• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Advice/Ideas

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Pure Math 10, English 10, Science 10 (Which I hope to finish this sememster, in order to do physics and chemistry, which are grade 11 courses), Psychology and Sociology both grade 11, wildlife, and a few programming courses. I am unsure about any advanced courses, I'll have to check into that.

QTpi

Mischevious One
Druidus said:
Pure Math 10, English 10, Science 10 (Which I hope to finish this sememster, in order to do physics and chemistry, which are grade 11 courses), Psychology and Sociology both grade 11, wildlife, and a few programming courses. I am unsure about any advanced courses, I'll have to check into that.
What is Science 10? Is that a general science course with a little bit of everything? A few more questions...
1. Would any of your individual teachers be receptive to the idea of you completing a complex project on the content your are currently studying? This could replace some of the daily homework that you have trouble completing. It would have to show your teacher that you have mastered the content that he/she is required to teach you, but there are many ways of doing that.
2. Does your Internet service provider allow space for you to have a personal web page?

(I'll check back with you tomorrow, but I have to get some sleep now! Hang in there. Things will get better.)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Lightkeeper said:
I think the best thing to do is do the work you are given to do and do it well, then you can move on. If want a challenge, then challenge yourself to do the work you are given to do. The way the school sees it if you were truly gifted you would be completing your work and getting straight A's. Show them you are right by getting the job done.
Doesn't necessarily work. I have an IQ of 135 (or I did when I was 18; not sure what it is now). My academic performance at school was erratic at best because I only did what interested me. Schools are generally geared to cater for the majority of students, who are neither the brilliant nor the below average. As a case to point, we had a box of cards with questions on them in English class at one stage. The English co-ordinator came in, told us what we would be doing, and handed everyone a test. The object of the test was to determine where in the box you would start working from. I asked what would happen if you got all the answers on the test right. 'Won't happen.' was the reply.
After I'd done the test and got all the questions right, the instructions I was given were,'pick a card and start there.' I worked through about 10 cards a period; it was an utter waste of my time. But it was easier than finding something else for me to do.
Get in touch with Mensa.They should be able to help with testing.
Honestly though Druidus, it's not enough to be gifted and rail against the lack of a challenge...challenge yourself if you can't find someone else to do it for you.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Druidus writes:I know what you are saying, but I don't agree. I think school should be a place of learning, not of monotonous drill. I'm always reading something, so I don't worry about that. I would learn more piano, but I've reached the highest point I can without an instructor. Is it so wrong or selfish for me to want to be challenged at school?
No, I do not believe that this is wrong or selfish to want to BE challenged at school. Though it seems with your intelligence that you are indeed fortunate (blessed) and maybe there is one more way to turn this frustration of yours into a challenge. Though I agree with the “advanced courses” idea that QTpi suggested, I have one more suggestion. If you have the time the patience and the interest may I suggest that you tutor students who are less fortunate/intelligent than you? I am aware that some students do have difficult moments with their particular studies and it seems that you have the desire for knowledge these students could benefit from. I also heard it is a way to make some extra money. I believe if you experience the frustration/challenge of someone else coming to terms with their learning difficulties it may help you to understand your frustrations.

Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do.

-My Father

Lightkeeper

lady_lazarus said:
Doesn't necessarily work. I have an IQ of 135 (or I did when I was 18; not sure what it is now). My academic performance at school was erratic at best because I only did what interested me. Schools are generally geared to cater for the majority of students, who are neither the brilliant nor the below average. As a case to point, we had a box of cards with questions on them in English class at one stage. The English co-ordinator came in, told us what we would be doing, and handed everyone a test. The object of the test was to determine where in the box you would start working from. I asked what would happen if you got all the answers on the test right. 'Won't happen.' was the reply.
After I'd done the test and got all the questions right, the instructions I was given were,'pick a card and start there.' I worked through about 10 cards a period; it was an utter waste of my time. But it was easier than finding something else for me to do.
Get in touch with Mensa.They should be able to help with testing.
Honestly though Druidus, it's not enough to be gifted and rail against the lack of a challenge...challenge yourself if you can't find someone else to do it for you.
Actually, I am speaking from experience. I have a high I.Q. and was bored in school, but I did the work. I also spent more time on things I was interested in. Also a high I.Q. doesn't mean you are good at everything. I have noticed that when many things come easy to a person that person may turn their back on things that don't come easy. I think the challenge for Druidus is complete his work whether it is boring or not. Because, when we get out into the real world we will encounter boring situations that have to be accomplished. We can't have the attitude that we won't do it because it's boring or because we don't like it. There are many times we have to get to point "B" by accomplishing "A".

