• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Ageism Vs Christianity

McBell

Admiral Obvious
What I am saying is that to be "religious" is to commit to tradition of practice and belief. A tradition by definition is something which is passed down from one generation to the next. From teacher to student. That is not what New Agers do. They pick and choose (usually decontextualized) ideas and create a personal hodgepodge spirituality. There is no coherent sense of tradition in doing such a thing.

That the major religions all emerged from cultural and historical points in time is obvious but irrelevant to what I am saying. I never said religions were pre-eternal.
Ah.
I understand now.

Thank you for your patience and taking the time to get it through my thick skull.

My apologies for being so dense about it.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Not to imply that anyone MUST attend church, synagogue, temple, mosque... I just want to point out that there are advantages to being involved in a religious community, such a the greater health and well being of the individual. If everyone had a la carte beliefs, religious communities could not exist, because they require commonality.
That's true. But having one's own personal religion does not cut them off from community. I do not attend Sunday morning services, but I am involved with community services with two different traditional churches. I would absolutely embrace a truly non-denominational church that perhaps had something like a Sunday morning Quaker service, at most, and yet spent most of their time helping others.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Needs context.

Better at what? Better for what?

One cannot assess "better" or "worse" for something without knowing what that something is supposed to be doing or accomplishing. Assessing something as "better" or "worse" is subjective as it is in that it projects normative assumptions or values onto the situation but we need to at least know what the situation or context is to be able to do even that.

As for the second, in my experience New Agers are also Christians - either culturally or religiously so.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That's true. But having one's own personal religion does not cut them off from community. I do not attend Sunday morning services, but I am involved with community services with two different traditional churches. I would absolutely embrace a truly non-denominational church that perhaps had something like a Sunday morning Quaker service, at most, and yet spent most of their time helping others.
Perhaps you could elucidate on this. You say you are "involved with the community services with two traditional churches." I'm not sure what this means, although since you say you don't attend any services on Sunday, it likely means that you are involved in their outreach programs for things like feeding the poor. I have a few questions to ask, beginning if I have guessed right. :)

If I have misunderstood, please set me straight. :)

If it is indeed these sort of outreach programs that you are referring to, maybe you could share more about them?

Could you elucidate on how participation in these groups works as a religious community for you? Usually religious community implies fairly regular attendance of worship services, agreement on their basic teachings or observances, in some cases Sunday school, often includes participation in outreach programs, sometimes responsibilities such as being a deacon or being in the choir. and intervention for community members when they are in need or distressed. I'm saying that your involvement in your groups don't function as a community, I would be interested in your ideas HOW your experiences form the same type or quality of religious community experience as the above.

I should note that the benefits from being part of a religious community do not apply to other forms of community such as a book club or a play group for mothers with toddlers .

Scientists really have no idea what it is about religious communities which make them beneficial for health and wellbeing that is not true about other forms of community. They suspect it is the unique combination of many factors, such as having support for a system of moral ethics, a feeling of responsibility to care of others in the community, or having shared beliefs. Obviously further studies are called for to explore this.

Last edited:

wellwisher

I see it that way as well. The basic "new age" idea is that the traditional patterns of spirituality and religion no longer fit and we need to re-evaluate them

Of course with a general notion like that we see all sorts of things - I certainly did in the 1960's. The plays/movies "God Spell" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" are what I'd call "new age" approaches to Jesus and Christianity.
When I was young, New Age was starting to become more main stream. Back then it was sort of the fulfillment of Christianity, in the sense of living the way of Jesus; love generation, by learning to also love your spiritual neighbors. It was the opposite of a clannish religious war. It meant being open to other forms of spirituality. It was not so much a replacement of being a Christian, but fulfilling your Christian values, in the real world via interacting and learning about your spiritual neighbors.

Our parents were from the Golden Generation, who lived through the Great Depression and WWII. When the men were at war, the women stay behind and also kept the country and its manufacturing going; Rosie the Riveter. Men were men and hardened by war and women were women and were finally able to start their families after the war. We were at peace in a country that saw no combat on its soil. Both parents were happy to be alive and both were like disciplines soldiers, with that happy endurance for their church, family and country. The children had it really good, due to a strong nuclear family, the growing post war economy, and the visions of a glorious future in space and beyond; first man on the moon. It was from this platform that the baby boomers, where I lived, wanted to change the world, with the love they had learned. Ask not what your country can do for you, but asl what you can do for your county; President JFK.

An analogy for New Age, was like going to college to improve your mind and learn skills. Once you graduate, there are a large variety of jobs that can use your knowledge and skills and your ability learn and adapt on the job. You are still proudly connected to your Alma Mater, but you are also now an adult in the real world, with your background having made you ready. You did not wish to be a college student for life, but rather it was time to apply your spiritual skills and learn and adapt in the real world. The drugs like marijuana, mushrooms, cactus buttons, hashish, opium, cocaine, all came from Indigenous and Hindu spirituality; to help see and hear God. Big Pharmacy was also doping up mothers; uppers for her busy day and downers to help her sleep at night. That also became part of the blend; black beauties and reds.

The intent was originally evolutionary, via a more open spiritual sense; collect real data with mind altering drugs. But after the Viet Nam War ended and the Love Generation gave up their sandals and jeans, and started to wear leisure and business suits; Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, it became more about making money; New Age businesses, and loss of spirituality all the way to Atheism. I am not sure if one can reverse engineer that time, by starting at the end; Atheism, and then finding your way home. It was a unique time in history.

I was 13 and just Confirmed as a Catholic, the year of Woodstock. My Priest said it was OK to explore other religions. This was mostly Eastern; Hinduism and Buddhism and Indigenous American. We learned love nature from Indigenous Nature Spirituality. The Indigenous American were the original conservationists. I had my strong Catholic background, I was of good nature and character, and I was ready to explore life. That time in history made this easy, even for the young Priests to give you that blessing. Today it is different, since that solid foundation for children was savaged by Liberalism, Atheism and the Welfare State. These were not much of a problem, until the hippies lost their faith, due to excessive partying and then selling out to Government and Corporate America to create the mess we have today; hippies became yuppies. I am sort of a hold out and throw back. Happy 4th of July.

IndigoChild5559

Some people already did.

That's fine. i dont' tell other people what to believe. But "New Age Chrsitainity" is neither new age, nor Chrsitainity

Spice

Perhaps you could elucidate on this. You say you are "involved with the community services with two traditional churches." I'm not sure what this means, although since you say you don't attend any services on Sunday, it likely means that you are involved in their outreach programs for things like feeding the poor. I have a few questions to ask, beginning if I have guessed right. :)

If I have misunderstood, please set me straight. :)

If it is indeed these sort of outreach programs that you are referring to, maybe you could share more about them?
With one, I represent the congregation in an adult education project that they have graciously loaned the fellowship hall as the classroom. I also help in the kitchen with the occasional community dinner. I attend an open-welcome Creative Writer's Group, etc. With the other, I join them on senior trips, and special visitor presentations that aren't "religious" in nature -- a violin concert, a colonial instrument demonstration, etc. And as a regular occurrence I go to a rest home for resident sing-alongs. Both churches have involvement with the local historical society and Chamber of Commerce functions. I could stay much busier if I wanted.
Could you elucidate on how participation in these groups works as a religious community for you? Usually religious community implies fairly regular attendance of worship services, agreement on their basic teachings or observances, in some cases Sunday school, often includes participation in outreach programs, sometimes responsibilities such as being a deacon or being in the choir. and intervention for community members when they are in need or distressed. I'm saying that your involvement in your groups don't function as a community, I would be interested in your ideas HOW your experiences form the same type or quality of religious community experience as the above.
Everything you mentioned above with the exception Sunday service functions are things I am involved in, including the most basic teachings. Both sets of congregants that I deal the most directly with are quite familiar with my belief differences. One has still invited me to Sunday School where differences are more openly discussed. I'm there very own personal heretic and they show the love.

The other set is quite comfortable knowing I would end up being ostracized if I became any "closer." They have truthfully let it be known that I'm a narcoleptic and can't stay awake for services, and privately assured me should I ever change my mind, my sewing basket would be welcomed, although it certainly would be scandalous, in its own right. I was once, decades ago, told that for every stitch made on Sunday I would have to pick out with my nose in hell.

Those who know my differences accept me -- as Christians should.
I should note that the benefits from being part of a religious community do not apply to other forms of community such as a book club or a play group for mothers with toddlers .
You'd have to explain to me why not. I believe in living my religion, so it is a part of everything I do.
Scientists really have no idea what it is about religious communities which make them beneficial for health and wellbeing that is not true about other forms of community. They suspect it is the unique combination of many factors, such as having support for a system of moral ethics, a feeling of responsibility to care of others in the community, or having shared beliefs. Obviously further studies are called for to explore this.
I grew up in the religious community you describe and it was a comfortable social network. But it certainly wasn't one to help the heart and spirit grow -- and my childhood church was very liberal for the times.

I think what the scientists would find would be a simple need to belong. But it's so easy for that belonging to become divisive. I see it within both groups I fellowship with, and laugh with - and at - them both when their country clubness pops through.

IndigoChild5559

True. I suppose that is why some people like that stuff. To have something new.
Oh I completely understand that. But I already explained why I think that ancient religions are a much wiser choice than newfangled religions. I probably don't need to repeat it.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
There are some elements of New Age that really are not religious at all. A person can do yoga for physical and mental health, and never touch on Hinduism.
I think you mean they can practice asanas without touching on Hinduism.

The 'poses' people sometimes do for physical or mental well being are called asanas. Yoga(there are a few different types) is a Hindu practice. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with posing one's body.

Yoga means, roughly, a joining with God. Bhakti yoga achieves this by devotion, karma yoga achieves this by non attachment to works, and jnana by the understanding of what one is/is not(said to be the most difficult path). Those are perhaps the three major paths of yoga, though there are others.

IndigoChild5559

The 'poses' people sometimes do for physical or mental well being are called asanas. Yoga(there are a few different types) is a Hindu practice. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with posing one's body.
The word "yoga" as it has come to be adopted in English, only refers to those asanas. When your friend says, "I'm going to hot yoga today," they are not talking about practicing Hinduism.

It's no different than when I did Tai Chi. I went there to strengthen my back, and to find some mental peace after my divorce. It is practical Taoism, NOT religious Taoism.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
The word "yoga" as it has come to be adopted in English, only refers to those asanas. When your friend says, "I'm going to hot yoga today," they are not talking about practicing Hinduism.
I still think the correct term should be used, or at the very least, acknowledged.

Its a thorn in the side for a fair number of Hindus.

Spice

I still think the correct term should be used, or at the very least, acknowledged.

It also has caused controversy in the reverse. I remember a few years back where a school wanted to include the poses in their physical education program, but the term used was Yoga. It was a huge scandal due to being understood as a religious practice rather than a physical/mental conditioning practice. I would have loved it as a student and I still think it would be a good additional program. A name change would be beneficial for both perspectives.
Going forward I will try to use the term asanas. It makes sense to me.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
It also has caused controversy in the reverse. I remember a few years back where a school wanted to include the poses in their physical education program, but the term used was Yoga. It was a huge scandal due to being understood as a religious practice rather than a physical/mental conditioning practice. I would have loved it as a student and I still think it would be a good additional program. A name change would be beneficial for both perspectives.
Going forward I will try to use the term asanas. It makes sense to me.
I've found most Hindus are not opposed to people using the asanas for physical fitness. Its the complete disregard for its roots that gets irksome.

IndigoChild5559

I fully, fully appreciate that. However, nothing can be done about the meanings of words changing when they are adopted into a new language. In French, the word "fabrique" refers to a factory or manufacturing plant. In English, "fabric" refers to cloth, which is typically made at a manufacturing plant. What can I say? It does no good to protest things we cannot change.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I fully, fully appreciate that. However, nothing can be done about the meanings of words changing when they are adopted into a new language. In French, the word "fabrique" refers to a factory or manufacturing plant. In English, "fabric" refers to cloth, which is typically made at a manufacturing plant. What can I say? It does no good to protest things we cannot change.
I'm not convinced it can't be changed yet.

I've gotta have hope in something, I suppose.

IndigoChild5559

I'm not convinced it can't be changed yet.

I've gotta have hope in something, I suppose.
What can I say George. It's your right to have any belief or hope that you want. I sometimes complain about avocado pits being too large. But my complaints don't alter reality.