• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New member who is concerend about anti-theism

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You seem very pleased with this retort despite it being little more that a petty and tepid form of tu quoque.

Just how does the presumed fact that "( many ) theists" do it render the concern any less legitimate?

There is the fact that offenders complaining about the offense while failing to realize their own fault is hardly helpful.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Are you asking me, Jayhawker Soule?

I wasn't thinking of him, but since you ask, I take issue with this.

I feel that people should believe whatever rings true to them, regardless of the religion or belief they may have. Anti-theism is the opposite of that. It's not faith based, like theism, or spirituality... it's anti-faith. That's what I'm against. The assertion that NO faith is good, without honestly admitting that a form of faith is what's being promoted.

Anti-Theism is a legitimate, very legitimate indeed stance. Arguably a badly needed one, even. And I wonder what the point of arguing that it is a form of faith would be in any case.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I took this ...... as branding him as an offender.

Hardly. I just fail to see how or why complaining against the lesser offense (those of anti-theisms) would be convenient at a point in time when the greater is so badly unchallenged already.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, SpiritualFreedom.

It seems to me that theism is such an encompassing label that something like "anti-theism" is pretty much guaranteed to include overgeneralizations and misconceptions about what people believe and the reasons for such. With that in mind, I think anti-theism is generally unhelpful, because it doesn't appear to me that the opposite of perceived hatred is hatred in the opposite direction.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You seem very pleased with this retort despite it being little more that a petty and tepid form of tu quoque.

Just how does the presumed fact that "( many ) theists" do it render the concern any less legitimate?

It does not. Have I stated otherwise?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh, but that is not the point of anti-theism, DS. It is not supposed to be hatred, nor opposed to hatred alone.

It is rather a warning and a wake-up call against various excesses caused by unchecked theism. Not just hatred, but also superstition-caused damage, misguidance and loss.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, but that is not the point of anti-theism, DS. It is not supposed to be hatred, nor opposed to hatred alone.

It is rather a warning and a wake-up call against various excesses caused by unchecked theism. Not just hatred, but also superstition-caused damage, misguidance and loss.

I know. My comment was about the kind of anti-theism mentioned in the OP. However, I do think that theistic beliefs are so diverse that the label of "anti-theism" is unhelpful to the purposes you say it exists for. Not all forms of theism propagate hatred, "superstition," or intolerance to people who don't embrace them.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No.

Again, it has nothing to do with what someone is "doing" but with the underlying basis of the arguments themselves and how they NEED to be spread.

You said, and i quote:

"I've actually been very concerned lately about a trend I've noticed around the internet, in which anti-religious arguments and opinions are being spread as dogmatic fact."

You are going to see a lot of religious arguments and opinions being spread as dogmatic fact as well.

I feel that people should believe whatever rings true to them, regardless of the religion or belief they may have. Anti-theism is the opposite of that. It's not faith based, like theism, or spirituality... it's anti-faith. That's what I'm against. The assertion that NO faith is good, without honestly admitting that a form of faith is what's being promoted.

How isn't the issue, as much as what it is that's being promoted in the first place.

I think that is an oversimplification of what is anti-theism.
Anti-theists are against religious beliefs because they perceive harm in them, and consider them to be unfounded.

It is actually not different from a theist who believes it would be better for everyone if his neighbour converted to the same religion as his.
Not every theist thinks people should just believe in whatever rings true to them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I know. My comment was about the kind of anti-theism mentioned in the OP. However, I do think that theistic beliefs are so diverse that the label of "anti-theism" is unhelpful to the purposes you say it exists for. Not all forms of theism propagate hatred, "superstition," or intolerance to people who don't embrace them.

That may be a failure of our perception of the term rather than of the label itself, though. It is not supposed to be reckless and absolute just because it is an "anti-".

nazz

Doubting Thomas
It has not been my experience that they are switched around deliberately.

But that is neither a half truth or pseudo science

It's not so much engaging in pseudo science as it is misrepresenting science. I have actually heard atheists state: "science has disproven the existence of God". :facepalm:

I recently read Sam Harris' book Free Will and from what I've read he misrepresented scientific research in the field.

Atheists often embrace scientism which could be described as pseudo science.

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas
मैत्रावरुणिः;3581139 said:
Anti-theism is a reaction to theism.

Who made the first strike?

so you are arguing the ends justify the means?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
so you are arguing the ends justify the means?

Definitely not. Just don't expect atheists to accept the absurdities of theists quietly and subordinately. They have a right to voice their objection through dialogue as much as theists have a right to voice theirs.