• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No other name but Jesus

Zen Buddhists don't take the Buddha's name in vain, they say, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!"

How bad is that?

You Christians don't know you're re-born.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I always thought it was because we are praying to god or jesus christ when something bad happened. "JC why is this happening?"
It's not a prayer. It's the ultimate sign of disrespect. Examples:

The referee makes what you consider a bad call against your team. You yell, "Jesus Christ! Are you blind, man?" Jesus Christ was not to blame for the ref's bad call and you're not appealing to Him for a reversal. If you are, you shouldn't be. He doesn't have a stake in the game.

A driver cuts you off and then adds insult to injury by following it up by giving you the finger. You're mad. You lay on the horn, pull up next to him, roll down your car window and scream, "Jesus Christ! You idiot! What the hell are you doing?" It's not Jesus Christ's fault the guy's a jerk, and Jesus Christ wouldn't want you to be one back. You're certainly not praying to him in your fit of rage.

I seriously don't get why people have to use His name to vent their anger when He is in no way responsible for what just went wrong in their lives.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
My view is that because Jesus Christ is the name above all names, the name of the Savior through which eternal life comes it is hated by the enemy of God and humanity, the destroyer of life. Satan hates the name of Jesus and he inspires sinful humans to join in his hatred of this name...the one name which will bring his complete submission and defeat. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and [/I]that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 1:9-11

It has nothing to do with Satan or supernatural conspiracies. If you don't like the lords name to be used as a curse word, teach people to take responsibility for their actions. A person sins because we sin, stop allowing them to blame everything on Satan.

InChrist

Free4ever
It's not a prayer. It's the ultimate sign of disrespect. Examples:

The referee makes what you consider a bad call against your team. You yell, "Jesus Christ! Are you blind, man?" Jesus Christ was not to blame for the ref's bad call and you're not appealing to Him for a reversal. If you are, you shouldn't be. He doesn't have a stake in the game.

A driver cuts you off and then adds insult to injury by following it up by giving you the finger. You're mad. You lay on the horn, pull up next to him, roll down your car window and scream, "Jesus Christ! You idiot! What the hell are you doing?" It's not Jesus Christ's fault the guy's a jerk, and Jesus Christ wouldn't want you to be one back. You're certainly not praying to him in your fit of rage.

I seriously don't get why people have to use His name to vent their anger when He is in no way responsible for what just went wrong in their lives.

You’ve made a good point. I don’t see any rational connection between the circumstances and the instances when people use the name of Jesus Christ as a curse word to express their anger. That is one reason I believe there is an underlying spiritual animosity toward the name of Jesus Christ.

InChrist

Free4ever
It has nothing to do with Satan or supernatural conspiracies. If you don't like the lords name to be used as a curse word, teach people to take responsibility for their actions. A person sins because we sin, stop allowing them to blame everything on Satan.

I am in no way allowing everything to be blamed on Satan. I believe each person is responsible for their actions and will personally be held accountable for their own sins. Nevertheless, I believe the scriptures do indicate that humans are vulnerable to ideas and influence of demonic beings.

elmarna

DWhen I was a little girl I asked my father why people wished to "curse" in this way.
He said originaly it was not a curse. Those who shouted out his name failed to see the wisdoms of jesus and cried out for him since only he could provide them.
While so many curse in that manner I get a slight smile wondering what they would do while they call to him - if he did appear and set them straight!

Premium Member
I am in no way allowing everything to be blamed on Satan.

Really? You may want to reread your previous post.

My view is that because Jesus Christ is the name above all names, the name of the Savior through which eternal life comes it is hated by the enemy of God and humanity, the destroyer of life. Satan hates the name of Jesus and he inspires sinful humans to join in his hatred of this name...the one name which will bring his complete submission and defeat.

Satan does not cause people to hate the name of Jesus, nor to use it as a curse word (which are completely different things).

