• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You Never Tire Of

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Some day I am going to sit down and watch Yojimbo, A Fistful of Dollars, and Last Man Standing. One after the other. I always wanted to watch the same movie three times on one day.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Taking another peek at your list, I see I missed Blazing Saddles. Another good one!
It was good until Mel didn't know how to end that movie. My favorite of his was Young Frankenstein. My wife Sara loves that one, too. He has said he makes a living from Hitler. I can see that from "The Producers" and "To Be and not to Be". "High Anxiety" was a good one , too. The latter two starred Mel Brooks himself. Did you know he co-created the TV show "Get Smart" in the 1960s? He's still alive at 98. He remained married to Anne Bancroft all her life until her death. He starred with her in "To Be of not to Be"with her. It was an improvement on the film in the 1940s with Jack Benny. Some of his films I never saw, though. Never saw "Spaceballs".

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
My short list off the top of my head. I literally have watched these moves dozens and scores of times over the years. I have eclectic tastes.

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
When Worlds Collide (1951)
The Thing from another world (1951)
The Quiet Man (1952)
Stalag 13 (1953)
War of the Worlds (1953)
Rear Window (1954)
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
The Searchers (1956)
12 Angry Men (1957)
The Blob (1958)
The Angry Red Planet (1959)
Rio Bravo (1959)
The Horse Soldiers (1959)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
McLlintock! (1963)
Hud (1963)
The Great Escape (1963)
Sons of Katie Elder (1965)
El Dorado (1966)
Cool Hand Luke (1967)
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Bullit (1968)
Planet Of The Apes (1968)
True Grit (1969)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Mad Max (1979)
Alien (1979)
Caddyshack (1980)
Stripes (1981)
Time Bandits (1981)
The Road Warrior (1981)
The Thing (1982)
Blade Runner (1982)
Starman (1984)
Night of the Comet (1984)
Silverado (1985)
Weird Science (1985)
Three Amigos! (1986)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Highlander (1986)
Flight of the Navigator (1986)
Pass the Ammo (1987)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Willow (1988)
The Package (1989)
The 'Burbs (1989)
Hunt For Red October (1990)
The Russia House (1990)
Dances with Wolves (1990)
The Fugitive (1993)
Tombstone (1993)
Stargate (1994)
The Usual Suspects (1995)
Matilda (1996)
The Peacemaker (1997)
The Saint (1997)
Starship Troopers (1997)
The Fifth Element (1997)
Dark City (1998)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
V for Vendetta (2006)
Deja Vu (2006)
The Mist (2007)
Stardust (2007)
Outlander (2008)
District 9 (2009)
Pandorum (2009)
Attach the Block (2011)
Super 8 (2011)
I saw and liked a lot of those movies. I just watched The Day the Earth Stood Still again. I watched the Wizard of Oz many times as a kid. It was shown during Christmas season for some reason. I didn't know for a long time that the Oz portion was in color. Forbidden Planet stands for me alongside The Day Stood still as the Greatest Sci-Fi movies of the 50s. War of the Worlds was pretty good too in the 50s. Stalag 13 was good. Oh, The Usual Suspects! What a surprise ending! Sara and I love love that ending. The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones was good. Stargate was a rare movie with James Spader as a good egg. Sleepy Hollow was definitely good in my eyes. Dances With Wolves was a really good one. Hunt for Red October I liked. A good role for Sean Connery. Princess Bride was funny with a fav of mine Peter Falk narrating to his kid. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was good, but when I think back, the other kids were treated cruelly. Time Bandits was a real original, with David Warner playing the Devil. Blade Runner was a very interesting SciFi film with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer. Starman I liked. "When the light is yellow, drive very fast". I watched a few episodes of "the Saint" when I was young starring Roger Moore, but never the movie. Planet of the Apes was a good satire. Gregory Peck was named the greatest hero over a long period of time for "To Kill a Mockingbird". A good movie. I just noticed "Alien", a scifi movie with a lot of suspense. The Great Escape was a classic.

Some movies I like not listed are "Network", and "Amadeus", both black comedies that have a lot of truth to them. "Amadeus" was a great movie about envy destroying a person. I had no idea it would be so good. I went to see it because I am a great classical movie lover. I liked the original "Star Wars" trilogy, especially "The Empire Strikes Back". The first and third "Indiana Jones" movies were good adventure movies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Several I'm unfamiliar with, but you mentioned a couple that I forgot to include in my "short list". The first three Star Wars films, The Dogs of War, and Pitch Black are films I'll watch pretty much anytime. Not that there aren't others on your list that I like.

I'm interested in seeing Run Lola Run. It sounds interesting. Another I want to see, but haven't is Scarlett Johansson's Lucy.
I forgot to add Thor at the Bus Stop as well. Your not the only one who forgot some. ;0)

I like foreign films and the sheer talent and writing out there has greatly expanded my film pallette well beyond Hollywood.

It's how I first stumbled upon Lola.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I forgot to add Thor at the Bus Stop as well. Your not the only one who forgot some. ;0)

I like foreign films and the sheer talent and writing out there has greatly expanded my film pallette well beyond Hollywood.

It's how I first stumbled upon Lola.

I agree. Extending my search outside the US has landed some gems. The Russian movie, The Guardians turned out to be a very enjoyable film when I ignored my bias and watched it.

