• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Necessity of ritual in religion

Burchfam

I would like to hear views on this. In my own religion, ritual is essential. We are required to bend our knees to the deity 1200 times each day, for six hours.

Popeyesays

Burchfam said:
I would like to hear views on this. In my own religion, ritual is essential. We are required to bend our knees to the deity 1200 times each day, for six hours.

That depends upon how you define 'ritual'
Main Entry: 2ritual
Function: noun
1 : the established form for a ceremony; specifically : the order of words prescribed for a religious ceremony
2 a : ritual observance; specifically : a system of rites b : a ceremonial act or action c : an act or series of acts regularly repeated in a set precise manner

The Baha`i Faith has only three rituals by that definition. A single verse repeated by husband and wife at the marriage ceremony, a particular prayer recited at Baha`i funerals, and daily obligatory prayer (there are three forms of the daily obligatory prayer, only one is required each day, two have particular obeisances included.)

The observance of the Feast each 19 day month is to be without any ritual as are other devotionals.

Regards,
Scott

Burchfam

Popeyesays said:
That depends upon how you define 'ritual'
Main Entry: 2ritual
Function: noun
1 : the established form for a ceremony; specifically : the order of words prescribed for a religious ceremony
2 a : ritual observance; specifically : a system of rites b : a ceremonial act or action c : an act or series of acts regularly repeated in a set precise manner

The Baha`i Faith has only three rituals by that definition. A single verse repeated by husband and wife at the marriage ceremony, a particular prayer recited at Baha`i funerals, and daily obligatory prayer (there are three forms of the daily obligatory prayer, only one is required each day, two have particular obeisances included.)

The observance of the Feast each 19 day month is to be without any ritual as are other devotionals.

Regards,
Scott

Are those daily ritual compulsary for all members of the faith?

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Burchfam said:
I tend to take the opposite view. Ritual can prove useful, provided one doesn't become attached to the act for itself in itself, but 'tis hardly necessary.

By the by, who and/or what is "the deity"? :)

CDRaider

To me, the rituals are something that are there to make sure the person is reminded on a daily basis of how they should live their lives. I really identify with the Jewish doctorine but I don't idenify with the laws and so am struggling with that.

I do see the validity behind rituals though. I really think that it give the person an opportunity and a set time to remember their faith and to take the time out of thier day to recognize that they must live a good life according to their faith. Kudos to rituals... i can't even take my vitamins everymorning so i really respect people who are diligent about it.

Burchfam

Nordicßearskin said:
I tend to take the opposite view. Ritual can prove useful, provided one doesn't become attached to the act for itself in itself, but 'tis hardly necessary.

By the by, who and/or what is "the deity"? :)

For us, it is the act itself that is necessary. The deity is the supreme God Wr-alda, the father of Frya, our teacher.

Burchfam

jmoum said:
Huh, that's an interesting ritual. Why do you have to do it so often? Does it have any great significance or is it just an act you're required to perform?

It is a mark of our complete devotion.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Humans are ritual creatures. Most of us go through the same actions at the same time getting ready for work or school. Many of us eat the same thing for breakfast. Many of us always travel the same route to work or school every day. Rituals help us to order our lives into some sequence that is either meaningful to us or expedient to what we need to accomplish.

Religions use ritual because those rituals bring meaning to what the worshipers are hoping to accomplish. Part of religion is identity, and ritual is part of that identity.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Hinduism has many rituals but basically they are for beginner devotees. The highest form of worship for Hindus is recognizing the spirit of God within us and feeling this presence in everyday life. In most Hindu rituals, there are offerings which are given such as fruits, flowers, coconut, milk, water etc. Shri Krishna said in the Bhagvad Gita that we can offer him things such as these or we can offer him our undying love and devotion. Personally, I do not do many rituals. I don’t see anything wrong with them. In fact I think some of them, such as Havan (a sacred fire into which offerings are made) are actually good to purify the environment. I like to communicate with God by calling on him and speaking to him like a Divine Mother or a Divine Father. Recently there was the Hindu festival of Divali…many Hindus do rituals on that day, especially in the evening time. On the evening of Divali, I didn’t do any such ritual and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I had just finished taking my bath, and I started to speak to God. Now, for Divali, Hindus worship that aspect of God which brings prosperity, spiritual and material wealth – Mother Lakshmi. I started to speak to her, I called her Ma and I told her that I have nothing to offer her today except my love. I told her that was my offering to her and asked her to kindly accept it. Oh my God, I felt her presence so strongly, an overwhelming sense of pure love, I started to cry instantly and I couldn’t stop for a while after. It’s even bringing tears to my eyes thinking about it now. I’m not saying all this to show off. I’m just trying to say that although Hinduism has a lot of rituals in it, at the end of the day, we must realize God within us – that we are spirit and part of God.

CDRaider

Hema said:
I started to speak to her, I called her Ma and I told her that I have nothing to offer her today except my love. I told her that was my offering to her and asked her to kindly accept it. Oh my God, I felt her presence so strongly, an overwhelming sense of pure love, I started to cry instantly and I couldn’t stop for a while after. It’s even bringing tears to my eyes thinking about it now. I’m not saying all this to show off. I’m just trying to say that although Hinduism has a lot of rituals in it, at the end of the day, we must realize God within us – that we are spirit and part of God.

Thats beautiful. Geez, I'm almost crying.

RevOxley_501

Burchfam said:
This is a slur that has been levelled against us more than once in the past. No is the answer.

thats why i asked---the wikipedia kinda alluded to that---i didnt want to accuse you without asking

thank you

Burchfam

RevOxley_501 said:
thats why i asked---the wikipedia kinda alluded to that---i didnt want to accuse you without asking

thank you

I think it's because the Oera Linda Book refers to the mothers of the black, yellow and white races, in language that reads somewhat oddly today.

RevOxley_501

yea, i scanned through the book, saw a few key phrases that white supremacist like tu use. are there any hard copies available? if so where? i would like to read it (after im done with Dianetics)

Burchfam

RevOxley_501 said:
yea, i scanned through the book, saw a few key phrases that white supremacist like tu use. are there any hard copies available? if so where? i would like to read it (after im done with Dianetics)

I know of know hard copies that are still in print unfortunately. There is a Sandbach edition of 1876 or a Scrutton edition of 1977, but I would not recommend the latter as it is interspersed with his own New Age commentary.