• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National stereotypes

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Do national stereotypes represent reality in any way? or are they just indicative of the prejudices of the individual who holds them?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think they can sometimes originate from cultural particularities that are real, but are then turned in greatly exaggerated generalizations.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
I was watching an X Files episode the other day called, "Fire". It introduced a past lover of Mulder's, who is English. Her accent is so over the top it made me cringe. A lot of the other cast in this particular episode were also English and it left me with the impression that the writer of the episode was either:

a) Making fun of the English, or:

b) Watched Mary Poppins and believes we're all like her.

There was one particular part, which made me want to look away from the screen and hold my hands to my ears... and it wasn't through fear, it was through disgust at the stereotype.

Basically one of the English characters had a bad cough, so another character offered to buy him some medicine while in town, to which the Englishman replied, "Thanks, I appreciate that... oh could you get some sugar too?" I DON'T KNOW OF ANYONE WHO USES, "A TEASPOON OF SUGAR TO HELP THE MEDICINE GO DOWN"! What an insult.

England's full of what we call, "Chavs" who wear hoodies and stab people... it's not full of monocle cleaning, top hat wearing, crumpet munching toffs!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I was watching an X Files episode the other day called, "Fire". It introduced a past lover of Mulder's, who is English. Her accent is so over the top it made me cringe. A lot of the other cast in this particular episode were also English and it left me with the impression that the writer of the episode was either:

a) Making fun of the English, or:

b) Watched Mary Poppins and believes we're all like her.

There was one particular part, which made me want to look away from the screen and hold my hands to my ears... and it wasn't through fear, it was through disgust at the stereotype.

Basically one of the English characters had a bad cough, so another character offered to buy him some medicine while in town, to which the Englishman replied, "Thanks, I appreciate that... oh could you get some sugar too?" I DON'T KNOW OF ANYONE WHO USES, "A TEASPOON OF SUGAR TO HELP THE MEDICINE GO DOWN"! What an insult.

England's full of what we call, "Chavs" who wear hoodies and stab people... it's not full of monocle cleaning, top hat wearing, crumpet munching toffs!

YouTube - Yakitate Japan - British Stereotypes

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
everything you've ever heard about sweden is true actually.

Do you still wear hats with with spikes and row boats across to England to pillage the castles :p

Hehe i was in Bergen Norway about 4 months ago studying at UIB. Everything i heard about Norway was true, such a beautiful place. I managed to visit Stockholm, i love European cities :)

Here in Australia all we do is throw shrimps on the 'barbie and listen to ACDC :)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I live in Floriduh... you know I can't count.

I actually have to affect a southern drawl for people to believe that I am from Florida. Kinda funny.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
When I was in South Africa, I was surprised at how many people thought I was a Bush lover (that extended to Shrub's policies as well). I was equally surprised to hear that people thought I lived in a huge house and that I bump elbows with celebrities on a regular basis, when I told them I was from Southern California/Los Angeles area.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
When I was in South Africa, I was surprised at how many people thought I was a Bush lover (that extended to Shrub's policies as well). I was equally surprised to hear that people thought I lived in a huge house and that I bump elbows with celebrities on a regular basis, when I told them I was from Southern California/Los Angeles area.

Us people on the south side of earth do not realise how big southern california is ;)

I've been to beverly hills, spent 3 weeks there and didn't see a single celebrity, i felt cheated of my right to see a blonde bombshell with 100x more money than common sense

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Of course not, especially whilst drinking some fine Kentucky whiskey which happens to be sitting right next to me :)

Suprisingly, i live near one of the world's best beaches (5 minutes drive from Surfers Paradise) and i havn't been to the beach in like 12 months :eek: Then again there are 3 theme parks across the highway from me as well, and i only went to them 4 months ago because my freunden from Germany was here.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Of course not, especially whilst drinking some fine Kentucky whiskey which happens to be sitting right next to me :)

Suprisingly, i live near one of the world's best beaches (5 minutes drive from Surfers Paradise) and i havn't been to the beach in like 12 months :eek: Then again there are 3 theme parks across the highway from me as well, and i only went to them 4 months ago because my freunden from Germany was here.

Here in America, we are told that Fosters is "Australian for beer" in their commercials. How true is that statement?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
darkendless said:
Us people on the south side of earth do not realise how big southern california is ;)
Big she is. It takes close to 12 hours driving from top to bottom and about 4-5 hours driving accross.

darkendless said:
I've been to beverly hills, spent 3 weeks there and didn't see a single celebrity, i felt cheated of my right to see a blonde bombshell with 100x more money than common sense
You've got to go to the supermarkets. You'd be surprised how many I've ran into there. :p

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Here in America, we are told that Fosters is "Australian for beer" in their commercials. How true is that statement?

I'm a regular at the eer liquor store (2 or 3 actually) and i've never seen foster's beer sold in Australia.
The only place i've seen it is in a pub.

For the record we do not hunt crocoodiles and snakes, i've lived here 9 years and only ever seen 2 wild snakes (1 of them i almost ran over the other day), and ive never seen a wild crocodile.
Spiders are a pain here, i have 2 or 3 the size of my hand running about, bu you guys have that size as well dont you?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I think some sterotypes do originate from some "truths" based on our differnces..

Thats why if you are listening to a comedian for instance..So many times...the stereotype can be about you (for instance your gender)..and all be it may be something your arent exactly happy to admit..your turn red and laugh and say..."so true"..Because in some way you can identify with that generalization about your self in particular...

If all stereo types had no root or basis of truth..We would not identify or see the humor in it...

Love

Dallas

Last edited: