• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Gospel Principle based curriculum

amkerr

Hello,

I'm in the process of organizing a scripture study group, and was looking online for some ideas on a curriculum. I'd rather not use the Member Study Guides, and was hoping someone may have developed a curriculum and posted it online.

It would be a weekly meeting, in a 'discussion circle' format. I'm hoping to start with the OT and move on to NT, BoM etc..

Any help, links, etc would be greatly appreciated :bow:

idea

Question Everything
we've done just generic "read the NT before Christmas" sorts of things, in which case, you just look at a calendar, and figure out how many pages you need to read before a certain date.

Parallel of the gospels is good for the NT - Let's you look at a single event, and see everything everyone had to write on it.

For the OT I think I would do a subject study - pick a subject, then look at all the scripts on it kind of thing.

and fire - sense when did the LDS church ever frown upon anyone reading the scriptures? :(

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
I don't know, idea. I was just under the impression that outside study groups weren't allowed :shrug:

idea

Question Everything
I don't know, idea. I was just under the impression that outside study groups weren't allowed :shrug:

define "outside" ???? missionaries are not allowed to discuss scriptures with non-members? we can't discuss scriptures when we go VTing and HTing? or with friends? .... read scriptures as a family? I don't know what anyone means by "outside" ??? for my personal scripture study, if I pick up the scriptures and start reading without a Manuel in tote, this is wrong????

I've been involved in many various groups - family scripture study groups - LDs member scripture study groups - mixed religious groups - which do not meet on Sunday, but which studied scriptures together, and enjoyed the experiences immensely.

I guess I can see if there is some sort of wild-speculation going on, or if some strong personality like Cleon Skousen is there claiming something is doctrine, that could be bad... but if you keep it light-and-happy, "this is my take on it, not official doctrine" sort of mindset, I see no problem with it...

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

define "outside" ???? missionaries are not allowed to discuss scriptures with non-members? we can't discuss scriptures when we go VTing and HTing? or with friends? .... read scriptures as a family? I don't know what anyone means by "outside" ??? for my personal scripture study, if I pick up the scriptures and start reading without a Manuel in tote, this is wrong????

I've been involved in many various groups - family scripture study groups - LDs member scripture study groups - mixed religious groups - which do not meet on Sunday, but which studied scriptures together, and enjoyed the experiences immensely.

I guess I can see if there is some sort of wild-speculation going on, or if some strong personality like Cleon Skousen is there claiming something is doctrine, that could be bad... but if you keep it light-and-happy, "this is my take on it, not official doctrine" sort of mindset, I see no problem with it...
Actually, I think Fire's right on this. The Church did issue a statement to that effect, but I don't know the specifics of it. Obviously, we're supposed to have scripture study in our families, but he's not totally wrong in what he's thinking. I think they were concerned about the "wild speculation" stuff. ;)

idea

Question Everything
yea, sometimes it could get tricky with various groups meeting - and the church not wanting to be officially associated with what some ad-hoc groups are doing.... take our book club group for instance :D it's just a little tricky for some things to be endorsed by the church ;).

Arkholt

Non-vessel
Actually, I think Fire's right on this. The Church did issue a statement to that effect, but I don't know the specifics of it. Obviously, we're supposed to have scripture study in our families, but he's not totally wrong in what he's thinking. I think they were concerned about the "wild speculation" stuff. ;)

I dunno... I'm highly skeptical of that. I'd want to see the statement itself first. That makes no sense to me. "Only study by yourself or with your family outside of church"? There must be more to it than that, or less.

That's weird. So if I walked up to a mormon and started asking question they aren't allowed to answer? But if they come to my door it's OK? Not to be rude but that sounds sketchy. I think they don't want their members to get it wrong or slip up and tell people something they aren't suppose to about the church and what they believe. Just a thought.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That's weird. So if I walked up to a mormon and started asking question they aren't allowed to answer? But if they come to my door it's OK? Not to be rude but that sounds sketchy.
Not to be sketchy, but that sounds rude.
I think they don't want their members to get it wrong...
Yeah, that's always a possibility. Makes sense, don't you think, for them to not want their members to get it wrong?

...or slip up and tell people something they aren't suppose to about the church and what they believe. Just a thought.
Such as what? I'm guessing you know a whole lot about what we're "not supposed to tell people," and I bet you know what we believe even better than we do. :rolleyes:

(You might want to read the rules pertaining "DIR forums" since you're breaking them. :sarcastic See, you're allowed to come here and ask questions. You're just not allowed to add you own negative opinions to your posts. Stick around; you'll get the hang of it. You might even find us to be pretty nice people.)

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I dunno... I'm highly skeptical of that. I'd want to see the statement itself first. That makes no sense to me. "Only study by yourself or with your family outside of church"? There must be more to it than that, or less.
I know what you're saying, but I actually do remember hearing a statement to that effect. I just don't know where to find it now. I'm guessing this is a question any bishop could give us an answer to.

So as long as my opinion is positive I can share it? That's kinda backwards. I am not just adding my own opinions. mmoutreachinc.com/mormons/mormon_index.html this link shows you a couple of things I can list more. I have looked into mormonism and I do not agree with it, but all I was doing was answering a question with what I believed could be part of the reason. Did I say its fact no. I stated my belief and opinion which is what everyone on here is doing.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So as long as my opinion is positive I can share it? That's kinda backwards.
Maybe so. I don't make the rules.

I am not just adding my own opinions.
So "it sounds kind of sketchy" isn't your opinion?

I have looked into mormonism and I do not agree with it, but all I was doing was answering a question with what I believed could be part of the reason. Did I say its fact no. I stated my belief and opinion which is what everyone on here is doing.
Actually, "everyone on here" (i.e. this thread) is LDS. You just need to read the forum rules, that's all. There are sub-forums where you are free to express your opinion; this just isn't one of them. Incidentally, here's the rule that applies:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

So if you have a question about Mormonism but don't want to debate the answers you get, this is the place to post it. If you want to debate, you need to post on one of the debate sub-forums. It's a huge site, and can be overwhelming at first. I'm just trying to save you from getting in trouble with the staff. By the way, I checked out the link you posted. It's to an anti-Mormon website (one of hundreds you might have stumbled upon). If you want to debate any of the things that website had to say, I'd suggest you go to one of the debate sub-forums (as opposed to the DIR sub-forums). If you just have questions and are willing to accept the answers you get on the LDS DIR -- answers only Mormons are supposed to be contributing -- this would be where you'd ask.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
That's weird. So if I walked up to a mormon and started asking question they aren't allowed to answer? But if they come to my door it's OK? Not to be rude but that sounds sketchy. I think they don't want their members to get it wrong or slip up and tell people something they aren't suppose to about the church and what they believe. Just a thought.

We are supposed to answer (every member is supposed to be a missionary) but we are supposed to answer using 1st the materials from church publications. When saying "Mormons believe ____________________ " fill in the blank, this is a statement coming from the church, not the individual. It is fine to add in "My personal thoughts - Not official church doctrine - but what I have sort of pondered is __________________" - just so everyone is very clear on what is personal opinion/speculation vs. what the church stands for.

You would not want someone going around saying "PeaceLoveJoy believes _________________" - and then they get it wrong and misrepresents your beliefs right? same thing - when we say "The Church of Jesus Christ (AKA Mormons) believes that ___________________" it's good to get it right - ie - out of things like gospel principle curriculum :)

My husband is an ex mormon, and I have read books for and against mormon beliefs. I posted a reply on here because I did not realize the DIR section was not a debate thread, but because it isn't I will not be posting on this thread anymore so please do not make post to me. If you would like to message me and talk about it that's different. But I will follow the rules of the forum. Thank you! But I do understand your point I wouldn't want someone saying anything like that about me Idea.