• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim Singer: Interview with Sami Yusuf

Cordoba

Greetings to All:

This is a recent interview with Sami Yusuf, a British Muslim singer, and some interesting thoughts.

Many of his songs are really great, including his video clip with the song of “Al-Muallim” (The Teacher), which went to number one on Turkish music channels, and his new song/video "Mother", which is very nice.

http://www.samiyusuf.com/video/index.htm

In the last couple of years, he has become very famous among Muslims around the world.

The renowned Muslim British singer Sami Yusuf, born in 1980, started playing many musical instruments at a very young age. He attended music courses in one of the world’s most prestigious music schools, the Royal Academy of Music.

Yusuf, the youngest son of a descent Azeri family that settled in London, got married to a German woman three months ago.

Sami’s training in Western Musical theory and the Middle Eastern modes (or Maqams) helped produce his distinctive voice that has performed to sell out venues around the world.

UNQUOTE

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/news_service/world_full_story.asp?service_id=1753

All the best.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Cordoba

Those three pieces of music are among the finest that I have heard in a long time; thank you so much for sharing them with us.;)

Cordoba

Hi Micheal, Hi Jensa:

Thank you for your posts.

Sami is having great success in all his concerts, and I think one of the nice part about him is that he is able to combine music from the East with music from the West in a nice blend, in adition to choosing humane topics like "mother" for example, which is a shared human feelings in all faiths, and trying to promote high values and ideals.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Salam,

I love Sami Yusuf's great songs, I have all his songs on CDs and tapes :)

Peace

Cordoba

His latest album "My Ummah" released a couple of months ago is really nice.

I was listening to it last week, and he really knows how to mix western and eastern music.

All the best.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Cordoba said:
His latest album "My Ummah" released a couple of months ago is really nice.

I was listening to it last week, and he really knows how to mix western and eastern music.

All the best.
Salamu 'alaikum,

Yes, "My Ummah" is so great, I bought the CD last week and I like it so much :)

Salam

Cordoba

Assalamo Alaikom

Last December Sami Yusuf has a great success in Toronto:

TORONTO, December 26 (IslamOnline.net) - Sami Yusuf, the British Muslim singer, capped off the second day of the 3rdReviving The Islamic Spirit Convention in Toronto with a concert that captivated the audience.

Yusuf, whose recent album, Al-Muallim (Teacher), has taken the Muslim world by storm, was performing for the first time in Canada.

His concert was much anticipated by the convention goers who sang along to the popular songs he performed from his album and cheered him on throughout the performance.
The 24 year-old Yusuf was born into a musical family of Azeri origin and showed a keen interest in music from an early age.

http://islamonline.net/English/News/2004-12/26/article05.shtml

This year his concerts around the world, including one in Egypt, were very well-atended.

Cordoba

Omair Ali interviews Sami Yusuf, one of the Uk's leading Nasheed singers (BBC)

Sami Yusuf is fast becoming, or arguably is, the UK's leading Nasheed singer. In Muslim culture Nasheeds are a popular form of music that praise the Prophet (peace be upon him) and glorify Allah. Typically few, if any, instruments feature in a Nasheed and the human voice is expected to carry the Nasheed.

Unsurprisingly with the constraints of the Nasheed form traditional Nasheed artists have struggled to captivate Muslim youth already immersed in the sophisticated sounds of contemporary music. However, one Nasheed artist who has a growing following is Sami Yusuf. His training in Western Musical theory and the Middle Eastern modes (or Maqams) has produced his distinctive voice that has performed to sold out venues around the world.

The 23 year old artist was born into a musical family of Azeri origin and his initial musical training came at an early age from his father who was a composer, poet and musician. After composing some of his own pieces Sami received a scholarship to study at the Royal Academy of Music in London. He released his first Album Al-Mu'allim in the Summer of 2003 and is part of a revival in Nasheed music amongst Muslim youth. Here Omair Ali interviews Sami Yusuf in the wake of the success of Al-Mu'allim.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/features/sami_yusuf/

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
2006_01_14_hdg_newvideo.gif

Filmed in India, Turkey and the United Kingdom as well as Egypt, it's available as a Windows Media download now!
rightarrow_3.gif
videos

Click on the link below to listen and watch "Hasbi Rabbi" (which means my God is sufficient for me) by Sami Yusuf, it's in English, Turkish, Hindi and Arabic. Very beautiful indeed! Enjoy it :)

http://www.samiyusuf.com/video/index.htm

Peace

Cordoba

Sami Yusuf: Breaking the Shackles of Bigotry Through Inshad
Sami Yusuf is a rising star in the sky of Islamic Inshad. Composition, superior voice, carefully chosen lyrics and, above all, devotion to Islam, make him the perfect model for a true artist with a noble cause.
Sami Yusuf has his own view of how music can play a central role in delivering his beautiful message to the average westerner; making them receives it with sympathy, or at least without enmity or malice.
Here, Islamonline.net has the privilege to interview the Muslim British artist, despite his busy schedule.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cordoba said:
Sami Yusuf: Breaking the Shackles of Bigotry Through Inshad

Sami Yusuf is a rising star in the sky of Islamic Inshad. Composition, superior voice, carefully chosen lyrics and, above all, devotion to Islam, make him the perfect model for a true artist with a noble cause.

Sami Yusuf has his own view of how music can play a central role in delivering his beautiful message to the average westerner; making them receives it with sympathy, or at least without enmity or malice.

Here, Islamonline.net has the privilege to interview the Muslim British artist, despite his busy schedule.

I am so delighted this thread has 'resurfaced' this music is incredible!;)

Cordoba

Sami Yusuf's Songs Promote Spirituality, Defend Islam

Through songs, celebrated British Muslim singer Sami Yusuf has been seeking to promote spirituality and moral values and defend Islam and Muslims against ferocious campaigns in the West.

"Spirituality is missing in the vast majority of most songs," the famed singer told Reuters on Tuesday, February 21.
"The art world has been hijacked by the commercial environment. That's why we have a vacuum in producing positive art with positive messages, promoting good values."
Yusuf said his songs have been widely popular in Arab countries as they are offering something new, both in arrangement and lyrics, and different from Arabic pop, which typically deals with love and romance.
"We need something different -- new concepts in the Arab world. I feel that a lot of the messages, if there are any messages, are just a blind imitation of the West," he said.
His first album "Al-Muallim" (Teacher) has achieved a remarkable success in Middle East countries, where his CDs sell alongside traditional pop, and his songs are run in shops and cafes.
The 24 year-old singer was born into a musical family of Azeri origin and showed a keen interest in music from an early age.

"My Ummah"

Yusuf's second album "My Ummah" (Muslim nation) was released last year.
It features a song called "Muhammad" condemning violence practiced by some people in the name of Islam.

sky87

my ummah is really good, but i liked his first cd a lot, i dont know what it was called, but it had a beautiful nasheed called "al-muallim". sami yusuf has got to be one of my favorite nasheed singers, along with ahmed bukhatir and of course yusuf islam!