• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim Singer: Interview with Sami Yusuf

Judgement Day

sky87 said:
my ummah is really good, but i liked his first cd a lot, i dont know what it was called, but it had a beautiful nasheed called "al-muallim". sami yusuf has got to be one of my favorite nasheed singers, along with ahmed bukhatir and of course yusuf islam!
I believe his first album was called al-muallim as well, was released in the year of 2003: http://www.samiyusuf.com/albums/index.htm

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am so glad this thread came around again; I had lost the links to the beautiful music. Thank you.:)

Cordoba

Heart-felt Lyrics to Heal an Ailing Nation

Refreshing, sincere, and simply "music" to the ears. They're not the words "I love you," but indeed Sami Yusuf's latest album My Ummah.

Far from alien to the non-Muslim ear, the album discusses issues pertinent to every human being on earth — renouncing war and indifference and honoring mothers. "I intended My Ummah to move beyond the nasheed genre (mainly using vocals and percussion and focusing on praising Allah and the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) to encompass other areas of life through music, such as poverty, hijab, and freedom," said Yusuf on a [SIZE=+0]live chathttp://www.samiyusuf.com/questions/answers.php on his website on February 1, 2006.[/SIZE]

One of the most enchanting songs on the album, laced with a catchy Afghan folklore tune, is Hasbi Rabbi (My Lord is sufficient for me). The music video for the song was filmed in India, Turkey, Egypt, and the United Kingdom. The lyrics were written in four languages — Hindi, Turkish, English and Arabic — which Yusuf performs accent-free with his harmonious voice. The lyrics are a medley of supplication and praise of Allah and a plead for His forgiveness.

Another highlight of the album is a collaboration with Danish hip-hop group Outlandish in the song "Try Not To Cry." Outlandish was formed in 1997 by Isam Bachiri (Moroccan origin), Waqas Ali Qadri (Pakistani origin), and Lenny Martinez (Honduran origin).

Speaking to the oppressed around the world the song reassures:

You, you're not aware
That we're aware
Of your despair
Don't show your tears
To your oppressor
Don't show your tears.

All the best.

Cordoba

The biggest star in the Middle East is a Brit
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1762066,00.html

sp.gif
samiyusuf256.jpg

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]'I don't see a clash of civilisations but a clash of the uncivilised' ... Sami Yusuf
[/FONT]
With fresh-faced good looks and an air of self-possession, he seems the epitome of cool. A household name across Egypt and the Middle East, he is literally everywhere.

Take a walk through the bustling streets of downtown Cairo and you are guaranteed to hear his name in the casual conversation of passersby. He smiles down from billboards and television screens. Newspapers and magazines track his every movement on their front pages.

He is the face of Vodafone in the region and has a clean-cut image of wholesome family values to rival anything David Beckham ever had to offer. And what's more, he's British.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1762066,00.html

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Sami Yusuf in Istanbul Conference[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Internationally renowned British Muslim singer Sami Yusuf opened the closing ceremony with a song on Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The two-day conference, themed Muslims of Europe: Challenges and Opportunities, brought together a galaxy of Muslim thinkers, scholars and leaders from all over the world.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Its main aim was to look at some of the most pertinent issues that face European Muslims and their societies, including integration, citizenship, identity, Islamophobia and media representation, faith and its public role, and combating extremism.[/FONT]

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2006-07/03/03.shtml

Cordoba

There is a nice song by Sami Yusuf which summarizes the feeling of beeing free. These are the lyrics:

symu09.gif

What goes through your mind?
As you sit there looking at me
Well I can tell from your looks
That you think I’m so oppressed
But I don’t need for you to liberate me

My head is not bare
And you can’t see my covered hair
So you sit there and you stare
And you judge me with your glare
You’re sure I’m in despair
But are you not aware