• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice guys finish last?

Wirey

Fartist
Can I borrower a fiver?

Sure!

Fiver.gif

I hope you read Watership Down, or this won't make sense.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I have been told that in this dog eat dog capitalist society that nice guys finish last. Is this true? Will I be required to become a total sociopath to get what I want?
By default, you are competing against everyone in your field. Even for me, the teachers I have that share similar views as me, even though it seems stupid to think it this way, will be my future competition. We will be competing over jobs, research funds, and publishing.
But if you go into gaming, that requires a great deal of cooperation among coworkers, but you will still be competing to have your characters, your plots, and other ideas of yours put into games. I wouldn't say you have to become a sociopath, but getting ahead can mean kicking others down the stairs, throwing them under the bus, and not worrying too much about what you have taken so others can have less.
But if all you want is a simply life, then you don't have to worry as much about it.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Did somebody mention games in some context?
Here's food for thought- Matrix Games are a big thriving long-established computer games company and the bosses are Christians, they post little messages at their website saying things like "Merry Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving everybody", and "our new game release will be next week, God willing"
The moral- they're nice guys, not the least bit cut-throat, and their business is doing fine..:)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Did somebody mention games in some context?
Here's food for thought- Matrix Games are a big thriving long-established computer games company and the bosses are Christians, they post little messages at their website saying things like "Merry Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving everybody", and "our new game release will be next week, God willing"
The moral- they're nice guys, not the least bit cut-throat, and their business is doing fine..:)

Not sure assuming their niceness based on professions of christianity is a solid argument, to be honest.

dust1n

Zindīq
Nice guys don't really care about being last, assuming the people who are called "first" are so because an accumulation of meaningless material objects.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Topic title: Nice guys finish last?
---------------------------------

At the start of the play, Macbeth was a much-loved highly-respected national hero and Mister Nice Guy, but then he decided not to be nice any more, and ended up getting killed..

Wirey

Fartist
Topic title: Nice guys finish last?
---------------------------------

At the start of the play, Macbeth was a much-loved highly-respected national hero and Mister Nice Guy, but then he decided not to be nice any more, and ended up getting killed..

You're aware that was a fake story, right?

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
You're aware that was a fake story, right?

Forget that henpecked wimp Macbeth!
As a --ahem-- champion wargamer, I've always played with honour and fairness and have topped play-by-email leagues and won trophies, so being a Mr Nice Guy hasn't done me any harm at all, I could brush Mac aside with no trouble at all!
Here's a trophy I won, it sits on a coffee table carefully positioned so that it's the first thing visitors notice when they arrive, and I can keep steering the conversation towards it during the course of the evening..:)

thrd-cup-sml.jpg

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist
Forget that henpecked wimp Macbeth!
As a --ahem-- champion wargamer, I've always played with honour and fairness and have topped play-by-email leagues and won trophies, so being a Mr Nice Guy hasn't done me any harm at all, I could brush Mac aside with no trouble at all!
Here's a trophy I won, it sits on a coffee table carefully positioned so that it's the first thing visitors notice when they arrive, and I can keep steering the conversation towards it during the course of the evening..:)

thrd-cup-sml.jpg

I donate money to charity, I coach youth baseball and hockey, and despite some recent medical issues I shoveled my neighbours driveway because he's old. And I most certainly am not finishing last.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
I donate money to charity, I coach youth baseball and hockey, and despite some recent medical issues I shoveled my neighbours driveway because he's old. And I most certainly am not finishing last.

Right, nice people are natural-born winners..:)
"..in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize. Run in such a way as to get the prize" (1 Cor 9:24)

Last edited: