• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naming your child for your faith

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I came across this on YouTube. A few Bosnian friends having some fun. One of them is named Jevrej, which is Bosnian for "Jew".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkVyF6VE79E

Christian and Christine are common names in the English-speaking world among Christians. You can also find similar versions in Eastern Europe; Kristina, for example, is a common Christian name across the Slavic-speaking world.

I've never yet heard of a man named Jevrej, though. There are some heavily Islamic names in Bosnia and Herzegovina, though. In addition to benign, but decidedly Islamic names like Azra, Alma, and so on - you also have names for significant people in the history of Islam, including Muhamed, Khadija, Ajsa, and so on.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about names like Islama, Muslima, and Muslimanka - which do exist in Bosnia and Herzegovina, however rare they are.

So what do you think about naming your child "Christian", "Jew" or "Muslim" - or, for that matter, "Mormon", "Buddhist", etc.

Would you consider it? Why or why not?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Djamila said:
So what do you think about naming your child "Christian", "Jew" or "Muslim" - or, for that matter, "Mormon", "Buddhist", etc.

Actually, if you go to Utah you'll find plently of guys with the names:

"Mormon", "Moroni", "Alma", "Ammon", "Nephi", etc. (all Prophets in the Book of Mormon)

Granted, this is usually their middle names, but I had a few classmates up here at the university with the name Nephi.

It's a little weird, but it doesn't bother me. I'm defintley not going to name my children those names, but it doesn't seem sacreligious to me.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I don't think I could do it either, Becky. I'd have no problem naming my children (Masculine/Feminine) Amir/Amira, or Samir/Samra, or Jasmin/Jasmina or whatever else... even though that would make them instantly recognizable as Muslims for their entire lives.

But I couldn't name a child Musliman/Muslima or whatever else.

Well, I don't know, but any of those would, in my opinion, be better than Moon Unit or Dweezil! I doubt that, being an atheist, I'd ever name my kids (if I were ever to heve any) after a derivative of that particular word, e.g., 'Atheismo, or eupraxsophil (sounds like a medication, huh?), or Bright.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I want to name my children after different Hindu names for God. I have two boy names - Keshav (another name for Lord Krishna) (pronounced Kay-shuv) and Shivesh (another name for Lord Shiva). Hindus believe in one God who is called by different names according to his/her different energies etc. Strangely, I don't have any confirmed names for a girl as yet. I came across some nice ones but none that I know will be "the one." The Pundit at my Temple said it's very good to give children holy names because when you call them, it's just like calling the name of God.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Hema said:
The Pundit at my Temple said it's very good to give children holy names because when you call them, it's just like calling the name of God.

That's a really neat idea Hema. It's beautiful that you want to do that.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Djamila said:
Would you consider it? Why or why not?

I believe that the name we give our children is important and for that reason would never name them after a religion, political thinker, philosopher, prophet, or idealist. Instead, I would go for names that speak to a persons character, or to nature, or to beauty; or to all three.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What if the child wants to convert when they get older? Would they have to change their name as well? It seems to me to be rather presumptuous to assume that the child will end up the same faith as the parents.

BruceDLimber

Hi!

I'm a Baha'i, and we don't name our children that.

There are various Baha'i names, generally either associated with renowned historical Baha'is like Tahireh, Lua, Quddus, and Shoghi; or after attributes, like Justice.

And many of us have the same sorts of local or cultural names as anyone else. . . .

Works for us. :)

Regards,

Bruce

FatMan

I don't think it's a good idea.

In a previous life, I unwittingly walked up to a religiously fervent guy and said, "Hi. I'm Catholic." And before I could tell him that was only my name, he evicerated me with his scimitar.

I spent the next few months in purgatory muttering, "Hi! My NAME is Catholic, what's yours".

Laila

Radio Frequency X said:
I believe that the name we give our children is important and for that reason would never name them after a religion, political thinker, philosopher, prophet, or idealist. Instead, I would go for names that speak to a persons character, or to nature, or to beauty; or to all three.

Beautiful thought.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Djamila said:
I don't think I could do it either, Becky. I'd have no problem naming my children (Masculine/Feminine) Amir/Amira, or Samir/Samra, or Jasmin/Jasmina or whatever else... even though that would make them instantly recognizable as Muslims for their entire lives.

But I couldn't name a child Musliman/Muslima or whatever else.
My dog is named Jasmine and she's not Muslim. :D