• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Abrahamic Theodicy

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Why would a benevolent God Create evil? This question has plagued theologians for centuries. Presumptuous as it may be, I set myself the task of answering this question, and I've struck upon an answer that satisfies me.

If an omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent (omnimax) Creator exists, evil must be somehow beneficial to us. So how?

Without evil, “good” has no real meaning. To be truly good, we must be faced with a choice. It is only in the face of suffering that we become compassionate. Evil gives us something to overcome, and in doing so become wiser, stronger, and nobler than we would have been without challenge.

Now, it can be argued that an omnimax God could have simply Created us as wise and noble as He wished. However, in the words of Thomas Paine, “What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly.” If we needn't struggle to be virtuous, we would not understand the value of it.

What say you?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I agree, a good explanation of evil could be that of choice. In order to have free will, there must be some kind of choice or there wouldn't be free will.

*note- what a person may consider evil may not be evil to someone else.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If God created us that wise and intelligent and loving, etc., it shouldn't matter how we came by it. He could just make it so that we had just as much wisdom and knowledge as if we had gone through all of the trials, and make us the same way we would have ended up otherwise. That's my problem with it.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
However, in the words of Thomas Paine, “What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly.” If we needn't struggle to be virtuous, we would not understand the value of it.
As far as I'm concerned, any downside of 'cheaply esteemed' enlightenment would be vastly outweighed by the terrible conditions of having to live among evil. Seems to me gaining at the expense of others is not the most benevolent way it could have been set up.

And the part about free will is true also, although if you assume an omnimax creator (as Storm did for the purpose of this thread), then that being would have the ability to create free will from infinitely many "good" choices. The question would have to be whether the free will to do evil is so valuable.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If God created us that wise and intelligent and loving, etc., it shouldn't matter how we came by it. He could just make it so that we had just as much wisdom and knowledge as if we had gone through all of the trials, and make us the same way we would have ended up otherwise. That's my problem with it.

As far as I'm concerned, any downside of 'cheaply esteemed' enlightenment would vastly outweigh the terrible conditions of having to live among evil. Seems to me gaining at the expense of others is not the most benevolent way it could have been set up.

And the part about free will is true also, although if you assume an omnimax creator (as Storm did for the purpose of this thread), then that being would have the ability to create free will from infinitely many "good" choices. The question would have to be whether the free will to do evil is so valuable.
The question is, would we really grok virtue if we didn't have any other options? I don't think we would.

Also, if we assume that God is omniscient, we must defer to His wisdom. If such a God exists, He Created this world as it is, and so must have found it to be the best option.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The question is, would we really grok virtue if we didn't have any other options? I don't think we would.

Also, if we assume that God is omniscient, we must defer to His wisdom. If such a God exists, He Created this world as it is, and so must have found it to be the best option.

I think, if God is omnipotent, then we could "grok virtue" any way He decided we could.

Yes, if we assume that God is omniscient, but that's a big assumption. I say that He couldn't be because of the way things are.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

God doesn't create evil.

Evil is simply the relative absence of good, just as darkness isn't a real "thing" but simply the relative absence of light!

(The latter is proven, BTW, by the fact that you can take light into a dark room but not dark into a light room.)

Regards, :)

Bruce

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think, if God is omnipotent, then we could "grok virtue" any way He decided we could.

Yes, if we assume that God is omniscient, but that's a big assumption. I say that He couldn't be because of the way things are.
Oh, you know I agree with you. I just enjoy the intellectual exercise.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

God doesn't create evil.

Evil is simply the relative absence of good, just as darkness isn't a real "thing" but simply the relative absence of light!

(The latter is proven, BTW, by the fact that you can take light into a dark room but not dark into a light room.)

Bruce

Actually you could take dark into a light room. You could put a heavy blanket over yourself that would block out the light around you thereby creating darkness.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

God doesn't create evil.
According to Scripture, He does.
Even if I accept your premise, which is not the one used by the OP, God Created a reality in which evil, like darkness, is present. He could have done otherwise, but did not. So, why? The OP is my attempt to answer that question.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
According to Scripture, He does.

Actually, it says we came up with the whole Good/Evil dicotimie;

If you look in Genisis you'll see, "God looked upon all He had made and declared it good".

And, "The man and woman were naked and they were not ashamed".

but then later;

"And they saw that they were naked, and they were ashamed".

Ok, so what happened here? Did nakedness suddenly become evil after A&E ate the "apple"?

Doesn't say that. It just says they were suddenly ashamed of something that God had declared good, and that they hadn't even noticed up til then.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers

God doesn't create evil.

Bruce
You've got it the wrong way around;

Good is simply the relative absence of evil, just as cold isn't a real "thing" but simply the absence of heat!

(The latter is proven, BTW, by the fact that you can take heat into a cold room but not cold into a hot room.)

;)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Genesis 1:31
God saw all that he had made, and that it was ok, could do better next time. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.