• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My approach to religion

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Now try and imagine us coming from nowhere: post the results.
Go back through our evolution and think all the way back to nothing..

I propose a test for you to do:
Place an empty box with a message in it saying: 'in 1 billion years: open box. If nothing is in the box, close and try again'. Nothing will ever appear in the box no matter how long you wait. The only way something would appear is cause, and an effect.
But the box is not empty, metaphorically.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I propose a test for you to do:
Place an empty box with a message in it saying: 'in 1 billion years: open box. If nothing is in the box, close and try again'. Nothing will ever appear in the box no matter how long you wait. The only way something would appear is cause, and an effect.
Actually, that is not at all what quantum physics maintains and demonstrates. But don't trip over the facts on the way to publishing you magnificent new 'theory'. :facepalm:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
How so?

My theory is just putting these bricks of the puzzle together.
"In modern physics, there is no such thing as 'nothing.' Even in a perfect vacuum, pairs of virtual particles are constantly being created and destroyed. The existence of these particles is no mathematical fiction. Though they cannot be directly observed, the effects they create are quite real. The assumption that they exist leads to predictions that have been confirmed by experiment to a high degree of accuracy." (Morris 1990: 25)

Nocturnal

"In modern physics, there is no such thing as 'nothing.' Even in a perfect vacuum, pairs of virtual particles are constantly being created and destroyed. The existence of these particles is no mathematical fiction. Though they cannot be directly observed, the effects they create are quite real. The assumption that they exist leads to predictions that have been confirmed by experiment to a high degree of accuracy." (Morris 1990: 25)

So I guess we can't define nothing either? This adds to my theory. But lets just assume that the box has 'nothing', just like time is 'infinite'. Will time ever end? no. Will something come out of nothing? nope.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
So I guess we can't define nothing either? This adds to my theory. But lets just assume that the box has 'nothing', just like time is 'infinite'. Will time ever end? no. Will something come out of nothing? nope.
That's a nice pair of assumptions. They have nothing to do with our universe, but they're still nice.

Me Myself

Back to my username
In conclusion, atheists and deists are both wrong because our origin is something that we will never know in our lifetime; and there is no answer to life.

While most theists believe they know about our origins, this is not true for most atheists. Many can simply tell you "I don´t know anything before the Big Bang"

Atheism is not a set of beliefs, is merely one belief: there is no God.

They don´t need to have an hypothesis or "guess" of how our origins are or how things came to be before the big bang to not believe that "godidit!" is a viable solution.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
John Saffron was givin the koan, "Who am I?" Dunno what he did with it. Probably threw it out.

F0uad

Serious dude your logic escapes the real-world if Time is ''Infinite'' then our history is ''Infinite'' and we could never exist example: If one person needs to ask permission to kick a ball to a coach and that coach needs to ask permission to someone else and this goes on for infinity the guy can never kick the ball.

Also the Big-Bang created time according to scientist so time is not infinite it had a beginning.

Ps: We can define god but we cannot comprehend him, if we belief that the universe was created by god then we can define god as a ''almighty one'', ''wise one'' etc..

Nocturnal

Like I have said, your burden of proof, not mine. You are making the assumptions, against scientific discovery nonetheless.

My argument is one that you cannot disprove, but it is also one that I can prove.

Religion is something that no one can prove. (No one has proof for example that Jesus existed)

If my argument was: Harry Potter exists; then you would ask me to prove it.
It would be an invalid argument because nobody would be able to prove it.

In my proposal, I clearly give examples and tests you can do for yourself, to prove myself. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you- I couldn't give 0 ***** if you don't.

Nocturnal

Ps: We can define god but we cannot comprehend him, if we belief that the universe was created by god then we can define god as a ''almighty one'', ''wise one'' etc..

If we cannot comprehend him and we only refer to him as the 'almighty one', then how can anyone make religious assumptions about him and claim that we belong to a specific group?

Also the Big-Bang created time according to scientist so time is not infinite it had a beginning.

My question is: what caused the Big Bang. What created the particles for this reaction to happen?

I cannot disprove that there is a God, but no one can prove it either; That's exactly my point.

If we cannot comprehend him and we only refer to him as the 'almighty one', then how can anyone make religious assumptions about him and claim that we belong to a specific group?

My question is: what caused the Big Bang. What created the particles for this reaction to happen?

I cannot disprove that there is a God, but no one can prove it either; That's exactly my point.

This may help you'r understanding.

Big Bang Theory

Nocturnal

This may help you'r understanding.

"According to the standard theory, our universe sprang into existence as "singularity" around 13.7 billion years ago. What is a "singularity" and where does it come from? Well, to be honest, we don't know for sure."

The Big Bang theory doesn't even explain the origins.

"According to the standard theory, our universe sprang into existence as "singularity" around 13.7 billion years ago. What is a "singularity" and where does it come from? Well, to be honest, we don't know for sure."

"Extrapolation of the expansion of the Universe backwards in time using general relativity yields an infinite density and temperature at a finite time in the past.[11] This singularity signals the breakdown of general relativity. How closely we can extrapolate towards the singularity is debated—certainly no closer than the end of the Planck epoch. This singularity is sometimes called "the Big Bang",[12] but the term can also refer to the early hot, dense phase itself,[13][notes 1] which can be considered the "birth" of our Universe. Based on measurements of the expansion using Type Ia supernovae, measurements of temperature fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background, and measurements of the correlation function of galaxies, the Universe has a calculated age of 13.75 ± 0.11*billion years.[15] The agreement of these three independent measurements strongly supports the ΛCDM model that describes in detail the contents of the Universe."
Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure it will be answered in time my friend.