• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Names, and such

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
"Irenicas" is made up of two words: "Irenic" which means implemented or created to bring peace, and "Kas" which is the ancient greek word for man. Hence, "a man created to bring peace". It's kind of a job description.

Oh, and Jon is my middle name :p

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Engyo is my Dharma name. The avatar is the Kanji characters for it. The name was given me by my Buddhist teacher, Rev. Ryuoh Michael Faulconer.
En stands for round or complete, and gyo means practice. To me this is a goal towards which I strive, rather than something which I have already attained.

huajiro

"Huajiro" comes from Guajiro. It is of Spanish origin and basically means "dreamer". My friends called me "Guajiro" because I always talked about a perfect world which they didn't think was possible. Since the correct spelling is always taken as an e-mail etc. I changed the spelling to Huajiro, which phonetically sounds the same.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hope no one'll mind me cutting and pasting the 'story' of my name from another thread...
"I was fortunate enough to be able to attend a shamanism workshop awhile back. While performing my first medicine wheel, I felt called to put the feathers I'd been holding in my hands into my hair, threading them in like decorations. I loved the way they felt, letting me experience being stately and self-possessed when I'm normally as 'grounded' (to use the esoteric term) as a butterfly, hehee! (Most who've met a butterfly would agree that it has many good qualities, but being grounded isn't one of them.) I stepped out of the medicine wheel a new woman- or I should say, one whom I'd been before. When I got back to meet with the group, I asked if any of them had been drumming, as I'd thought I'd heard drumming in the woods as I'd walked back. Everyone said that, no, participating in their own wheels, none had been near any drums. Jerry, our leader, smiled and said "Maybe it was the Spirits, celebrating the beauty of the woman with feathers in her hair." I raised my hand to my head and realised that I hadn't taken out the feathers, and also realized I didn't want to, either. I wore them the rest of the day, reclaiming my power. It was only after the next few months that I discovered that it was traditional in some Native American tribes for women to wear feathers as adornments in their hair. In the next workshop, after a rather intense sweatlodge, I was able to tell everyone my 'true' name, my spirit name, was "Feathers in Hair"." (Also, whenever I do spiritual workings, I continue to wear them, as I do to important events.)

My avatar is a character named "Belldandy" from the anime series "Ah, My Goddess." Whenever I meet people who've seen the show, I tend to get compared to her. Sadly, it's not because of any magnificent wing structure, or anything. *sniffles* I've never changed my avatar, though I'm considering doing so.

My current quote (like many others here, I usually have a line from Terry Pratchett) is from the movie Labyrinth. It was a favorite growing up, and I've now only begun to realize the significance of of that line. The full version, which I only wish I could fit in, is "...for my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great. You have no power over me." I put that in as my quote when I was feeling like my beliefs were getting tackled and that someone was trying to ignore me because they didn't feel I was an equal. I don't think they noticed, but it made me feel better! :)

skills101

Vicar of Christ
-My name is like the class... hah, funny... no it's not.
-My avatar is Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew Pinsky from the radio talk show, Loveline. http://www.dolland.net/loveline/
-And finally, the quotes in my signature. The first is a well-known religious saying that I'm sure many of you have heard. The second is from the T.V. series Smallville.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I used Jewscout on a previous forum. I chose it because that's what i feel like as i go through learning about the Jewish faith. Next fall i'll be beginning my conversion process which makes the name even more true. I got it from an episode of South Park.
My avatar is Spike from Cowboy Bebop my favorite Anime!
My signature is a quote Dennis Miller used during his rants that i always liked and i put in cause sometimes people get all upset when you disagree with them but i'm just voicing my opinion and what i think.
And of course i had to give props to the best smilie ever!:jiggy: