• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noahs ark and the food chain

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Can I also just throw out there, it would be pretty hard to fit 2 of every unclean and 14 of every clean animal on a boat that is 450 feet long, 175 feet wide, and 40 feet high. I'm not an expert of geometry or anything, but elephants, rhinos, and such are pretty big...

RedOne77

Vegetation does exist underwater but it has to be above the aphotic zone to be able to photosynthesize. The aphotic zone starts at about 660 ft. If Noah ended up on top of mount Ararat then the flood waters must have been higher than that mountain which is nearly 17000ft at its highest point. So underwater vegetation could exist only on top of the highest mountains which would mean it would be very limited.

Until now I have never heard of a floating forest, from what I can gather they are a YEC theory but none exist today?

The actual text of Genesis can be interpreted two ways regarding the water level. One, the waters rose 15 cubits above the highest mountains. Or two, the waters rose 15 cubits above the land which in turn was above the highest mountains in that region for that time. The latter has been used to hypothesize that major geological changes occurred, namely the formation of the mountain ranges, and it also solves the problem of vegetation being below the aphotic zone.

I couldn't find your reference to 'floating forests', but maybe it is the same thing as "floating islands" which I've talked about before. They are real phenomena and occur after violent storms such as hurricanes. The largest known was over 15 miles long! And some have trees towering over 50ft. in height with fully equipped roots systems still intact, and they can support a limited ecosystem.

Man of Faith

Vegetation does exist underwater but it has to be above the aphotic zone to be able to photosynthesize. The aphotic zone starts at about 660 ft. If Noah ended up on top of mount Ararat then the flood waters must have been higher than that mountain which is nearly 17000ft at its highest point. So underwater vegetation could exist only on top of the highest mountains which would mean it would be very limited.

Until now I have never heard of a floating forest, from what I can gather they are a YEC theory but none exist today?

Here is some information on floating vegetation and forests.
http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/tussocks.html

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Such a suggestion should be seen as blasphemous.... God said very clearly in Genesis 7:4
For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

Why is it ok for Ken Ham and the creationists to change God's word? God either killed everything or he didn't. No loopholes.

wa:do

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
Such a suggestion should be seen as blasphemous.... God said very clearly in Genesis 7:4

Why is it ok for Ken Ham and the creationists to change God's word? God either killed everything or he didn't. No loopholes.

You're going to find that creationism is all about loopholes.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

painted wolf said:

It has always struck me as odd that the creationists struggle so hard to create the veneer of real science over their nonsense when all they have to acknowledge is that the Genesis story is allegorical, metaphorical or mythic, or simply admit that there is no science involved and that an omnipotent God performed miracles. It's like they realize the profound impact and explanatory power science has had on the world yet are reluctant to actually utilize scientific principles and instead create the illusion of scientific inquiry to disguise the abject absurdities within.

johnhanks

I noted this paradox in a post some time back: creationists are driven by belief in the literal truth of scripture to accept the flood story; then in trying to make the flood story stand up they have to distort the very scripture that made them accept it.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
You're assuming creationism requires internal consistency, when all it really requires is "evolution is wrong and the Bible is right".

There honestly isn't much more to it than that.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
The Biblical story has a dove bringing back an olive branch to Noah, so from that we can deduce that all the vegetation didn't die. We know that vegetation lives underwater and the sun can shine underwater. Also there are floating forests today so that is another possiblity.
Floating forests or tussocks occur in shallow water conditions like lakes or marshlands and aren't normally present in deep oceans. Even if floating islands were plausible in replenishing plant life how would the various plant species be relocated to their appropriate biomes? How would, say, the rare psammophytes, like the Pholsima sonorae (sand food) which has a complex parasitic relationship with other perrenials like the Eriogonium deserticola and Tiqulia plicata, arrive in, and only in, the Algodones Dunes of California? How did they get here? When were there enough insects and birds to pollinate the various plant species? What about plants that spread their seed in the feces of animals or as burrs on their fur? The planet would have been so underpopulated by animals the statistical likelihood of plants requiring reproduction on the coattails of animals would doom the vegetation to extinction. A global flood requires the relocation of such a vast selection of fauna over the entire planet under an impossibly short timeline it's simply another impossibility to add to the creationist list. And if I accept the creationist claim that there were only a small variety of plants which diversified later on, well, the speed and degree of macroevolution involved would make Goldschmitt slack jawed.

Some creationists who accept the Biblical passage "every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth" claim that Noah and crew collected the seeds necessary to regrow plant life. Besides the obvious problem of the sheer quantity of seeds necessary to start over and the specific climates and soils and food different species require (the same ol' arguments for the ark's animal menagerie applies to the vegetable menagerie) and the requirements of a small band of people replanting everything is simply too massive an undertaking. Let's say they managed such a task somehow- I ask just how could they when the receding waters would have left a topsoil saturated with salts any regrowth would be impossible for a long time. It's pathetic the ridiculous lengths creationists go to explain away their nonsense when they simply have to fall back on divine fiat to maintain their blissful delusions in their womb of ignorance.

Man of Faith

Floating forests or tussocks occur in shallow water conditions like lakes or marshlands and aren't normally present in deep oceans. Even if floating islands were plausible in replenishing plant life how would the various plant species be relocated to their appropriate biomes? How would, say, the rare psammophytes, like the Pholsima sonorae (sand food) which has a complex parasitic relationship with other perrenials like the Eriogonium deserticola and Tiqulia plicata, arrive in, and only in, the Algodones Dunes of California? How did they get here? When were there enough insects and birds to pollinate the various plant species? What about plants that spread their seed in the feces of animals or as burrs on their fur? The planet would have been so underpopulated by animals the statistical likelihood of plants requiring reproduction on the coattails of animals would doom the vegetation to extinction. A global flood requires the relocation of such a vast selection of fauna over the entire planet under an impossibly short timeline it's simply another impossibility to add to the creationist list. And if I accept the creationist claim that there were only a small variety of plants which diversified later on, well, the speed and degree of macroevolution involved would make Goldschmitt slack jawed.

Some creationists who accept the Biblical passage "every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth" claim that Noah and crew collected the seeds necessary to regrow plant life. Besides the obvious problem of the sheer quantity of seeds necessary to start over and the specific climates and soils and food different species require (the same ol' arguments for the ark's animal menagerie applies to the vegetable menagerie) and the requirements of a small band of people replanting everything is simply too massive an undertaking. Let's say they managed such a task somehow- I ask just how could they when the receding waters would have left a topsoil saturated with salts any regrowth would be impossible for a long time. It's pathetic the ridiculous lengths creationists go to explain away their nonsense when they simply have to fall back on divine fiat to maintain their blissful delusions in their womb of ignorance.

We don't know the salinity of the water during the flood. Seeds could have survived the flood and replanted themselves. Only the air breathing earth living animals and humans were destroyed by the flood, not plants or water animals. If we look at the population expansion of humans we can see how populations reproduce exponentially. I don’t have a problem with it.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
We don't know the salinity of the water during the flood. Seeds could have survived the flood and replanted themselves. Only the air breathing earth living animals and humans were destroyed by the flood, not plants or water animals. If we look at the population expansion of humans we can see how populations reproduce exponentially. I don’t have a problem with it.
Of course you don't have a problem with it when you're woefully ignorant of the complete lack of evidence for a worldwide flood and painfully oblivious to the problems such a flood would raise for the proliferation fo life.

You obviously ignored my previous post- how could seeds replant themselves? I mentioned several problems with this in my post including the absence of any fertile topsoil after a flood. How would the various plant species be relocated to their appropriate biomes. How did plants that spread their seed in the feces of animals or as burrs on their fur prosper? Etc., etc. I accept that creationists lie, delude themselves into accepting nonsense, distort facts and just plain ignore evidence that contradicts their claims. I accept this even though it makes posts like yours boring. C'mon, I have several more hours of work left and it'd be nice to actually have a rebuttal or two to pass the time. I accept your ignorance, but being dull is just plain inexcusable.

Man of Faith

Of course you don't have a problem with it when you're woefully ignorant of the complete lack of evidence for a worldwide flood and painfully oblivious to the problems such a flood would raise for the proliferation fo life.

You obviously ignored my previous post- how could seeds replant themselves? I mentioned several problems with this in my post including the absence of any fertile topsoil after a flood. How would the various plant species be relocated to their appropriate biomes. How did plants that spread their seed in the feces of animals or as burrs on their fur prosper? Etc., etc. I accept that creationists lie, delude themselves into accepting nonsense, distort facts and just plain ignore evidence that contradicts their claims. I accept this even though it makes posts like yours boring. C'mon, I have several more hours of work left and it'd be nice to actually have a rebuttal or two to pass the time. I accept your ignorance, but being dull is just plain inexcusable.

No top soil? Flood waters bring in soil, that is how we got all of our soil layers that turned into rock, from the flood. Seeds just landed where they may and sarted growing. I can throw seeds on top of the ground an they would start growing, some of them. We don't know all of which plants survived. We know from animals that there is a variety of species within the original kinds created so the same is true with plants. The plants of today don't have to necessarily be the plants of the flood times.

johnhanks

We don't know the salinity of the water during the flood. Seeds could have survived the flood and replanted themselves. Only the air breathing earth living animals and humans were destroyed by the flood, not plants or water animals.
What happened to the plesiosaurs? Ichthyosaurs? Ambulocetus? Pakicetus? Air breathing, I grant you, but wholly aquatic; if modern whales survived the flood (which by your reasoning they must have done), why not the plesiosaurs?
If we look at the population expansion of humans we can see how populations reproduce exponentially. I don’t have a problem with it.
You may not, but mathematics does. By the most basic of population growth models, to get from 8 people in 2400 BC to the estimated world population at AD1 humans would have to have had a reproductive capacity roughly akin to that of aphids. If you're going to tell us that Noah's daughters-in-law did in fact fit that bill, then I have to tell you they were not human - not as we would recognise the condition today, anyway.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
No top soil? Flood waters bring in soil, that is how we got all of our soil layers that turned into rock, from the flood.
Pay attention please, I said "fertile topsoil". The topsoil would be saturated with salts- even low estimates of salinity- lets pretend God did a miracle and dilluted the waters or the extra water source was not salty- would result in tens of thousands of plant species dying or failing to seed. Again, if your argument that "We don't know the salinity of the water during the flood" means God intervened and decreased the salinity of the oceans then I agree that falling back on miracles is an explanation- an unscientific unfalsifiable one but an explanation nonetheless. Seawater contains 35 g. of salt per litre and the vast majority of plant life can't survive in 1/10ths of this concentration of salts.

Seeds just landed where they may and sarted growing. I can throw seeds on top of the ground an they would start growing, some of them.
Very few would actually. And certainly not enough to reflect over 14,000 species of Bryophyta, well over 250,000 species of flowering plants, not to mention 12,000+ species of ferns... I could go on and on. Seeds could not have "just landed where they may" in the devastated landscape and quickly "macro-evolve" into the varieties of plants we see today.
We don't know all of which plants survived. We know from animals that there is a variety of species within the original kinds created so the same is true with plants. The plants of today don't have to necessarily be the plants of the flood times.
I already explained this in my previous post. The blink-of-an-eye between the time the flood ended to now would require such a huge diffusion of plants and such a massive and fast rate of evolution most plant species would be hopefully monstrous. Get it? Ha! That's witty- please feel free to use it.
:rolleyes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thoughts?
Once you take as a given an omnipotent God running around, talking to people, giving commands, creating water from nothing, making it all disappear again later and whatnot, it's kinda hard to then turn around and say that "God did it" doesn't excuse how the animals survived afterward as well.

Actually, GOD seems to have punished the serpent with having to eat dust, right after telling Adam & Eve that they would return to dust... The idea to me being that before the FALL, none of the animals ate other animals. After the FALL, some animals ate dead animals....
Wait a minute... so a creature like a lion, whose jaw and teeth are excellent for biting and tearing meat but near-useless for chewing plants, didn't eat meat until after the Fall?

Did the Fall also create all the enzymes and "gut flora" that carnivores have and herbivores don't?

The actual text of Genesis can be interpreted two ways regarding the water level. One, the waters rose 15 cubits above the highest mountains. Or two, the waters rose 15 cubits above the land which in turn was above the highest mountains in that region for that time. The latter has been used to hypothesize that major geological changes occurred, namely the formation of the mountain ranges, and it also solves the problem of vegetation being below the aphotic zone.
... while creating the problem of what could have caused those geologic changes.

johnhanks

Wait a minute... so a creature like a lion, whose jaw and teeth are excellent for biting and tearing meat but near-useless for chewing plants, didn't eat meat until after the Fall?
I've often asked creationists to describe to me the actions of a lion eating grass; I usually get fobbed off with "ah well, their teeth would have been different before the Fall". When I ask, in that case, how exactly were they lions before the Fall, I never seem to get a coherent answer.

johnhanks

We know from animals that there is a variety of species within the original kinds created...
Any thoughts on beetle kind yet? Four hundred thousand species and counting. So, how many beetle kinds did Noah have on the ark? Just the one pair? They'd have their work cut out, engendering 400,000 descendant species in a few hundred years. One pair of Polyphaga, one of Adephaga, perhaps? Or was there a staphylinid kind, a weevil kind, a coccinelid kind? The 'creation scientists' we keep hearing about must surely have worked this out by now: where can we look up their findings?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Lets say, for arguments sake, that the flood did happen and Noah took 2 of each unclean animal and 14 of each clean animal aboard the ark for a year and somehow they all managed to miraculously survive until the water level dropped.

How then would these animals survive after the flood? Surely those that graze would have little to no vegetation left after the flood to graze upon and die? Even if they didn't die then there would still not be enough prey available for the carnivorous animals to survive. 14 lions would make short work of 14 gazelles (which usually rely on their large numbers to keep safe by lowering the probability of being caught)

An event like this would pretty much destroy the food chain.

Thoughts?

Once you begin to view these fictitious stories/events as real you begin to loose your grip on reality and any sense of logic.

The more you ponder over this story the more questions you'll have. None of the answers given will make much sense. Asking a creationist to supply the answers is an exercise in futility. It leads one down the path of circular logic and faulty reasoning. Surly you can find something more contructive to do with your time than "beating a dead horse"....:sad:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
To get from "kinds" to the modern range of species requires hyper-evolution. New rodent species would have to appear every other year, ignoring all the fossil species.

No scientist has ever suggested such amazingly fast "micro"evolution.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I've often asked creationists to describe to me the actions of a lion eating grass; I usually get fobbed off with "ah well, their teeth would have been different before the Fall". When I ask, in that case, how exactly were they lions before the Fall, I never seem to get a coherent answer.
tawnyscrawny.jpg