• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My journey to being a non-religious, non-believer

Being a Christian most of my life, and have been very strongly doubting whether it was the right path.
Particularly in the last year, I've found that religious people can treat others horribly in the name of religion
and their, "god." Not all, but the sheer number that do is enough to dissuade me.
I've found that once I decided to stop being a Christian and believing
that the Bible was the divine word of god, I have don't believe in religion any longer. Any of them.
I came to being Agnostic, as I felt it was a good, rational position to take. However, I still believed
that there may be some kind of god or higher power. Recent events in my life however,
namely the death of my Father, I feel basically clinched it for me, and I really don't have any kind of
believe in any god. However, I would still consider myself to be both Agnostic and atheist,
given the fact that I cannot prove that there is any god one way or another, or that there isn't.
I don't worry about where I am going after I die, as we cannot know what awaits us on the other side
until we have gone through it's door. So, why waste my life worrying about it?
This notion that I have come to I feel in an essence has set me free, and another reason
why I do not need Christianity or religion. I don't believe in hell. And if there was truly a loving god,
I don't believe they would send me there. So, once again, why should I worry about it?
However, Ietsism is a philosophical position that I also identify with, as I believe in the
possibility that there is something beyond what we can explain in our material universe.
However, that doesn't, at least for me, specifically mean a god or higher power.
It could be anything. I like to believe in a kind of spiritual force that connects everything.
I like to be accepting of others beliefs, even if I don't personally believe in them.
I think we all kind of have to get along, regardless of what you believe in, as long as you
don't shove it down my throat.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
I don't worry about where I am going after I die, as we cannot know what awaits us on the other side
This notion that I have come to I feel in an essence has set me free, and another reason
why I do not need Christianity or religion. I don't believe in hell. And if there was truly a loving god,
I don't believe they would send me there. So, once again, why should I worry about it?
Sounds a bit like Stoicism - Wikipedia
especially Epicurus - Wikipedia
Quotation-Epicurus-Why-should-I-fear-death-If-I-am-death-is-49-74-20.jpg

However, Ietsism is a philosophical position that I also identify with, as I believe in the
possibility that there is something beyond what we can explain in our material universe.
However, that doesn't, at least for me, specifically mean a god or higher power.
It could be anything. I like to believe in a kind of spiritual force that connects everything.
I like to be accepting of others beliefs, even if I don't personally believe in them.
I think we all kind of have to get along, regardless of what you believe in, as long as you

Any thoughts?

Uh, I am afraid of dying though lol
I kinda consider that a separate thing. But as to what happens after death, I don't concern myself with such things.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Being a Christian most of my life, and have been very strongly doubting whether it was the right path.
Particularly in the last year, I've found that religious people can treat others horribly in the name of religion
and their, "god." Not all, but the sheer number that do is enough to dissuade me.
that the Bible was the divine word of god, I have don't believe in religion any longer. Any of them.
I came to being Agnostic, as I felt it was a good, rational position to take. However, I still believed
that there may be some kind of god or higher power. Recent events in my life however,
namely the death of my Father, I feel basically clinched it for me, and I really don't have any kind of
believe in any god. However, I would still consider myself to be both Agnostic and atheist,
given the fact that I cannot prove that there is any god one way or another, or that there isn't.

Any thoughts?
You come to the truth on your own accord and by your own standards. There's no rush because life experience doesn't have a timetable , and finding things out for yourself is the way to do it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Uh, I am afraid of dying though lol
I kinda consider that a separate thing. But as to what happens after death, I don't concern myself with such things.
Nor should it. The universe is what made you alive in the first place , so givin the clear capability to produce life exists, I'm not too worried about death either.

I also had the opportunity recently to sit through a UU church service. It was an interesting experience.
This is just about the only thing I miss about Christianity, is somewhere with a sense of community.
It basically ran like a regular church service. However, there wasn't really any talk about god or religion.
More so different human experiences and values.
This I can relate to. I believe more so in the worth and value of each human,
regardless of their skin color, gender, sex, creed or what their sexual preference is.

Whateverist

Any thoughts?

I can’t blame you for wanting out of the Christian tribe. There seem to be no standards and anyone who will bend the knee and say ‘the words’ is accepted. There seems to be no coherence between espoused values and deeds. I’ve met Christians I liked and respected but it always seemed to me that membership was more an obstacle than an aid. What I like best about them is they seem genuinely interested in a meaningful life; what I don’t like is they seem unable to imagine that their favorite book can ever come up short or that they might need to improve their own capacity before they can make use of any truth it does contain. The worst just seem infantile.

So good for you for getting away from the worst aspects and I hope you can distill and maintain whatever was best about it for yourself.

Is being an atheist the same as coming to the dark side though?
Many would argue it is lol
I like to think I can think more freely on my own
as compared to religion and an imaginary being
watching my every move and influencing
my common sense.