• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New to R.F. Atheist visited by God...

KAJN

For most of my adult life I have been an atheist. I was raised in Northern Minnesota and went to a Lutheran Church. Socially it was ok but it did not speak to me in my heart/mind....

At 36 years old I was being left by my husband. He was really rude (and more) to me. My heart was breaking.... He left me in our home office, where we had a long "discussion." I was devastated and felt bad, awful, scared, lost, hurt.... I cried and cried. After a time, on my right side I was stunned by a brightness and a calming aura that entered me. It was powerful and stunned me. I was scared, shocked and, well, bewildered. I am certain that it was God. He said to me, in a calm voice: "You are Good." I became calm. Stopped crying and felt loved and cared for. The "entering" into my body was intense but calming. It lasted for, what, 3 minutes or 30 minutes. Who knows. I am now 60 years old and, well, this "visit" has popped around in my heart and brain for dang near 25 years. I was an atheist at 36 and yet God came to me. I put this "visit" aside, but hardly forgotten, for a number of years. I went to graduate school, got married again, and lived my leftist, professional life. But, when I was in pain and worried, I believe, God came to me because I felt an arm around my shoulders giving me support and comfort. This has happened about 4 times since the initial calming/visit/support.
I don't go to a church, I don't want to. But I do feel I know God. This has been in my heart/mind increasingly. I say to friends who get my story that I don't believe in God. I know God. It is from specific experience.

I do not like church services and I am tired of prayers that go on and on at some services. I do speak to God at times and ask him to listen. I am not
afraid of dying. God spoke to me. A friend said to me, "You don't believe in God. You know God. And I do too!" She gets it.

Have any of you had an experience like mine?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I dont think I have had such a "blatant" experience, but I`ve always felt what I call God.

That`s why to me, Faith is more a sense than anything.

Sometimes I think atheists are the sparrow god's eye is on because many, actually most I know personally, are speaking their truth and good honest people. do not let other peoples reality and view of God influence yours. Especially when the source of all deemed you worthy of a personal visit :)

Namaste sister

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I remember numerous experiences as a theist that were rather compelling and potent to say the least. I take such as an internal decision as to whither it's a call or communication of God or a reflection of oneself. Of course the decision is personal by way it's received and interpreted. I think one needs to experience all sides and go with and wherever the moment leads and what it brings.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
For most of my adult life I have been an atheist. I was raised in Northern Minnesota and went to a Lutheran Church. Socially it was ok but it did not speak to me in my heart/mind....

At 36 years old I was being left by my husband. He was really rude (and more) to me. My heart was breaking.... He left me in our home office, where we had a long "discussion." I was devastated and felt bad, awful, scared, lost, hurt.... I cried and cried. After a time, on my right side I was stunned by a brightness and a calming aura that entered me. It was powerful and stunned me. I was scared, shocked and, well, bewildered. I am certain that it was God. He said to me, in a calm voice: "You are Good." I became calm. Stopped crying and felt loved and cared for. The "entering" into my body was intense but calming. It lasted for, what, 3 minutes or 30 minutes. Who knows. I am now 60 years old and, well, this "visit" has popped around in my heart and brain for dang near 25 years. I was an atheist at 36 and yet God came to me. I put this "visit" aside, but hardly forgotten, for a number of years. I went to graduate school, got married again, and lived my leftist, professional life. But, when I was in pain and worried, I believe, God came to me because I felt an arm around my shoulders giving me support and comfort. This has happened about 4 times since the initial calming/visit/support.
I don't go to a church, I don't want to. But I do feel I know God. This has been in my heart/mind increasingly. I say to friends who get my story that I don't believe in God. I know God. It is from specific experience.

I do not like church services and I am tired of prayers that go on and on at some services. I do speak to God at times and ask him to listen. I am not
afraid of dying. God spoke to me. A friend said to me, "You don't believe in God. You know God. And I do too!" She gets it.

Hi KAJN, welcome to the forums. I've had quite a few experiences along the same lines as what you're talking about here, although I don't think any of them were as intense as yours. Either way, they left me with about the same sort of convictions.

My grandpa was a baptist preacher. Him and my gramma quit going to church. Churches are filled with judgmental condescending hypocrites just like the rest of the world. Truth being you don't like it, don't go. follow your own truth it is the path.

Personally I would interpret your experience as an angel or spirit visiting it seems to me you are describing a light body. Had it been God there would be no apprehension or doubt but it was a seed planted in your life experience. All you need is the faith of a mustard seed. I believe one doesnt see or hear God in the type of sense people you'd see and hear eachother. Those are other spirit beings or angels whatever you call them there are many types and names for them.

These are my insights and personal views. I cannot tell you what you experienced that is in your heart.

Taahir

I can almost relate exactly to what you said about the experience. I felt that brightness and calming aura. The difference is I didn't hear anything being spoken to me, and I already believed in God, but didn't have a set religion at the time.

natstew

Satan slayer
Jesus didn't come to save the Godly, he came to save the unGodly, the lost sheep, the
hopeless, the unlovable, the sinners.

KBond

I have had an experience like that, whereby I felt a supernatural force and heard audible words spoken to me. Since it does not happen everyday to everyone, the experience can leave you feeling happy that it happened yet isolated at the same time. I recently edited a testimony collection from people whose lives were changed in dramatic ways. I always find these experiences interesting to read. Thank you for sharing yours and know you are not alone. :)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Hey, K. Sometimes we are fortunate enough to hear that small voice constantly singing within us. Sometimes some of us are fortunate enough to understand the lyrics.