• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Religions Believe In An Afterlife

PureX

Veteran Member
yes ,for now you are a living soul , some day you should expect to die ,which would make you a dead soul . comparing life of a body as if it were a lit candle, when the flame is snuffed out where did the flame go ?? no were ,its just gone .
Yet the light it generated remains, being cast out into the universe.

There is much we do not understand. It would by very arrogant of us to make these kinds of assumptions and then presume them to be the truth.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
yes ,for now you are a living soul , some day you should expect to die ,which would make you a dead soul . comparing life of a body as if it were a lit candle, when the flame is snuffed out where did the flame go ?? no were ,its just gone .
When I die, the soul does not evaporate into nothing. To take your example when the candle is sniffed out, it is changed into oxygen but the quality of oxygen is different in the sniffed candle and the lighted candle. So, the example establishes that the air of which the flame is made is permanent, and it does not die. Similarly, the soul does not die.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What’s that tell ya?

It confirms the idea that religious beliefs are attractive to human psychology to try and deal with their mortality and loss of loved ones.
That they are prone to superstition.

Just maybe there might be one?
So if there is a tendency for humans to believe X, that somehow means X is plausibly true?
You know what we call that? An argument ad populum. It's a logical fallacy.

Things aren't more likely just because many people believe it....

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
We can see in our daily lives that a mother conceives and the child becomes a living being. We also see that at a certain point, the body becomes dead.

Yeah. We see this in cats also. And dogs. And snakes. And frogs. And fish. And spiders. And every other living thing.
So what?

So, there is something that comes into the fetus and something that goes out of the body.

Doesn't follow. Evidence required.

This is this something I call the soul.
So it's just a poetic description of the difference between life and death?
Then it doesn't exist in the real world and thus does not require any explanation.

cataway

When I die, the soul does not evaporate into nothing. To take your example when the candle is sniffed out, it is changed into oxygen but the quality of oxygen is different in the sniffed candle and the lighted candle. So, the example establishes that the air of which the flame is made is permanent, and it does not die. Similarly, the soul does not die.
then you have said this verse means nothing ??.Ezekiel 18:4 ''Look! All the souls to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son to me they belong. The soul who sins is the one who will die''.

as you are now a living soul ,dead ,you would be a dead soul.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Yeah. We see this in cats also. And dogs. And snakes. And frogs. And fish. And spiders. And every other living thing.
So what?

Doesn't follow. Evidence required.

So it's just a poetic description of the difference between life and death?
Then it doesn't exist in the real world and thus does not require any explanation.
Of course, cats and dogs also have souls. As regards evidence, I think death is the biggest evidence. I don't see any other evidence you are seeking.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
then you have said this verse means nothing ??.Ezekiel 18:4 ''Look! All the souls to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son to me they belong. The soul who sins is the one who will die''.

as you are now a living soul ,dead ,you would be a dead soul.
We have to understand Ezekiel. When it says that the soul who sins is the one who will die, it sees death not as a physical death, but as a psychic death because the soul will be punished. Every soul will die but it is said that they will live because the soul will positively reach God, and will not face the punishment of death.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
As I said, the fact that the body lives at one moment and dies at another moment, and the fetus is lifeless at one moment, and lifeful at another moment is explained only by the entry and exit of the Soul.
You have a weird definition of the word "explained".

All I see is a bare assertion. No reason, no rhyme, no evidence, no verifiability.
Just an assertion.

Tinkerpeach

In all honesty, what it tells me is that there are people that want real hard to believe in an afterlife.

Not that I necessarily accept the premise, mind you. It may or may not be true; I don't really know.

In any case, I definitely do not think that having afterlife beliefs is necessary or helpful for a proper religion. It will be an uphill battle to convince me that it is even healthy.
Well there is some evidence in the form of near death experiences that is people who have been clinically dead and were brought back sometimes after minutes of death.

Out of those that have spoken about their experience I am not aware of anyone that says they didn’t see or feel that there was something there after death.

The all have all described it as peaceful, warm, safe and none of them wanted to come back.

The funny thing is that we actually have the ability to test this yet ethic issues prevent an actual study from happening.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well there is some evidence in the form of near death experiences that is people who have been clinically dead and were brought back sometimes after minutes of death.

Absolutely, NDE exist. But what do they give evidence for?

That there are discernible patterns in the perceptions of people who are about to die. Which is to say, that brains that are about to die - and in many cases may lack proper oxygenation and may be receiving unusual levels of neurotransmitters and other substances that may affect those perceptions - show somewhat predictable reactions.

For all I know, that may only mean that there are organic requirements for feelings of anxiety and they are not met in common near-death situations.

I just don't see any religious or spiritual value in that piece of trivia.

The funny thing is that we actually have the ability to test this yet ethic issues prevent an actual study from happening.

I don't think that there is anything funny in that. Ethics matter.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
They are worm food. Until they’re resurrected on the last day. There’s only one who isn’t worm food.
Their bodies will continue to be worm food since they return to the earth where they will remain forever.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
yes ,for now you are a living soul , some day you should expect to die ,which would make you a dead soul .
There is no such thing as a dead soul because the soul is immortal, so it cannot die.
When the Bible says that a soul dies it means a soul that does not gain eternal life, as defined by Jesus.

John 17:3 KJV And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

A soul that does not gain eternal life still continues to exist in the spiritual world, but it is far from God so it is "as dead" compared to a soul that gained eternal life.
comparing life of a body as if it were a lit candle, when the flame is snuffed out where did the flame go ?? no were ,its just gone .
The body returns to the earth. The soul ascends to the spiritual world, to heaven or hell, or somewhere in between.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Maybe, just maybe, you should first establish that there is such a thing as a "soul".
That can never be established since the soul is a mystery.

“Thou hast asked Me concerning the nature of the soul. Know, verily, that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel. It is the first among all created things to declare the excellence of its Creator, the first to recognize His glory, to cleave to His truth, and to bow down in adoration before Him. If it be faithful to God, it will reflect His light, and will, eventually, return unto Him. If it fail, however, in its allegiance to its Creator, it will become a victim to self and passion, and will, in the end, sink in their depths...”

cataway

The word “soul” in the Bible is a translation of the Hebrew word neʹphesh and the Greek word psy·kheʹ. The Hebrew word literally means “a creature that breathes,” and the Greek word means “a living being.” a The soul, then, is the entire creature, not something inside that survives the death of the body. Consider how the Bible shows that the human soul is the whole person:

Is the soul immortal?​

No, the soul can die. Dozens of Bible verses refer to the soul as being mortal. Here are some examples:

• “The soul that sinneth, it shall die.”—Ezekiel 18:4, 20, King James Version.
  • In ancient Israel, the punishment for the most serious offenses was that the “soul shall be cut off.” (Exodus 12:15, 19; Leviticus 7:20, 21, 27; 19:8, King James Version) The person would “be put to death.”—Exodus 31:14, King James Version.
  • After a person dies, the literal term “dead soul” is used for the corpse in some Bible verses. (Leviticus 21:11, footnote; Numbers 6:6, footnote) Although many Bible translations use the terms “dead body” or “dead person” in those verses, the original Hebrew uses the word neʹphesh, or “soul.”