• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name Something That's Been Created

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Definition of the word create: To bring into being; to form out of nothing.
Where did you read "create" means "organize"?

Thanks
Where in the Bible are you reading the word "create" and what is the Hebrew word that is being translated into English as "create"?

kylixguru

Thanks
I presume you are asking me?

You need to look at the underlying Hebrew and see that ex-nihlo is NOT what was intended.

Have a nice day!

TJ73

The Hebrew word, translated as Create is bara. I have found definitions like: "to fatten" "to open up" "to cut down or cut away" "to prepare, form or fashion". It seems pretty widely accepted is doesn't translate to create from nothing.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Was there a word in the Hebrew of the time that meant "create from nothing?"

I don't think so. Ex-Nihilo is a primarily Christian idea. The Jews, like most ancient societies, probably reckoned their god created using the already existing universe.

atanu

Premium Member
There's no hole. Photons are purely energy, and dense enough energy will turn into matter.

Light is certainly not made of any pre-existing material.

Dear PolyHedral

On this issue there cannot be a strictly rational discussion but those who meditate will know that the nature of thoughtless mind is glow-light.

Truth is held as beginningless and the Truth is not ever without light. Also,pure light itself cannot be illuminated by anything else. 'Let there be light' to me is manifesting Truth's own light -- bringing out light as in the transition from apparently lightless deep sleep to dream. Deep sleep is apparently lightless since light does not illuminate itself. This conforms to Vedanta and Gita, wherein Shri Krishna says "Know this light to be mine". Light is the very nature of Mind, which co-exists with truth.

But I cannot rationally debate this point. Hope you will understand.

Regards

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
doppelgänger;2327130 said:
Does the Bible say anywhere that things were created from nothing?
No, it doesn't. It said that God created the heavens and the earth. It does not say that He created them from nothing. Mormons don't believe He did.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Thanks
So an artist doesn't really create a painting unless he first creates the paints and does so "from nothing"?

The BDB (Brown-Driver-Briggs) A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament defines the Hebrew "baurau" as "to shape, fashion, create." It also indicates that the Arabic cognate means "to form, fashion by cutting, or shape out." Similarly, the Sabaean cognate means "to found or build." None of these require that there be no "building materials." In other words, the word -- as it was originally understood by the people in whose language the Old Testament was written, understood it to mean "to organize." God organized the universe out of chaotic matter, or element.

The earliest Christians did not believe in an ex nihilo creation. This was a doctrine first made popular by one of the gnostic sects more than a hundred years after the birth of Christ.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
So an artist doesn't really create a painting unless he first creates the paints and does so "from nothing"?
Well, that's technically correct. After all, there is the quote:
Carl Sagan said:
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.

atanu said:
Truth is held as beginningless and the Truth is not ever without light.
What do you mean by "light" in this context? Do you mean it in some metaphorical sense, or the actual phenomenon? (And I'd agree that truth is beginingless, since it's just a statement)

atanu

Premium Member
What do you mean by "light" in this context? Do you mean it in some metaphorical sense, or the actual phenomenon? (And I'd agree that truth is beginingless, since it's just a statement)

Light as sensed in dream and light as sensed in waking.