• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Near Death experiences to atheist

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Can these spiritualists explain what they mean by "astral matter" for us to tell exactly what it is they're talking about?

Yes, there is a lot more detail on the structure of matter in the Theosophical teachings I have seen. The level of detail blew me away and I must admit I can't give you a short synopsis here as it was awhile ago and it was more detail than I wanted to handle at the time.

The theosophical literature is out there and anyone interested could do some digging. I bought books at a local 'esoteric-like' bookstore years ago but someone nowadays you could probably start on the internet. They have some classic books on the astral plane.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
And what does unusual brain activity mean when science doesn't yet understand normal consciousness.

This doesn't make sense. The point is the reasonable explanation is that the brain is working in a very non-paranormal way when giving the person hallucinations.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, there is a lot more detail on the structure of matter in the Theosophical teachings I have seen. The level of detail blew me away and I must admit I can't give you a short synopsis here as it was awhile ago and it was more detail than I wanted to handle at the time.

The theosophical literature is out there and anyone interested could do some digging. I bought books at a local 'esoteric-like' bookstore years ago but someone nowadays you could probably start on the internet. They have some classic books on the astral plane.

IOW, while you can't explain what "astral matter" means or even recount what other people have said it means, you assure us that it's wonderful. I think we've heard this song from you before.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yes, the Long Island Medium saw them after drinking Long Island Ice Teas. That meets all my requirements for acceptance.

I take it we're at the point where you give up even attempting to provide actual evidence. I guess we'll have to pick it back up on another thread at some later point.

Hitchey

Simple question: How can you explain the numerous reports of people that can see outside of their body when they die and come back to life? (To atheist)
According to a brief story in the current issue of New Scientist (Jun 22-28 2013) researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology have demonstrated that out-of-body experiences can be induced when subjects' senses receive conflicting information.

Michael Shermer has some videos on You Tube that examines phenomena that also induce similar experiences.

I am a skeptic when it comes to claims of astral projection. As real as such experiences seem to be for those who claim them hearsay evidence simply cannot be taken as proof. As far as I know there is no definitive evidence that such experiences are not simply taking place in the mind.

Oh, I am an atheist.