• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Rating Poll: "Prayer" or "Prayer/Best Wishes"?

Would you, as someone who doesn't believe in prayer, use the "Prayer/best wishes" rating per the OP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I really think I disagree. You may, perhaps, have a high-fallutin' notion of what prayer means, but I think for most ordinary folks, it's closely connected to hoping to get what they wish for.
Highly subjective in your estimation (could or could not be true). But I certainly wouldn’t call a person viewpoint as “high-fallutin” as it could also be applied to your position if one wanted to go to the route of disrespecting a person’s viewpoint.

Kenny

Premium Member
Hi, all,

This thread is a continuation of the previous one about the addition of a "Prayer/well-wishes" (or "Prayer/Best wishes") rating:

The poll shows a considerable amount of interest in the rating, and since many forum members (me included) already use the "Friendly" rating to show support or empathy, adding the "Prayer" rating would not take away from that but would satisfy the interest we have seen in the poll.

We will probably use either this icon or a similar one:

:praying:

However, some members have expressed that they would be less inclined to give such a rating even if it were titled "Prayer/well-wishes" rather than just "Prayer," due to the potential for that to be interpreted, in light of the above icon and the "Prayer" in the rating title, as their expressing a gesture (prayer) that they don't believe in.

The purpose of this thread is to gauge whether we should title the rating "Prayer/best wishes" or just "Prayer." This poll is public so that we can see how many members who don't believe in prayer would find the rating more usable if we added "best wishes" to the rating title. The number of votes for each option will determine the rating title.

Also, please note that abuse of the new rating will include mocking, taunting, and passive-aggressive usage, such as giving the rating on a post of a member with different beliefs to essentially say, "I will pray for you" as if they were misguided, or giving the rating during a disagreement to imply condescension. All instances of such rating abuse will be moderated per Rule 9, as we currently do with abuse of the "Funny" rating.
I’m fine either way. I do love the praying hands as I believe prayer is powerful!

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Hm. Just thinking about the simple fun I could have offering to pray for people who would feel duty bound to take offence.

So I probably would use it, but perhaps for the 'wrong' reasons.

So you'd use the prayer frubal to antagonize other members? Well, you've just inadvertently proven my point.

The following posts are some of the responses I've posted thus far regarding my concern for the prayer frubal.

The thread "New Frubal" post #189:

I will be completely honest here and stick my neck out by saying that I'm concerned that a new prayer frubal will add fuel to a growing problem that I've seen and experienced on RF since I became a member. I'll say this as respectfully as I can, but I have a problem with a few Abrahamic theists who appear hell-bent to preach and proselytize their beliefs, despite the rule against it. I'll also say that their attitude seems to be come hell or high water, and damn the rules. I'm referring to the ones who have accused unbelievers such as myself of being sinners, rebelling against the biblical God, and threatening us with hellfire and brimstone. My concern is that these theists will use a prayer frubal to further their preaching and proselytizing conquests. Based on my experience with a few of them, I can envision them using the frubal as a means to antagonize an unbeliever who pushes back against being accused of being a sinner, rebelling against the biblical God, or any threats of going to hell. And to substantiate my concern, I'm including one of my previous posts where I addressed this problem. I'm not posting about this to be argumentative or rude. I'm sharing my concern because I see this as a real problem.

The thread "New Frubal" post #191:

I'm asking an honest question: If the Abrahamic theists I'm referring to are perpetually preaching and proselytizing their beliefs aren't banned for clearly and repeatedly violating Rule 8, then the abuse of this frubal would get them banned? These particular members repeatedly state their beliefs as if they were definitive facts and have repeatedly posted what I described in my previous post. It appears to me, as I'm sure it does to others, that these people are thumbing their noses at the rules, particularly Rule 8. Frankly, I'm not sure that them knowingly abusing this frubal will make any difference to them.

The thread "New Frubal" post #218:

I don't think it's ridiculous for some members (both religious and irreligious) to oppose a new prayer frubal, considering the fact that this forum represents different religions, atheists, and agnostics. In my opinion, a prayer frubal isn't as inclusive of all the members as the optimistic and angry frubals are. It can also be abused and used to antagonize nonbelievers, and given my experience on this forum, I can envision that happening quite often. In my experience, the bullying and antagonizing behavior of some theists on this forum is a general occurrence, and I consider it a real problem that has yet to be resolved.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I believe in prayer but I probably wouldn't use the "pressed hands pointing upwards" symbol because, in Judaism, that's not the hand gesture we use for prayer and it's a hand gesture that is associated with Christianity.

I agree that it's associated with Christianity, which is one reason why I object to it. While I can't speak for the others who object to it, I suspect that may be one of their reasons too. Not to mention that I think it would open the floodgate to bullying behavior towards those who aren't religious or Christians.

RestlessSoul

So you'd use the prayer frubal to antagonize other members? Well, you've just inadvertently proven my point.

