• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Jew nor Greek in Christ...

Hi,

...I just wanted to ask this question, why do Christians show favoritism toward the Jews if there is no Jew nor Greek in Christ (Galatians 3:28)?

outhouse

Atheistically
Hi,

...I just wanted to ask this question, why do Christians show favoritism toward the Jews if there is no Jew nor Greek in Christ (Galatians 3:28)?

Can you restate this into something we can understand?

Jesus was a Jew, and Romans and Hellenist wrote the NT.

So what are you talking about?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Hi,

If I'm not mistaken there has actually been quite a bit of discrimination of jew by christian over the years. Any favoritism is generally for the jewish state and the rebuilding of the temple which has to do with christian prophesy.

All of that aside, Galatians was written to address arguments that christ was for jews by jews, and that christ was for greeks, i.e. hellenized peoples, on the other hand.

It doesn't mean JC, should one accept the historical figure, was not jew by blood, but that his message had no nationality or culture and his followers should embrace all peoples.

roger1440

I do stuff
Hi,

I just checked out your profile. It doesn't say much. I'm a little curious . What planet are you from?

Galatians 3:28: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

Where are you not understanding?...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Just Hellenists. Do not mix up Romans like Nero with Christianity.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken there has actually been quite a bit of discrimination of jew by christian over the years. Any favoritism is generally for the jewish state and the rebuilding of the temple which has to do with christian prophesy...

What "christian prophesy" are you referring to? and how would such prophecy change Gal. 3:28: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus"?

...All of that aside, Galatians was written to address arguments that christ was for jews by jews, and that christ was for greeks, i.e. hellenized peoples, on the other hand.

It doesn't mean JC, should one accept the historical figure, was not jew by blood, but that his message had no nationality or culture and his followers should embrace all peoples.

I'm an American; I don't know how most Americans feel (favor or don't favor) about Jews but I do hear a lot of Christian preachers showing favoritism of Jews/Israelis.

If the Christians have been showing us favoritism, perhaps they could stop while there are still some of us left....

Peace,

I assume that as a Jew you don't listen to a lot of Christian preachers but a lot of American Christian preachers preach favoritism of Jews/Israelis.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I'm an American; I don't know how most Americans feel (favor or don't favor) about Jews but I do hear a lot of Christian preachers showing favoritism of Jews/Israelis.

Christian Zionists are actually often quite problematic. The majority of them are supportive of the State of Israel because they believe that it symbolizes the beginning of the ingathering of Jewish Exiles, which they believe will precede a war of armageddon (in which, by the way, most of them believe that the majority of the Jews will be killed), which will in turn precede the return of Jesus.

That is not "favoritism" of Jews, that is simply utilizing Jews in order to further a Christian agenda.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Christian Zionists are actually often quite problematic. The majority of them are supportive of the State of Israel because they believe that it symbolizes the beginning of the ingathering of Jewish Exiles, which they believe will precede a war of armageddon (in which, by the way, most of them believe that the majority of the Jews will be killed), which will in turn precede the return of Jesus.

That is not "favoritism" of Jews, that is simply utilizing Jews in order to further a Christian agenda.
Zionists are really no different from Muslim extremists. They simply blend into the culture more and brandish less machine guns. both promote their entitlement at the expense of those with whom they disagree.

Well, I've never heard anything as dastardly as that from Christians...I just hear sometimes what seems to me to be glorification of the Jews. I don't understand how they glorify them as they do when their scriptures say: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

roger1440

I do stuff
Well, I've never heard anything as dastardly as that from Christians...I just hear sometimes what seems to me to be glorification of the Jews. I don't understand how they glorify them as they do when their scriptures say: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."
Levite is right. Just connect the dots. According to some, specific events are to occur before the return of Jesus. One event is that the Jews are to return to Israel. The Jews are to be left behind during the rapture. Why? Simple, they have the wrong beliefs. They reject Jesus. If they had the right beliefs, they wouldn’t be Jews, they would be Christians. It’s a kind of a no brainer.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Granted, I don't spend a lot of time listening to Christian preaching, but I have done a fair amount of interacting with Christians in America, and I haven't seen much in the way of glorification of Jews. There are some Christian Zionists among the evangelicals (problematic, as I mentioned), and there are also some pleasantly supportive individuals among non-fundamentalist Christians, though I don't hear much from them of what I would call "glorification."

