• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims 'must accept' free speech

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4752804.stm

Muslims 'must accept' free speech

_38895995_1trevor203.jpg
People must tolerate things they do not like, says Sir Trevor

Muslims must accept that freedom of speech is central to Britishness and should be preserved even if it offends people, says Sir Trevor Phillips.

The chairman of the Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) said we should "allow people to offend each other".

And he suggested that Muslims who wanted a system of Islamic Shariah law should leave the UK.

His comments follow angry protests against cartoons satirising the Muslim prophet Muhammad.

'Absurd or unpopular'

Sir Trevor told ITV1's Jonathan Dimbleby programme: "What some minorities have to accept is that there are certain central things we all agree about, which are about the way we treat each other.

"That we have an attachment to democracy, that we sort things out by voting not by violence and intimidation, that we tolerate things that we don't like."

And that commitment to freedom of expression should also allow Muslim preachers to make comments about homosexuality that are offensive to broad segments of the British population, he said.

_41348778_rally_pa203.jpg
There were several large protests held in London over the cartoons

"One point of Britishness is that people can say what they like about the way we should live, however absurd, however unpopular it is," said Sir Trevor.

He also rejected the idea of Shariah law in Muslim communities in the UK. "We have one set of laws. They are decided on by one group of people, members of Parliament, and that's the end of the story. "Anybody who lives here has to accept that's the way we do it. If you want to have laws decided in another way, you have to live somewhere else," he said.

Fluffy

A fool
I thought peaceful assembly and protest was the basis of free speech.
It is. But a protest has an aim in mind and in this case, the aim was to restrict free speech. There is a difference between saying "I hate those cartoons" and "I hate those cartoons and expect you to do something about it". You can say both, its just the latter is totally futile so I reckon Trevor is advising people that they might as well stick with the first and avoid the frustration.

Judgement Day

Fluffy said:
It is. But a protest has an aim in mind and in this case, the aim was to restrict free speech.
I believe the aim wasn't to restrict free speech, or at least that wasnt their intention, rather to explain they are wrong about their opinions regarding Muhammad and refusing the insult. Isnt that part of free speech too?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Judgement Day said:
I believe the aim wasn't to restrict free speech, or at least that wasnt their intention, rather to explain they are wrong about their opinions regarding Muhammad and refusing the insult. Isnt that part of free speech too?
To the extent that you are accurate in your belief, the protest was fully appropriate - and clearly different from the earlier protests threatening barbaric violence against defenders of the freedom of the press.

sky87

i agree with judgement day, why is it so hard to be able to respect others' beliefs? why is there a sudden need to attack others' religions and insult them? think about it, why is that we can't say the "n" word to african americans? why is it that we don't judge by colour? why is it that doing are so tolerant towards' others religions, for example the jews, and what about tolerance towards cultures, age, etc; etc; All of this prevents discrimination and allows people to live with each other happily disregarding their differences. Yet suddenly we should have the "freedom" to print controversial cartoons of the prophet muhammad (pbuh) ??? :sarcastic i thought we lived in a discrimination free society! a place where others respected others' beliefs, but maybe i should rethink that. :sarcastic

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
sky87 said:
i agree with judgement day, why is it so hard to be able to respect others' beliefs?
You mean like the belief that those who insist on freedom of the press should be beheaded?

sky87

what the? no! why don't you go back and read what he said, and come back to my post! why are you minsinterpreting my statements? and i don't agree with violent protests, i was talking about the peaceful protests, and those in my opinion are correct

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
You mean like the belief that those who insist on freedom of the press should be beheaded?
No, it's like people being jailed for saying their opnion about the holocaust.

What a hypocrit !!! :areyoucra

Ormiston

The Truth said:
No, it's like people being jailed for saying their opnion about the holocaust.

What a hypocrit !!! :areyoucra
Are we talking about two different countries here?

ch'ang

artist in training
Yet suddenly we should have the "freedom" to print controversial cartoons of the prophet muhammad (pbuh) ??? :sarcastic i thought we lived in a discrimination free society! a place where others respected others' beliefs, but maybe i should rethink that. :sarcastic
If anything controversial were not allowed to happen you would not be allowed to say what you just said. Freedom of speech means people are allowed to say anything they please no matter how offensive you or someone else may finds it, anything else is just forcing the general population to live by your values.