The following posts are some of the responses I've posted thus far regarding my concern for the prayer frubal.

The thread "New Frubal" post #189:

I will be completely honest here and stick my neck out by saying that I'm concerned that a new prayer frubal will add fuel to a growing problem that I've seen and experienced on RF since I became a member. I'll say this as respectfully as I can, but I have a problem with a few Abrahamic theists who appear hell-bent to preach and proselytize their beliefs, despite the rule against it. I'll also say that their attitude seems to be come hell or high water, and damn the rules. I'm referring to the ones who have accused unbelievers such as myself of being sinners, rebelling against the biblical God, and threatening us with hellfire and brimstone. My concern is that these theists will use a prayer frubal to further their preaching and proselytizing conquests. Based on my experience with a few of them, I can envision them using the frubal as a means to antagonize an unbeliever who pushes back against being accused of being a sinner, rebelling against the biblical God, or any threats of going to hell. And to substantiate my concern, I'm including one of my previous posts where I addressed this problem. I'm not posting about this to be argumentative or rude. I'm sharing my concern because I see this as a real problem.

The thread "New Frubal" post #191:

I'm asking an honest question: If the Abrahamic theists I'm referring to are perpetually preaching and proselytizing their beliefs aren't banned for clearly and repeatedly violating Rule 8, then the abuse of this frubal would get them banned? These particular members repeatedly state their beliefs as if they were definitive facts and have repeatedly posted what I described in my previous post. It appears to me, as I'm sure it does to others, that these people are thumbing their noses at the rules, particularly Rule 8. Frankly, I'm not sure that them knowingly abusing this frubal will make any difference to them.

The thread "New Frubal" post #218:

I don't think it's ridiculous for some members (both religious and irreligious) to oppose a new prayer frubal, considering the fact that this forum represents different religions, atheists, and agnostics. In my opinion, a prayer frubal isn't as inclusive of all the members as the optimistic and angry frubals are. It can also be abused and used to antagonize nonbelievers, and given my experience on this forum, I can envision that happening quite often. In my experience, the bullying and antagonizing behavior of some theists on this forum is a general occurrence, and I consider it a real problem that has yet to be resolved.

It seems like 90% of your posts consist of lengthy diatribes against Christianity, so do you really find it surprising when ‘theists’ on this forum occasionally respond negatively toward you? About time you came down off the cross imo, and let someone else use the wood.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
It seems like 90% of your posts consist of lengthy diatribes against Christianity, so do you really find it surprising when ‘theists’ on this forum occasionally respond negatively toward you? About time you came down off the cross imo, and let someone else use the wood.

God bless you too, Restful Soul.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hm. Just thinking about the simple fun I could have offering to pray for people who would feel duty bound to take offence.

Using it to intentionally offend someone against their explicitly stated wishes would be a rule violation. We would want it to be a positive addition to the forum, not a way to deliberately cross the boundaries of other members.

Kenny

Premium Member

But we can do that anyways with other frubals, can’t we?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's a pretty common icon in a lot of forums.

Mostly they're used in same faith or memorial sections with that type of thing, so I would see it as being typically limited use for the most part.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Sounds as biased as it was when the only text available under religious texts was the Bible.
Many here don't believe in or oractice prayer. Why not keeo it more nuetral, like best wishes, so its more equally applicable across the board?
This place is run by Christian fascists. o_O

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
The poll closes on the Eve of the birth of baby Jesus. I think that says something.

I have something to say.

After the Three Wise Men left...

The Three WISER Women came bringing disposable diapers, baby wipes, and a week's worth of prepared meals so Mary didn't have to cook.

Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays, Merry Yule, Joyous Kwanzaa, Happy Diwali, Happy Hanukkah, and a Happy Festivus for the rest of us. :heart:

wellwisher

Years ago I often used prayer for pain, fear and depression management. It can be a useful way to tweak the unconscious mind since all such things; fear and back pain, often start in your head.

The most useful way I used prayer was when I was doing unconscious mind research, on myself, connected to the collective unconscious. I had reach the shadow or Id, which is the interface between the ego and inner self, where personal psychology changes to collective psychology. There is a wall of fear, since one is not supposed to go beyond that line since tampering with the firmware can be dangerous to your health. Reason was not enough over come the fear of going insane. However, a few rounds of prayers; Our Fathers and Hail Marys, was enough to allow me to pass by and go deeper without fear. It appears prayers are ancient command lines connected to brain IT.

The unconscious minds of ancient people were far more open and permeable and prayer was a way to deal with IT bugs and/or tap into higher human potential.

It is not uncommon for people who reach rock bottom to use prayer as a way to bounce back. so they can ascend and even become born again. Drugs can do similar things but they are not natural and have too many side effects. Their effect is short term and cannot bring permanent change if the IT is not also adjusted.