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Yes, but right now, I can benefit greatly from getting more challenging work, and so, I will strive for it. If I get the challenging work now, and finish it, and go to a better university because of it, and get a more challenging job because of the university, it would be worth it.

QTpi

Mischevious One
carrdero said:
Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do.

-My Father
Exactly!!! It is a short period of your life that is spent in high school. You have to do what is asked of you in order to get the good grades that will enable you to go to the college/university that you want to attend. It's a means to an end. Did you notice that almost everyone who has replied is suggesting the same thing? You really do have to challenge yourself. Do your required work, then reward yourself with a challenge. Have you asked any of your teachers about things you could do that would challenge you? They may be happy to give you suggestions.

Since you have an interest in nature and wildlife, have you considered using the online molecular databases to do comparisons and show relationships between organisms? You will find some surprising information. Take this information, do additional research and make you own database. Put the info., along with graphics, into a web page for others to use.

There are online courses you can take, some of which are free. There are college-level textbooks online that you can read and teach yourself.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Lightkeeper said:
Actually, I am speaking from experience. I have a high I.Q. and was bored in school, but I did the work. I also spent more time on things I was interested in. Also a high I.Q. doesn't mean you are good at everything. I have noticed that when many things come easy to a person that person may turn their back on things that don't come easy. I think the challenge for Druidus is complete his work whether it is boring or not. Because, when we get out into the real world we will encounter boring situations that have to be accomplished. We can't have the attitude that we won't do it because it's boring or because we don't like it. There are many times we have to get to point "B" by accomplishing "A".
True. But having a high IQ also doesn't mean you'll actually do anything that requires it with your life either. We have a landscaping business, and the closest I come to using anything from school on the job is area and volume equations. A crew of trained monkeys could lay turf and pavers to be perfectly honest. I agree that not doing the work can be a trap...as I meant to point out in this very topic last night but got sidetracked elsewhere, you can have a high IQ and amount to absolutely nothing if you don't apply yourself.As Druidus will learn with age and experience, the world is full of things you don't want to do but can't neglect. Personally I hate bookwork, but I still have to do it, otherwise the tax office will spank me soundly.
I worked out about myself a long time ago that for me school was about gaining knowledge; applying it in a practical sense is neither here nor there. If it's the learning you're interested in then you can pursue that yourself, and what you do as a job is neither here nor there. I can say that because I'm happy where I am though. Not everyone likes hands on work.

Runt

I have heard, though I can't confirm, that internet IQ tests don't truly reflect you IQ as accurately as ones issued by schools or psychologists. This could indicate that you are either stupider or smarter than you think you are...

My advice to you is this: if you find that your classes are failing to challenge you, you need to MAKE them challenge you. This means setting higher standards for youself than than your teacher sets for you, and learning for the sake of learning, not learning for the sake of getting good grades. I had a few regular classes in high school, and they were torture until I approached them in that way. It took me a long time to learn that getting an A in a class meant nothing if I wasn't learning something... and I learned most of the real learning you do in school you do on yoru own. The teacher is just there to prod everyone along and give you all some basic guidance in the hopes that in addition to the material he/she is giving you, your own interests will drive you to continue exploring certain areas he or she introduced you to on your own.

Lightkeeper

As I recall, Runt is gifted and worked an accelerated program. She just graduated High School. So, I think what she says holds a lot of weight.