• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needless Disrespect for a President - Biden, Trump or otherwise

Are terms like "puddle-brain" and "Cheetos" Appropriate in Debate Yes, always

• Only with regard to Democrats or Biden

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jbg

I will make no bones about it; I don't like Joe Biden or in general the job he's doing. And I will be the first to admit that I have used some choice language myself, but here goes.

Part of me really does not like terms like "demented president" (or stronger), "puddle brain", or "potato head." Right after Trump was elected (I didn't vote for him in 2016) someone in synagogue referred to him as a "pig" and I definitely had something to say. At that point I had not yet shifted to being a mild, intermittent supporter of some of the actions of the 45th President.

However, the President, whether Biden, Trump or otherwise, stands on a higher plane, entitled to a modicum of respect. The use of terms like that is just wrong, even if one totally dislikes him. And truly, I believe that epithets have no place in dialog. They tend to end all rational discussion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I will make no bones about it; I don't like Joe Biden or in general the job he's doing. And I will be the first to admit that I have used some choice language myself, but here goes.

Part of me really does not like terms like "demented president" (or stronger), "puddle brain", or "potato head." Right after Trump was elected (I didn't vote for him in 2016) someone in synagogue referred to him as a "pig" and I definitely had something to say. At that point I had not yet shifted to being a mild, intermittent supporter of some of the actions of the 45th President.

However, the President, whether Biden, Trump or otherwise, stands on a higher plane, entitled to a modicum of respect. The use of terms like that is just wrong, even if one totally dislikes him. And truly, I believe that epithets have no place in dialog. They tend to end all rational discussion.
It makes for some fun debates but I agree, it's better for displaying some cander as well.

pearl

However, the President, whether Biden, Trump or otherwise, stands on a higher plane, entitled to a modicum of respect.

I agree, and I think open disrespect became acceptable and popular with that black man in the white house.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree, and I think open disrespect became acceptable and popular with that black man in the white house.

Are you kidding? People mocked George W. very openly. Public mockery of national leaders has a long storied history.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

In a serious discussion, no. Just making comments randomly, sure.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think there are certain privileges and powers which come with the job of President, and of course, it merits a certain level of respect and courtesy.

Of course, criticism is allowed, and some Presidents might be more harshly criticized than others. Satirizing and making fun of Presidents is also a time-honored tradition. For me personally, when I was a kid and my early perceptions of America and politicians were formulated, Nixon was President. I also perceived widespread hatred, scorn, and disrespect for Nixon and much of the government and military. "Pig" was a rather common epithet for politicians and police officers. Anyone who was considered "establishment" was a "pig."

I myself have probably said some nasty things about politicians over the years. But I've probably mellowed quite a bit in more recent years. Not much fazes me anymore.

It doesn't particularly bother me if people are disrespectful of politicians or other public figures. They actively chose to be in the hot seat, and if they can't produce satisfactory results, then they're going to be scorned and ridiculed.

PureX

Veteran Member

Trump has done nothing in his entire life to warrant any respect. Biden has, at least to an extent. You may not like this, or agree, but that's to bad. You saddled up the wrong horse, and that's on you.

People should be respected for being people. Until they show themselves not to be. Not have it handed to them with some title, or inheritance. It's why we aren't British subjects, anymore. And I like it this way. Trump has forfeited that modicum of respect by his words and deeds over a lifetime. So I afford him none. As he deserves none.

I'm not a Biden fan, either, but he deserves the respect that should be given to any decent man, plus the respect of a willingness to be a life-long public servant. Even if his service is spotty. So I'll give him that. As should we all.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It depends on the venue. I don’t think candidates should be using terms like that in official Presidential debates. But in a forum like this for example I believe it is allowed and there is nothing wrong with it. Trump himself is lauded in some quarters for exactly this behaviour. I don’t think the ability to come up with cruel nicknames is an indication someone would be a good leader, but I don’t have a problem with it.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I have a certain level of unwavering base respect for anyone who ascends to the rank of President of the United States. I respect the pursuit of power and I respect the achievement of attaining that position.

I have criticized President Biden. I have meme’d him. So what. I am not against him. I love my country and I take pride in it. I want him to be a strong. formidable leader. He defeated my favorite President- President Trump- one of the greatest Presidents who ever lived, imo. However it was done… it was impressive.

So when I meme about the Joevahkiin, know that I am still “on his side”… the side of my country, the side of America. I am no leftist. F that. It doesn’t matter. I don’t need to share the same political views. Joe Biden is my President.

exchemist

Veteran Member

This seems very much an American conundrum. In Britain, as our leading politicians are not the Head of State, we feel few inhibitions about being rude about them.

It seems to me that if you are going to have an elected Head of State then he or she must expect to be treated like a politician, with little reverence. But it's not my country.

PureX

Veteran Member
In a debate -- if that's what you really mean -- there is no place at all for ad hominem attacks. It doesn't matter whether it's the President or the Dog Catcher -- if he's doing something you don't like, state what it is, and why you don't like it. That's all that's required.
Actual debate is rare. Most people don't even know how to debate.

pearl

This seems very much an American conundrum. In Britain, as our leading politicians are not the Head of State, we feel few inhibitions about being rude about them.

I very much believe our new congress is going to reflect that. Parliament came to mind watching the Republican vote for House Speaker.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I very much believe our new congress is going to reflect that. Parliament came to mind watching the Republican vote for House Speaker.
I was torn between labelling your post as funny or as informative.

But the trouble really is that if the country elects manifestly unsuitable people, like our Boris Johnson (Bozo), or your Trump, it's fairly hard to preserve the dignity of the office they occupy.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Myself, I wouldn't normally use such derogatory terms about anyone. Though I don't see the POTUS as deserving any more respect than anyone else. I just give everyone the same degree of respect.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
In debate, no, such things have no place.
But outside of that respect is not an entitlement but something that must be earned, and politicians usually fail at being decent and respectable people.