You pretend "personal" justification is the same as proper justification.
If you can't show me, then, as I said, you have nothing to show.

ppp

Of course not. The point is that for you to believe that there is electricity in the wire, you have to touch it and get a feeling or put a light indicator. If you sit back and say that I am not convinced that there is electricity in the wire, but you do not try to put an indicator, then nothing can be done.
That is not your situation. You have done nothing to establish what electricity is or what causes it. You are simply having a shock, seeing a spark, then accepting the cause to be the divinity of Zeus. Or to bring it home, you are having an experience from meditation, then accepting the cause to be past lives.

So, I would say that I am with you in not believing that there are previous births but at the same time I would say that some effort would have to be undertaken to understand the matter.
There is an enormous body of study that explores why people think they have past lives. Fields like psychology, sociology, anthropology, and neurology have extensively examined these beliefs. From cognitive dissonance and memory distortions to cultural and societal influences, researchers have uncovered various reasons why individuals might feel a connection to so-called 'past lives.' There is extensive exploration into how the brain constructs and reconstructs memories, and how this can lead to the sensation of having lived before. This understanding doesn't require belief in past lives but recognizes the complexity of human perception and experience.