• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newly discovered planet made out of diamonds.

GabrielWithoutWings

The nursery song "twinkle twinkle, little star" might have a whole new meaning now that astronomers have found a planet they believe to be made almost entirely of diamonds.

Scientists say the planet exists about 4,000 light years away from Earth, and is probably the remnants of a once-large dead star, Reuters reports.

Source

PLEASE don't tell my wife. :cover:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't understand this "amazing density" the article cites. None of carbon's allotropes have anywhere near the density of Iron, and certainly not nickle. The planet would be less dense than our own.

A

angellous_evangellous

Sounds like something that the History Channel would make up.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
It isn't actually diamond. It is likely a oxygen and carbon lattice structure similar to diamond.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But a carbon-oxygen lattice would be some kind of carbonyl compound, nothing like diamond. There's no oxygen in diamond.

rsd

ACBSP77
When I saw this a couple of days ago I thought, "If there is a planet made of diamond, then then there can be an ocean of milk.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
But a carbon-oxygen lattice would be some kind of carbonyl compound, nothing like diamond. There's no oxygen in diamond.

Only if it is all mixed up. The impression I get is that large parts will be some sort of crystalline carbon structure, they think this because of it's density.

Also answer your question about iron being denser than carbon. Think about a diamond and a piece of graphite, because of the way they are bonded together they have a totally different density. If you have carbon that has been crushed under high pressure due to gravity and tidal forces can easily become more dense than your average lump of iron.

This shows some different ways carbon can bond, each of these has different densities with some being almost twice that of otheres

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But diamond and graphite are both specific crystal structures. I don't see how you could crush it or pack it any more densely without destroying the lattice, rendering it some sort of amorphous allotrope.
Or are you thinking it might be some sort of fullerite? That would certainly be interesting, but still not diamond.

OK, I googled the densities in question. Diamond and graphite crystals are 3,515 and 2.267, respectively, and the amorphous allotrope less than that.
Iron is 7.874 and Nickle 8.912 -- way denser than any known carbon configuration.

Maybe the "amazing density" that tipped off the scientists was the amazingly light density, when compared to a metal planet like our own.
Not the impression the article gave, though. I think sensationalism trumped scientific clarity. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Panda

42?
Premium Member
But diamond and graphite are both specific crystal structures. I don't see how you could crush it or pack it any more densely without destroying the lattice, rendering it some sort of amorphous allotrope.
Or are you thinking it might be some sort of fullerite? That would certainly be interesting, but still not diamond.

OK, I googled the densities in question. Diamond and graphite crystals are 3,515 and 2.267, respectively, and the amorphous allotrope less than that.
Iron is 7.874 and Nickle 8.912 -- way denser than any known carbon configuration.

Maybe the "amazing density" that tipped off the scientists was the amazingly light density, when compared to a metal planet like our own.
Not the impression the article gave, though. I think sensationalism trumped scientific clarity. :yes:

The planet isn't diamond though it is just called that. Carbon Planet

Listen to this video here

I realised I was being an idiot. It is 20 times as dense as the gas giant Jupiter, not Earth.