• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National stereotypes

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm a regular at the eer liquor store (2 or 3 actually) and i've never seen foster's beer sold in Australia.
The only place i've seen it is in a pub.

For the record we do not hunt crocoodiles and snakes, i've lived here 9 years and only ever seen 2 wild snakes (1 of them i almost ran over the other day), and ive never seen a wild crocodile.
Spiders are a pain here, i have 2 or 3 the size of my hand running about, bu you guys have that size as well dont you?

This isn't the Aussie epitome?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Haha Mick Dundee was only an icon until he stopped paying his taxes. Back in the day he did tourism ads holding a Fosters. Next time i go to the bottlo (aussie slang for liquor store lol) ill search for fosters.
If we all carried knives like that around we'd get arrested. But what the coppers don't know won't hurt them, i've got a dagger sitting in my room. Useful for when we go camping :)
I have koalas in the yard next to me in the gum trees sometimes, but usually the birds attack the poor things. Koalas are disgusting and mean :)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I didn't care for the stuff, personally. What are some of the big Aussie brands there?

Aussie brands died with the rise of America lol.

Alcohol wise:
Carlton Draft
Victoria Bitter (VB)(apparently the "Australian beer" but it tastes like cr*p)
XXXX - very popular. The joke around here goes Queenslander cant spell beer so they just put 4 X's there instead.

Theres a couple of others, but my father who has an acquired taste for beer would state his reputation on Bud light's being the best beer in the world.

Something we all do on Australia day is drink beer and watch cricket, so patriotic of us :)

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
The area in which I live is usually associated with the "Beverly Hillbillys"..When I first moved to Florida, my neighbor upon learning where my home was looked at me and said "I didn't realize that you all really wear shoes" We both had to laugh. :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Aussie brands died with the rise of America lol.

Alcohol wise:
Carlton Draft
Victoria Bitter (VB)(apparently the "Australian beer" but it tastes like cr*p)
XXXX - very popular. The joke around here goes Queenslander cant spell beer so they just put 4 X's there instead.

Theres a couple of others, but my father who has an acquired taste for beer would state his reputation on Bud light's being the best beer in the world.

Something we all do on Australia day is drink beer and watch cricket, so patriotic of us :)

Bud Light? I thought American beers were pretty unpopular outside the U.S.

I mostly drink Moosehead or Heineken myself.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think all stereotypes have a lot of truth to them. There's a reason they exist, and it's usually because they're based in some fact. The problem comes in when people assume that every person of that group is exactly like that.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Not really, i've seen a lot of American beer around. I'm a huge fan of Pilsner myself, its really hard to get it. Carlton make "Aussie pills" but its not even close to the same :(

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Mainstream American beer sells quite well here in Canada for reasons that escape me.

I'd pick mainstream Canadian beer over mainstream American beer, but both countries are scattered with regional brewers and microbreweries that put out some pretty nice beers.

Personally, I tend to avoid beer in clear or green bottles: they let UV light in, making the beer go "skunky"... though some people prefer a bit of skunkiness: they associate this taste with imported beer.

Zephyr

Moved on
The stereotype for the dutch people would be sex, drugs and tullips.

This isn't correct at all, most dutch people don't have tullips..
Maybe most don't, but the one's I know fit the stereotypes just fine :p

As for beer: it all tastes inferior now that I've had a friend's dad's homebrew. It was delicious. Then again, I'm more of a mead/spirit fan anyways.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Speaking as a Canadian who has skated on ice and played hockey but has never done both at the same time, I can say that national stereotypes are not always perfectly accurate.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

That man's a national treasure.

tropic_movie_downeyjr1.jpg

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Stereotypes or generalizations seldom fit the people they are representing. They are more like a caricature.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Stereotypes or generalizations seldom fit the people they are representing. They are more like a caricature.

They may not fit exactly, and there may be a lot more to the particular person, but many, many times, the stereotypes do fit.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Well I don't have ginger hair, my name isn't Hamish or Jimmy and I do not wear a kilt everyday. I also do not eat Haggis for every meal.
So no my stereotype doesn't fit me.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Israel- home of the mad desert berzerkers. we are crazy war mongers.. and we love it. :D

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Well I don't have ginger hair, my name isn't Hamish or Jimmy and I do not wear a kilt everyday. I also do not eat Haggis for every meal.
So no my stereotype doesn't fit me.

Please tell me you've met William Wallace though :p

The greatest Scottish movie ever and the lead Scottsman is an Australian :rolleyes:

Circle_One

Well, we Canadians don't all wear flannel lumberjack jackets and furry hats with earflaps. We don't ALLLLLL love Hockey (though I suppose the majority IS Hockey crazed) and only the Maritimers actually say "oot and aboot". Though, we do drink a lot.

Circle_One

Molson beer's I Am Canadian slogan:

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Joe!!
And I am Canadian!!!