• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New 7 Deadly Sins

MotoEric

Hi,

If someone could shed some light on the inclusion of the sin of accumulation of vast wealth I would appreciate it.

What is the exact wording? What sort of sin is this considered? Is this official Church teaching? Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Devlin

Smoke

Done here.
If someone could shed some light on the inclusion of the sin of accumulation of vast wealth I would appreciate it.
The accumulation of vast wealth has always been seen as an example of the sin of greed, one of the classic seven deadly sins.

What is the exact wording?
I don't know. The news reports cite an interview with Bishop Gianfranco Girotti in L'Ossevatore Romano. I haven't seen the interview.

Is this official Church teaching?
No, but Girotti is a close associate of the Pope and his view probably reflects that of the Pope.

Girotti was just giving examples of how the seven deadly sins apply to community and corporate life, and not just to an individual's interior life.

Stugots

I don't think when this interview was given, it was expected that the media would pick it up and list it as seven new deadly sins. There are no new deadly sins, the original seven are still in place and still the root cause of all sin, with Pride still top of the dung heap.