• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationality - is it important?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3539438 said:
Sort of. I would be kinda bummed if I was North Korean...

Only if you knew how much living there sucked compared to the rest of the world, which I'm not sure they do.

rusra02

Premium Member
Do you not think it is a little presumptuous to speak on His behalf?

No, I believe the Holy Scriptures that are inspired by God, state his position clearly at Acts 10:34,35. Jesus Christ refered to God's Word so it is not presumptuous of his followers to do so. (1 Peter 4:11)

Aquitaine

मैत्रावरुणिः;3539438 said:
Sort of. I would be kinda bummed if I was North Korean...

I would be ecstatic if I was South Korean, though.

What are you talking about? I'm always hearing about how North Koreans are the happiest people alive, since y' know - they live in the greatest country in the world, under the benevolent and watchful eye of their Great Leader.

North-Korea-is-Best-Korea-Kim-Jong-il.jpg

:p

Aquitaine

Only if you knew how much living there sucked compared to the rest of the world, which I'm not sure they do.

Indeed, that's what makes their situation so tragic - they are constantly told that their lifestyle/nation/existence is #1, which they probably all believe since they lack the requisites to know any better.

Dangerous mentality in my opinion. :yes:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nationality is important to me to the extent that the laws and opportunities for me are different than they would be somewhere else. The geography is different, and there are several intertwined cultures that are different than other cultures elsewhere.

All of that results in the person I am today. If I was born in another country, especially a very different country, I'd be a different person.

But as far as relating with other people is concerned, I don't care what nationality they are. I click with certain people based on shared interests and personality, and it doesn't matter where they come from. I don't have any significant ties with my nationality other than this is where I happened to have been born.

illykitty

RF's pet cat

Indeed, that's what makes their situation so tragic - they are constantly told that their lifestyle/nation/existence is #1, which they probably all believe since they lack the requisites to know any better.

Dangerous mentality in my opinion. :yes:

Sounds like some other big country too if you ask me. :p

Also, I think more people are aware of it than most think, just they can't do anything about it. If you fear for your life, you're going to do what they tell you. The Kims are known to send the whole family to prison camp after all, not just the "culprit". There's many people who try to leave. Anyway, different topic.

I don't think nationality is important. The most I've got in common with mine is love of maple syrup. Also, culture doesn't equal nation, as someone from Quebec, you'll see it's quite different from the rest of Canada. Heck even in Quebec itself you got many different cultures. UK is a small country but got many different cultures too.

I'm the kind of person who thinks we shouldn't be defined by imaginary borders.