• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Motivation

St0rmE

What is your motivation for worshiping? I am having trouble putting into words the reasons behind religion. What do we hope to gain or avoid by worshiping?:shrug:

Jacksnyte

Reverend
From my experiences as a former Southern Baptist, it would appear that the ad campaign for at least this brand of Christianity claims the motivation is love, but the underlying threat of eternal damnation proves that the ultimate motivational factor is definitely fear.

Levite

Higher and Higher
What is your motivation for worshiping?

Appreciation for God having created the universe, and given me life therein.
Appreciation for God making human beings in His own image, which means I have the delight and privilege of relating to images of God all day, every day.
Appreciation for God making me a Jew, and giving me the pleasure and privilege of fulfilling His commandments.
Appreciation for all the good things in life, which, directly or indirectly, come from God.

A desire to praise God as God: the only God there is, the source of all life, the only truly eternal thing in existence.
A desire to make myself known to God, and for Him to hear me.
A desire to partcipate in the communal relationship of the People Israel with God.
A desire to reflect upon myself and my life, and refocus myself on increasing the holiness in my life.
A desire to achieve spiritual discipline that will allow me to better connect with God.

Requesting God's aid and support in granting me and others the strength to deal with the difficult aspects of life in the universe.

St0rmE

I posted this one other place in the forum to try to get exposure from a wide belief base :)

When I say Worship I mean whatever it is you consciously do to pay homage to your god. I realize that smelling a flower and reveling in its glory is a method of worship, but I am focused on the reasons we make the Decision to worship. I have made a list and of course, it is a bare bones explanation of each but after reading it several times I think it is fairly comprehensive. Here it is If after some thought you think I have missed your reason, please post it. I am trying to use these reasons to get a better grasp on human nature and religion as a general idea.
-In thanks for creation
-fear of punishment
-To get things"good weather, crops, children"
-Bring about the fall of their enemies
-For strength and power
-To fit it
-Con People
-Hope for an after Life
-Comfort of tradition
-In thanks for things gained
-A Wish to be a better person
-Fear of someone(s) more powerful than yourself
-To find answers

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Is there some reason why this question is in the "Abrahamic religions" section? people from other religions pray too.

Last edited by a moderator:

St0rmE

yes I was in a hurry and it was at the top of the list :) So I went with a broad category, and a narrow category.

arthra

Baha'i
Why Pray?

"...the impulse to pray is a natural one, springing from man's love for God."

"The prayerful condition is the best of all conditions, for man in such a state communeth with God, especially when prayer is offered in private and at times when one's mind is free, such as midnight. Indeed, prayer imparteth life."

How to Pray

"Should a person recite but a single verse from the Holy Writings in a spirit of joy and radiance, this would be better for him than reciting wearily all the Scriptures of God..."

"The true worshipper, while praying, should endeavour not so much to ask God to fulfil his wishes and desires, but rather to adjust these and make them conform to the Divine Will. Only through such an attitude can one derive that feeling of inner peace and contentment which the power of prayer alone can confer."

St0rmE

I was not asking for quotes. I wanted to know your opinion, what the various religious texts say is clear.