Me Myself

Back to my username
My view is that because Jesus Christ is the name above all names, the name of the Savior through which eternal life comes it is hated by the enemy of God and humanity, the destroyer of life. Satan hates the name of Jesus and he inspires sinful humans to join in his hatred of this name...the one name which will bring his complete submission and defeat

Then did Satan also hated this pagan gods? :

Cursing in the name of Gods was a European pagan tradition.

Makes sense to me that it just spread because they replaced their cursing in pagan deities names to their new deity Jesus´s name. Then the fact that the United States people had (obviously) european heritage made them still practice this pagan tradition of cursing with the deities name, and then because of the influence of US cinema and TV series it widespread.

I can tell you no one in Ecuador (most christian) curse with the name of Christ. The only instances I´ve heard Jesus´s name being invoked with a "bad attitude" could be translated as things like "Jesus... give me patience.." and that is generaly to whitstand and be triunphant against one own´s anger.

So aparently Satan has very few ecil troops in Ecuador to encourage what you think it´s behind it. More sensical to me would be that it was simply a pagan tradition that stuck even after christianity.

InChrist

Free4ever
Really? You may want to reread your previous post.

Satan does not cause people to hate the name of Jesus, nor to use it as a curse word (which are completely different things).

Yes, and re-reading my post I read that I said Satan inspires people to hate the name of Jesus, I did not say he forces or controls people. Therefore, the individual is responsible for hating or using the name of Jesus disrespectfully.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Satan pays me 5$ every time I use the lords name in an undignified way. It is proving to be quite profitable.

Premium Member
fantôme profane;2749618 said:
Satan pays me 5$ every time I use the lords name in an undignified way. It is proving to be quite profitable.

I only get $2! What is this bs?!

Vasiel

The Seeker
If I ever use a spiritual exclamation I generally use "By the Gods!" or "By the Goddess!". But then in my experience Divinity, in whatever form you see it, believe it... is not so petty as to get caught up on human lingo.

As for using "Christ!" as an exclamation... I don't believe in Christ, and therefore it would be more of a lie to state that I did believe in him, then using his name as an exclamation (Which I rarely do anyway.)

As for Buddha, well... he knew that labels were "empty" and only added to the dualistic mindset. I do believe Hinduism treats labels much the same way as Buddha (Or rather it's the other way around, since Buddha came later).

Not sure about Islam... I guess they are in the same boat as Christianity and Judaism, though of course misusing the Prophet's name would also be an offence. *shrugs*

Heathens and Pagans generally treat their deities with a brotherly/sisterly "family" air. I know one Heathen who was a follower of Loki who literally used to swear at his patron. But then, Loki has always had a sense of humor according to the old writings (The Eddas). So I'm sure he was pretty chill about the whole affair, and probably swore back just as much.

Last edited:

elmarna

WOW! Have not heard that expresion since I was a little girl!
Hey - does that make Holy Cow the golden calf???

blackout

Violet.
Honestly, it just seems to flow easier. I am sure there is much more to it though. First of all, Buddha seems to hold much more respect than Christ does. What the actual history is, I have no idea. However, the Abrahamic God is the only one who says not to take his name in vain. Buddha, Krishna, and others (to my knowledge) were not super controlling or anything, allowing their followers to speak freely.

In short, I have no idea hahaha.

There you go. It's right there.;)

Blackdog22

I say Holy Cow, Krishna, By the Gods(Zeus, Ares, etc)... I also hear other people using these names. So by your logic every evil being that is against these beings is inspiring me?

What if years from now people start saying, "Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster!!" Does that mean that the Spaghetti monsters nemesis is real and thus the Spaghetti Monster is real? Is this your line of thought?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I say Holy Cow, Krishna, By the Gods(Zeus, Ares, etc)... I also hear other people using these names. So by your logic every evil being that is against these beings is inspiring me?

What if years from now people start saying, "Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster!!" Does that mean that the Spaghetti monsters nemesis is real and thus the Spaghetti Monster is real? Is this your line of thought?

It wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes: