• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Needless Disrespect for a President - Biden, Trump or otherwise

Are terms like "puddle-brain" and "Cheetos" Appropriate in Debate Yes, always

• Only with regard to Democrats or Biden

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
No. Individualism is the hallmark of a well society. Not collectivism. We as humans have not evolved to posses an unthinking hive mind with strict roles and duties.

Individualism and collectivism aren't mutually exclusive. It doesn't have to be one or the other; there is room between them for both individuals to enjoy rights and collective collaboration to improve communities.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
However, the President, whether Biden, Trump or otherwise, stands on a higher plane, entitled to a modicum of respect

**** no they don't. Why the ever loving **** are they somehow entitled to anything other than whatever the **** I say they are worthy of???

Position, rank, or uniform means jack **** when it comes.to whether or not I respect someone.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
No. Individualism is the hallmark of a well society. Not collectivism. We as humans have not evolved to posses an unthinking hive mind with strict roles and duties.
Collectivism doesn't mean hive mind, and indeed we did evolve as social animals. America's sense of individualism is counter to our evolution. Traditionally child rearing was a communal effort and we lived with or within very close proximity of family. That does mean the Nuclear Family is among the least pro-family models our species has seen. Amd it's just basic psych 101 that being prosocial is very typically good for our own mental wellbeing.

Shadow Wolf

**** no they don't. Why the ever loving **** are they somehow entitled to anything other than whatever the **** I say they are worthy of???

Position, rank, or uniform means jack **** when it comes.to whether or not I respect someone.
Yup. An upfront demand amd expectation of respect, that's the path towards a sort of moderate who prefers peace and tranquility above all else, even at the expense of justice amd wrongs being made right. Because if you must respect the position, it's harder to tell the one holding to position to **** off and eat a dick and express grievances as that means disrespecting the office holder.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Yup. An upfront demand amd expectation of respect, that's the path towards a sort of moderate who prefers peace and tranquility above all else, even at the expense of justice amd wrongs being made right. Because if you must respect the position, it's harder to tell the one holding to position to **** off and eat a dick and express grievances as that means disrespecting the office holder.
Absolutely

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Collectivism doesn't mean hive mind, and indeed we did evolve as social animals. America's sense of individualism is counter to our evolution. Traditionally child rearing was a communal effort and we lived with or within very close proximity of family. That does mean the Nuclear Family is among the least pro-family models our species has seen. Amd it's just basic psych 101 that being prosocial is very typically good for our own mental wellbeing.
No. I don't agree at all. While we are predominately social, it's individuals that aquire leadership and its individuals that challenge leadership from an evolutionary standpoint.

jbg

Others have commented on this but I just have to say...

LOL!!!!!!
What a way to conduct a debate! Calling someone "cheetoh" or "puddle-brain"? Politics should be above the level of recess in Fourth Grade.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Reverence of political figures is more worrying than admirable. I absolutely do not consider presidents to be on a higher plane, or in general more worthy of respect than the janitorial staff of the white house. Politicians serve the public, not the other way around. All branches of government should be levied with more intense scrutiny, not less, because of the power they hold.

That said, name calling does not more than blow off steam and get some feeling of catharsis. It shouldn't be part of formal debates, for sure. Everyday conversations? Meh. Obsession with how much golf or what color suit any celebrity, politician or otherwise, is definitely not my bag. But I hesitate not a bit to call Trump an evil narcissistic scumbag and Biden a dithering old fool.

Shadow Wolf

What a way to conduct a debate! Calling someone "cheetoh" or "puddle-brain"? Politics should be above the level of recess in Fourth Grade.
Formal debate is one thing. During that it is puddle brain is inappropriate. But as a private citizen having a smoke in her garage, **** every president that has been during my life. They've been more problematic than they're worth, make America into something embarassing, crap on the world at large, and clean the butts of corporate executives after they **** with their tongues. Reps or Dems, might as well call them Bozocrats and Doinklicans.

Shadow Wolf

No. I don't agree at all. While we are predominately social, it's individuals that aquire leadership and its individuals that challenge leadership from an evolutionary standpoint.
Groups have often lead, and individuals are often powerless against a ruling group. Such as democracies, where power is heavily decentralized to the point no one person is in charge amd no one person can do anything. Yes, individual Democrats and Republicans fill the party and are sent to offices throughout the country, as we clearly see it is party policy that governs. And it's largely the same in other democracies, where one parliament of hundreds of people represent one of the dozen or so parties that are represented.
And no one person can effectively challenge the state. That remains unchanged since the dawn of the state.
And my own personal anecdote, the fiercest supporters of a group are often among the most truly unique people I've known. Often they are made into rugged individuals who are rigidly anti-conformists by having known severe rejection. But theys still have eachothers back and highly value the group they belong to. And even those who are characterized as lone wolves have their groups they belong to (even if the groups are much smaller).
Heavy metal concerts are a great example. There, many would stand out in a normal crowd due to the way concert attendees are dressed. But it's rare for anyone to stand out in that crowd because the standard of normal is redefined amd shifted in that setting. And this happens still evem though self empowerment and individuality are defining themes of metal lyrics.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Speaking of fourth grade, I'm reminded of a time when I was in fourth grade. It was lunchtime, and I was sitting at a table with other classmates, and a kid next to me observed that I was eating a can of Snack Pack chocolate pudding. He said "Ew, diarrhea!" I politely corrected him and pointed out that it was not, in fact, diarrhea, but that it was chocolate pudding. He insisted that it was diarrhea. I then pointed to the writing on the can, clearly stating that it was chocolate pudding. He then backpedaled from his original claim and stated that "it was chocolate pudding," but it was no longer. Somehow, it had transformed into diarrhea. I was tempted to warn him that he would be wearing some of that "diarrhea" if he didn't shut up, but a teacher was nearby and I kept my cool.

That's kind of what it's like arguing on the internet.

Twilight Hue

Groups have often lead, and individuals are often powerless against a ruling group. Such as democracies, where power is heavily decentralized to the point no one person is in charge amd no one person can do anything. Yes, individual Democrats and Republicans fill the party and are sent to offices throughout the country, as we clearly see it is party policy that governs. And it's largely the same in other democracies, where one parliament of hundreds of people represent one of the dozen or so parties that are represented.
And no one person can effectively challenge the state. That remains unchanged since the dawn of the state.
And my own personal anecdote, the fiercest supporters of a group are often among the most truly unique people I've known. Often they are made into rugged individuals who are rigidly anti-conformists by having known severe rejection. But theys still have eachothers back and highly value the group they belong to. And even those who are characterized as lone wolves have their groups they belong to (even if the groups are much smaller).
Heavy metal concerts are a great example. There, many would stand out in a normal crowd due to the way concert attendees are dressed. But it's rare for anyone to stand out in that crowd because the standard of normal is redefined amd shifted in that setting. And this happens still evem though self empowerment and individuality are defining themes of metal lyrics.
Perfect statement worthy of a closet communist.

Twilight Hue

I hate making jerky callout posts, but wouldn't the later quote be a similar ad hominem?
Nope because it wasn't directly accusatory and its also pretty straightforward if you resort to personal attacks, you clearly have no more rebuttal and lost the argument.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Nope because it wasn't directly accusatory and its also pretty straightforward if you resort to personal attacks, you clearly have no more rebuttal and lost the argument.

But it doesn't actually address anything other than accusing the opposition of being a "closet communist." The adjective "worthy" adds a personal quality to it that suggests attack rather than rebuttal.