I'm unfamiliar with Thor at the Bus Stop, but I enjoyed the Norwegian film Mortal. Another Thor tale that isn't Marvel Comics. Not that I don't enjoy those, but this is a darker tale, less heroic and grandiose and somewhat sad as well. I have to look into Thor at the Bus Stop.

There is a lot of good cinema out there. Sometimes, it is stumbling across some without looking that yields some really good results.

Thanks for your thoughts and for the list.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I think that's Stalag 17.

There had never been a successful escape from Stalag 13.
You are correct. The movie is Stalag 17. The indelible memory imbedded from a childhood of syndicated television seems to have been clouding my thoughts.

I think it is a very good movie. Even Schultz would agree and he sees nothing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
13th Warrior
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Amelie
Chocolate
House of Flying Daggers
Hogfather
The Imitation Game
the Ninth Gate.

I'm sure there are more but can't remember them off hand.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I saw and liked a lot of those movies. I just watched The Day the Earth Stood Still again. I watched the Wizard of Oz many times as a kid. It was shown during Christmas season for some reason. I didn't know for a long time that the Oz portion was in color. Forbidden Planet stands for me alongside The Day Stood still as the Greatest Sci-Fi movies of the 50s. War of the Worlds was pretty good too in the 50s. Stalag 13 was good. Oh, The Usual Suspects! What a surprise ending! Sara and I love love that ending. The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones was good. Stargate was a rare movie with James Spader as a good egg. Sleepy Hollow was definitely good in my eyes. Dances With Wolves was a really good one. Hunt for Red October I liked. A good role for Sean Connery. Princess Bride was funny with a fav of mine Peter Falk narrating to his kid. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was good, but when I think back, the other kids were treated cruelly. Time Bandits was a real original, with David Warner playing the Devil. Blade Runner was a very interesting SciFi film with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer. Starman I liked. "When the light is yellow, drive very fast". I watched a few episodes of "the Saint" when I was young starring Roger Moore, but never the movie. Planet of the Apes was a good satire. Gregory Peck was named the greatest hero over a long period of time for "To Kill a Mockingbird". A good movie. I just noticed "Alien", a scifi movie with a lot of suspense. The Great Escape was a classic.

Some movies I like not listed are "Network", and "Amadeus", both black comedies that have a lot of truth to them. "Amadeus" was a great movie about envy destroying a person. I had no idea it would be so good. I went to see it because I am a great classical movie lover. I liked the original "Star Wars" trilogy, especially "The Empire Strikes Back". The first and third "Indiana Jones" movies were good adventure movies.
I'm a big fan of science fiction and the movies from the 50's are those that I have been watching since I was a child. They started me off at a time in life when it is much easier to suspend disbelief.

The interest in old movies was one of those subtle, often overlooked bridges that people have in their lives. In the case of old films, they offered a connection with my parents and a bridge to the world they grew up in. That and those movies are good stories.

Also a big fan of westerns, especially those of John Wayne and the revisionist Clint Eastwood movies.

We seem to have a volume of overlap in our taste in movies.

I like Amadeus and I've seen Network, but not in some time and need to reacquaint myself with it. I recall liking it, but I can't seem to bring detail of it to mind.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
13th Warrior
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Amelie
Chocolate
House of Flying Daggers
Hogfather
The Imitation Game
the Ninth Gate.

I'm sure there are more but can't remember them off hand.
More movies that I like.

I took a chance on Emelie and was really pleased with what I found.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes, perhaps more often than I know, I'll watch a movie and really enjoy it, but not come back to it regularly or at all. I'm not sure of the basis for my indefatigable interest that comes for some and not with others. It isn't a question of greatness of the film, though I think most on my list would be widely considered very good or great, but not all are. Whatever unrecognized motivation, I just like to watch some movies persistently.

Some more...esoteric films that I have become fond of are:

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. (1953)
Barbarella (1968)
Black Moon (1975)
Forbidden Zone (1980)
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai’ (1984)
Quest for Fire (1981)
The Name of the Rose (1986)
The City of Lost Children (1995)

Certainly, I would think, not a fare for all, but some may find them interesting if they take the time.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You are correct. The movie is Stalag 17. The indelible memory imbedded from a childhood of syndicated television seems to have been clouding my thoughts.

I think it is a very good movie. Even Schultz would agree and he sees nothing.

It's definitely one of my favorites.

Sometimes, that movie is often compared with The Bridge On the River Kwai, another classic POW movie.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It's definitely one of my favorites.

Sometimes, that movie is often compared with The Bridge On the River Kwai, another classic POW movie.
The Bridge On the River Kwai is on Amazon Prime Video right now and in my queue to watch again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sometimes, perhaps more often than I know, I'll watch a movie and really enjoy it, but not come back to it regularly or at all. I'm not sure of the basis for my indefatigable interest that comes for some and not with others. It isn't a question of greatness of the film, though I think most on my list would be widely considered very good or great, but not all are. Whatever unrecognized motivation, I just like to watch some movies persistently.

Some more...esoteric films that I have become fond of are:

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. (1953)
Barbarella (1968)
Black Moon (1975)
Forbidden Zone (1980)
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai’ (1984)
Quest for Fire (1981)
The Name of the Rose (1986)
The City of Lost Children (1995)

Certainly, I would think, not a fare for all, but some may find them interesting if they take the time.
Great movie!

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I don't think there have been many (or any) animated films mentioned so far. I'm not familiar with it, but I recognize the style.

There are several animated films I consider to be very good movies also.
In my opinion Castle In The Sky is a literally flawless film

100%