I have, on the other hand, been checked for horns a couple of times, been told I and my fellows served Satan more than a few times, been told innumerable times that I and my fellows were damned to Hell, been more than occasionally told that I and my fellows are Christ-killers, been almost constantly told that what I believe as a Jew is false and my understandings of the sacred texts written by and for my own people in our own language are wrong; and that's not even mentioning being told that Jews are money-grubbers, or conspire to control banks or media or art, or that we use Christian blood for this or that, or that we faked the death of six million Jews during WWII, or other, even stranger and less pleasant conspiracy theories. I've occasionally heard phrases like "Jewing down the price," or "getting Jewed on the deal," and even a couple of times gotten called a "dirty Jew," or "kike."

That's just my experience, relatively common to Jews in modern America. It is nothing compared with the history of pogroms, polemics, Crusades, Jew lynching, persecution, and anti-Semitic legislation that typefied the ways that Christians dealt with Jews for the majority of the past sixteen or seventeen hundred years.

I don't know about any glorification.

Zionists are really no different from Muslim extremists. They simply blend into the culture more and brandish less machine guns. both promote their entitlement at the expense of those with whom they disagree.

I assume that is being said facetiously.

Granted, I don't spend a lot of time listening to Christian preaching, but I have done a fair amount of interacting with Christians in America, and I haven't seen much in the way of glorification of Jews. There are some Christian Zionists among the evangelicals (problematic, as I mentioned), and there are also some pleasantly supportive individuals among non-fundamentalist Christians, though I don't hear much from them of what I would call "glorification."

I have, on the other hand, been checked for horns a couple of times, been told I and my fellows served Satan more than a few times, been told innumerable times that I and my fellows were damned to Hell, been more than occasionally told that I and my fellows are Christ-killers, been almost constantly told that what I believe as a Jew is false and my understandings of the sacred texts written by and for my own people in our own language are wrong; and that's not even mentioning being told that Jews are money-grubbers, or conspire to control banks or media or art, or that we use Christian blood for this or that, or that we faked the death of six million Jews during WWII, or other, even stranger and less pleasant conspiracy theories. I've occasionally heard phrases like "Jewing down the price," or "getting Jewed on the deal," and even a couple of times gotten called a "dirty Jew," or "kike."

That's just my experience, relatively common to Jews in modern America. It is nothing compared with the history of pogroms, polemics, Crusades, Jew lynching, persecution, and anti-Semitic legislation that typefied the ways that Christians dealt with Jews for the majority of the past sixteen or seventeen hundred years.

I don't know about any glorification.

I assume that is being said facetiously.

Sorry to hear of any religious/race hate that you have experienced. But some Christian preachers do glorify the Jews in my experience; I'm not sure if those preachers are part of some conspiracy or not.

Peace.

Levite is right. Just connect the dots. According to some, specific events are to occur before the return of Jesus. One event is that the Jews are to return to Israel. The Jews are to be left behind during the rapture. Why? Simple, they have the wrong beliefs. They reject Jesus. If they had the right beliefs, they wouldn’t be Jews, they would be Christians. It’s a kind of a no brainer.

Well, I'm an agnostic if agnostic means one who does not believe or disbelieve that there is something/someone that should be worshiped (a "God,") but I don't believe that anyone or anything that should be worshiped would condemn anyone for honestly disbelieving in Him/Her/It.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Somewhat. The entitlement's the same.

Not really, no. Zionism isn't extremism. It is no more extreme or entitled for a Jew to be a Zionist than it is for a French person to believe that there should be a free and independent country of France, or a Pole to believe there should be a free and independent Poland; and so on.