• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My altar

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So this is the first time I've made an altar for worship. I have what has become a shrine for my mom where her ashes are but that's really for her and not for worship.

This is something I've wanted to do for years, but would get distracted and it wouldn't happen. Well, now the All-Father decided to kick me in my butt to make it finally happen. It all started that painting in the center, of Odin. I just happened upon it and it was so striking, I had to have it. It spoke to me. And it's even more striking in person!

The rest I picked up today from the local Pagan shop. Very glad I stopped in!

May the Gods find this acceptable! It's a work in progress!
20240404_195422_copy_1440x1080.jpg
20240404_195520_copy_1024x1365.jpg
20240404_195719_copy_768x1024.jpg
20240404_195752_copy_768x1024.jpg

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Who is the artist for the painting? We want to know! :)
I bought it on eBay. As far as I can see, the painter is not publicly known and he just sells from there. I don't know his full name, either. So I'm sorry, I wish I knew more myself! Just makes it more special, though!

He has another Odin painting on sale, though:

I had never bought a painting before. I wasn't even looking for one. I just stumbled upon it and had a strong inspiration.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Very nice set up. Do you by chance know what the runes say?
The rune repeated around his head and body is Algiz (elk), a rune of protection and warding.

I have no idea what the symbol to the right is supposed to signify, though. Sorry.

ETA: Unless you mean the ones in the statue... These are Wunjo (joy), Othala (ancestral property/heritage), and Raidho (chariot).

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

I like the seated statue. Is it a chess piece? Would have to be a huge chess set if it was, but there’s lots of decorative sets around.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Very cool altar!

Not sure about the bindrune, but the Algiz, Ingwaz, and Odal runes are present. Interestingly, the Ingwaz rune is the English Futhorc variant (ing)

Algiz can represent protection, defense, or the elk. In the Futhorc runeset (eolhx) it represents something very different in that it represents elk-sedge - a plant that harms those it touches

Ingwaz is tied to Frey, but it is also tied to growth and proliferation. Fertility as well

Odal (Ethel) is inheritance and is definitely associated with Odin himself

If I were to read this bindrune from top to bottom using the Futhorc runeset given the presence of at least one Futhorc rune, I'd say "through trial and tribulation comes growth, and through that growth one reaps the rewards for their efforts." Makes sense to me given that this picture is devoted to a god who sacrificed an eye to obtain forsight and also sacrificed himself to himself and hung on yggdrasil for 9 days to obtain the runes themselves

That's just my best guess, though!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Very cool altar!

Not sure about the bindrune, but the Algiz, Ingwaz, and Odal runes are present. Interestingly, the Ingwaz rune is the English Futhorc variant (ing)

Algiz can represent protection, defense, or the elk. In the Futhorc runeset (eolhx) it represents something very different in that it represents elk-sedge - a plant that harms those it touches

Ingwaz is tied to Frey, but it is also tied to growth and proliferation. Fertility as well

Odal (Ethel) is inheritance and is definitely associated with Odin himself

If I were to read this bindrune from top to bottom using the Futhorc runeset given the presence of at least one Futhorc rune, I'd say "through trial and tribulation comes growth, and through that growth one reaps the rewards for their efforts." Makes sense to me given that this picture is devoted to a god who sacrificed an eye to obtain forsight and also sacrificed himself to himself and hung on yggdrasil for 9 days to obtain the runes themselves

That's just my best guess, though!
Thanks so much! I like that interpretation and it makes a lot of sense!

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
NVM, I see pictures online

"Thor's thunder strike and hallowed hold us with Mjolnir's might"

I wonder if this is a reference to a specific source or if it's the written devotion from the person who created the statue? Either way, very cool!