• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name Something That's Been Created

TJ73

I'm tempted to say photons... because they have no mass. But I know there must be a hole in that somewhere, since they can be concentrated into matter.

kylixguru

A challenge: Name something (i.e. a physical object) that wasn't made of already pre-existing materials.
It is very likely nobody shall be able to respond to this in a way that you expect. Of course, you knew that going into this...

The word in the Bible that denotes "create" does not mean to create something from nothing.
It means to organize something from raw materials that were pre-existing.

Also, if the Bible is to be taken literally, which I do take it literally, then the metaphoric context it explicitly establishes for the creation account tells us that it is not at all talking about the organization of our cosmos. It is all about the organization of the generations of mankind in symbolic representations.

Thus, in accordance to the correct metaphoric context and reading of the word "create", the whole Abrahamic religious thing has to do with how God organizes His Children upon those lands upon this planet that are designated as His property.

Reading anything more than this into the Biblical context may be fun and interesting but it is not the practical and pragmatic intent of its Author to have that done to it.

Have a nice day!

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
I'm tempted to say photons... because they have no mass. But I know there must be a hole in that somewhere, since they can be concentrated into matter.
There's no hole. Photons are purely energy, and dense enough energy will turn into matter.

Actually nothing -- not even light.

From another perspective: sperm and milk.

Light is certainly not made of any pre-existing material.

ecman51`

There's no hole. Photons are purely energy, and dense enough energy will turn into matter.

Light is certainly not made of any pre-existing material.

Hmmm. Can you have the most original form of light without fuel, oxygen and heat? Anyone got a match? :candle:

This is a very interesting thread. Makes one give pause....and think.

I guess the query of the thread, that nothing was just poofed into existance without a manufacturing process, in so many words.