• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newly joined

Mahmoud12

The thing is, we (me and my sister) had too many restrictions in our ex-religion. restriction on food , gender mingling, relationshios and oppressive restriction on clothing, which was becoming too suffocative for us.

I' m trying to find a religion which is free from all these restrictions

Shuddhasattva

LHPs are not the only paths which suit your requirements.

Satanism is generally included in the LHP umbrella, but so are many others. I'm a Hindu, but HInduism itself is an umbrella term and includes many LHPs - we call it Vamachara (literally, left-hand path). In fact, Hindusim has the oldest attested LHP traditions.

Neither LHP, nor Satanism, means worship of 'evil,' or evildoing as a religious sacrament, as the popular perception would have us think.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The thing is, we (me and my sister) had too many restrictions in our ex-religion. restriction on food , gender mingling, relationshios and oppressive restriction on clothing, which was becoming too suffocative for us.
I' m trying to find a religion which is free from all these restrictions
Greetings!
You're welcome to remain an atheist....we're rather permissive.

Mahmoud12

Hmmm.. But as per my knowledge, hinsuism also has restriction on clothing (especially for women) dating and relationships etc.. Or most of the LHP's are sort of 'liberal religions' ?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
The Left Hand Path is generally just individualistic, we dress, eat, date &c. how we please.

Mahmoud12

Yes, i have been with LHP before.. Stabist to be exact. they are very liberal, but quite rude and frigid at teh same time

Shuddhasattva

Hmmm.. But as per my knowledge, hinsuism also has restriction on clothing (especially for women) dating and relationships etc..

Not exactly. Any such restrictions are either:
A. Cultural
B. From the dharma smritis - which are non-binding texts that few follow.
C. Both.

Or most of the LHP's are sort of 'liberal religions' ?
Pretty much. LHP in Hinduism is extremely liberal, one might say antinomian, and generally focuses on breaking taboos in pursuit of the realization that there is nothing which is not divine.

One should also understand historical context for sexual morality in religions in general. Until the advent of effective birth control - relatively recent - sex outside of committed relationships generally had disastrous consequences, especially for the women.

As such, it is "sinful" in the sense that it leads to personal and social harm/suffering - not because a book or somesuch arbitrarily says so.

From an evolutionary biology perspective, we can see how parental investment as per genetic inheritance would also dictate a moralistic approach. From this logic there is no genetic reason a man should want to invest time, effort, resources, etc. in children that are not his own (or otherwise closely related - ie, as uncle). Hence, the institution of monogamy etc .

Mahmoud12

Interesting really !!
Do you mean that there are no such thing called as 'taboo' at all in Hinduism??
and , as per the sexual morality, do you mean now withd evelopments of birth control , dating and clothing is much more liberal??

Shuddhasattva

No - many things are taboo, or otherwise circumscribed in mainstream Hinduism. It is specifically the Vamachara (LHP) - which is rather fringe, which transgresses to transcend.

With your second question, do you mean in Hinduism/India, or in general? In general, birth control is what allows for more liberal sexual behavior to exist in society, otherwise it simply wouldn't be possible without creating social chaos save in some tribal settings. An exception is perhaps dress, which need not actually catalyze sex unless people are so sensitized and bereft of self-control due to unrealistic ethical systems based on repression rather than sublimation or expression.

Mahmoud12

OK, Is Vamachara serpate form of religion under hinduism ??

I meant in Hinduism itslef? Liberal sex or clothing or drinking is OK or it is restricted due to morals/ethics/code ??