• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newly joined

Shuddhasattva

Hinduism is actually a collection of religions loosely unified by [claimed] descent from the Vedas and/or the same Gods - often conceptualized and worshiped differently.

It's sort of like lumping Judaism, Christianity and Islam into one religion and calling it "Jordanism" or "Abrahamism."

As I explained in a previous post, culturally - due largely to the reasons explained above, more relaxed sexual behavior is frowned upon, and in uneducated rural settings, actively persecuted. However the religion itself does not contain these elements.

Last edited:

Mahmoud12

Is there a spread thread to know mkoer about Varmachara in Hinduism, so that me and my sister can look into ??
You mean a person following hinduism in Europe, outside, is free from these cultural norms ?? thx

Shuddhasattva

There's not a thread, although I made a post sometime back on the Buddhist Vamachara (which comes from the same root), which might be helpful:

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...rred-philosophy-lhp-buddhism.html#post2987315

I'll consider making a thread on it in the next week or two, but I'm actually quite behind in my "promised posts" to-do list.

Speaking generally, vamachara has many 'degrees' in terms of how extreme it is. At the most extreme end you'll find:

• Living in cremation grounds.
  • Eating the dead, raw or cooked in the fires of cremation - typically as it's being cremated
  • Performing meditation and spiritual rites while sitting on corpses
  • Smearing the body with ash from cremation
  • Sex with many partners simultaneously, most especially from
  • Consuming hallucinogens and poisons, the most extreme end being deliberately causing medical death - cessation of heart and perceptible brain activity, with the express intention of 'returning' to the body after some period of time without the body's fetters. It is not suicide.
  • Consumption of reproductive fluids
  • Consumption even of feces
  • Carrying a skull, preferably of a Brahman (priest) and using it as a begging bowl
  • Deliberately acting mad in public

On the lighter end you'll find

• Eating meat ritualistically (which is general taboo in strict HInduism, although nowadays perhaps only 20-35% of Hindus are actually vegetarians)
  • Licentious sex, but not to the point of orgies
  • Consumption of hallucinogens, but not to the point of toxicity or death
  • Using a human skull ritualistically

Last edited:

Mahmoud12

There's not a thread, although I made a post sometime back on the Buddhist Vamachara (which comes from the same root), which might be helpful:

I'll consider making a thread on it in the next week or two, but I'm actually quite behind in my "promised posts" to-do list.

Speaking generally, vamachara has many 'degrees' in terms of how extreme it is. At the most extreme end you'll find:

• Living in cremation grounds.
  • Eating the dead, raw or cooked in the fires of cremation - typically as it's being cremated
  • Performing meditation and spiritual rites while sitting on corpses
  • Smearing the body with ash from cremation
  • Sex with many partners simultaneously, most especially from
  • Consuming hallucinogens and poisons, the most extreme end being deliberately causing medical death - cessation of heart and perceptible brain activity, with the express intention of 'returning' to the body after some period of time without the body's fetters. It is not suicide.
  • Consumption of reproductive fluids
  • Consumption even of feces
  • Carrying a skull, preferably of a Brahman (priest) and using it as a begging bowl
  • Deliberately acting mad in public

On the lighter end you'll find

Yes I think this lighter version would suit us very well

• Eating meat ritualistically (which is general taboo in strict HInduism, although nowadays perhaps only 20-35% of Hindus are actually vegetarians)
We are looking forward to eat different kinds of food which were prohibited and may e taste some wine as well

• Licentious sex, but not to the point of orgies
Thank goodness no restrictions on sex or clothing !

• Consumption of hallucinogens, but not to the point of toxicity or death
We are looking forward to this as well

• Using a human skull ritualistically
As of now, No need... but who knows may be in future

Reply !

Shuddhasattva

Had you a look at the thread I linked? In it, contains a description of how sex/desire is used in the Vamachara.

I had spoken earlier about Vamachara from a perspective of 'academic interest,' now to speak of Vamachara from a point-of-view of its practice, we should first acknowledge that you need not have a religious 'justification' for liberal sexual attitudes, consuming psychotropic substances, eating other foods, etc.

If we do these things in the context of Vamachara, it is not to do them itself, it's to channel our desires towards mystical experience through the consecration of transgression.

Proper Vamachara holds the principle of Ahimsa as central: indeed the greatest of all the 'arcane powers' is Ahimsa: harmlessness to all, benevolence to all. These things should never be done in a way that endangers or harms others.

Vamachara is a path that demands considerable knowledge/study and practice in order to work. It's simultaneously highly disciplined and undisciplined/spontaneous.

It should not be undertaken solely because one has a desire for sex, psychotropic substances, other foods, etc. These desires are indeed an important part of the practice, but they need to be coupled with the knowledge and practice that together constitute vamachara.

So, without significant further investigation on your part, it is much too earlier to recommend you Vamachara.

You may wish to read the Aghora trilogy by Robert Svoboda, it's an excellent introduction to the vamachara, written clearly and simply and makes for good light reading. If you don't mind reading e-copies, I can send you the pdfs.

Otherwise, Hinduism itself has many liberal/permissive strains that would fit your needs besides Vamachara, and you need not actually commit yourself to any particular -ism. I would suggest you consider religions to be as raw materials, like ore: host rock mixed with various amounts of precious metal; some religions contain more truth and useful praxis than others.

Mine them, smelt out that which you agree with, and practice it. Or, as revoltingest suggested, remain an atheist - there's certainly nothing wrong with reverence for the truth.

Actually in general I have more trust in the ethics of atheists than I do of religious people, including my coreligionists.

Mahmoud12

Thx for the info and PM as well !!

I' m still not clear if wearing short clothes or liberal sex is OK for a girk in Hindusim (not Indian culture?).

Or is it more advisable to be gnostic/atheist to try and connect to god rather than being a HINDU?