• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nullify the vegetarian moral crusade?

What are you?

• Total voters

kadzbiz

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I didn't read the whole thread, but it wasn't until man began eating red meat that his brain growth exploded. I like meat in various forms, but love my vegies too. The thing I hate most is wasted food.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I didn't read the whole thread, but it wasn't until man began eating red meat that his brain growth exploded. I like meat in various forms, but love my vegies too. The thing I hate most is wasted food.
While eating meat may have helped us back when we were still in trees, it's certainly not required today to develop and be healthy. :)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Maybe so, but then I'd have to resort to tofu and soy - yuck!

No...the average adult only needs about 4 oz. of protein per day. Some legumes actually have more protein than meat and vegetables also have protein. However, as adults we should not eat too much protein because it can lead to kidney problems and arthritis. Actually vegetarians have a misconception that they are not getting enough protein then they go and eat lots of legumes and end up with kidney problems and arthritis.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Maybe so, but then I'd have to resort to tofu and soy - yuck!
I only eat tofu once in a blue moon (I seriously think I haven't had any since February), and only eat soy when it's already in something prepackaged. You don't have to eat soy or tofu to be vegetarian.

storm2020

Just make sure you know the mercury content of what you're eating...

Well i dont see the japenese dying of mercury content before they're 90 so maybe il just eat their fish. Besides you've gotta die sometime of something.

I love meat because it tastes nice and it is good for you in moderation like everything else. It might not be a necessity to survive nowerdays but neither is my car, ipod, dvds, chocolate etc and i'm not giving up any of those either!

A lot of people are saying that if you eat meat youre gonna be fat or die of heart disease but it's just not true, nor is it true that vegetarians are unhealthy. All that matters is that your diet is balanced and that you get plenty of exercise.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
They are, yeah. I just don't eat those often. Every once in a while I might have a soyburger, but beyond that? I just eat veggies, fruit, and dairy.

Besides, eating a lot of meat replacements really isn't too healthy either, since most of them are processed to death.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Ok I was wrong on the what I said earlier, but in truth I don't think I can cut meat out 100%. But I have been cut way back on how much I eat, I'm trying to be healthier and lose weight. I love fish and other Seafood, but it cost money, I can't eat chicken because I'm allergic to it and get sick. When I was in Job Corp I only ate meat once a day, and rice and veges the rest of the day and and felt great, I should go back to that.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ok I was wrong on the what I said earlier, but in truth I don't think I can cut meat out 100%. But I have been cut way back on how much I eat, I'm trying to be healthier and lose weight. I love fish and other Seafood, but it cost money, I can't eat chicken because I'm allergic to it and get sick. When I was in Job Corp I only ate meat once a day, and rice and veges the rest of the day and and felt great, I should go back to that.

Oh my...my business partner is allergic to chicken also. She eats turkey, but rarely, and that's more to keep a varied diet than anything.

Meat once a day is plenty, and really it doesn't take a lot anyway. Too much meat really stresses out the digestion. Do you eat cheeses at all? Some of the not-so-cured varieties are good stand ins. Mushrooms are a great addition. And the ever popular legumes of course.

Cutting too far back on food can actually mess up your metabolism and in the end you will gain wait. Be careful with that. Missing meals is really a big mistake too.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Oh my...my business partner is allergic to chicken also. She eats turkey, but rarely, and that's more to keep a varied diet than anything.

Meat once a day is plenty, and really it doesn't take a lot anyway. Too much meat really stresses out the digestion. Do you eat cheeses at all? Some of the not-so-cured varieties are good stand ins. Mushrooms are a great addition. And the ever popular legumes of course.

Cutting too far back on food can actually mess up your metabolism and in the end you will gain wait. Be careful with that. Missing meals is really a big mistake too.

I think the only time I eat Turkey is on the Holidays, or some time on a Sandwich. I love Cheese, but have cut back on how much I eat, I love mushroom also. I just still have trouble with meals, I've had help, but it's hard some times, the family shopping list isn't all was so good. No junk food any more in the though which is a start.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Well i dont see the japenese dying of mercury content before they're 90 so maybe il just eat their fish. Besides you've gotta die sometime of something.

I love meat because it tastes nice and it is good for you in moderation like everything else. It might not be a necessity to survive nowerdays but neither is my car, ipod, dvds, chocolate etc and i'm not giving up any of those either!

A lot of people are saying that if you eat meat youre gonna be fat or die of heart disease but it's just not true, nor is it true that vegetarians are unhealthy. All that matters is that your diet is balanced and that you get plenty of exercise.
Mmm...Minamata, anyone?
Actually, three servings a day of fish high in the food chain - which are the ones with the highest content of Omega 3 - can leave a woman with a mercury level high enough to cause miscarriage, even though she has no symptoms of mercury poisoning whatsoever. Assuming it isn't high enough to make her miscarry, it can cause a range of disabilities in the developing fetus.
Three meals of fish a day may not kill you before you're 90, but it isn't without impact.

Smoke

Done here.
Even things like shrimp that don't have a crazy mercury content are farmed in terribly destructive ways.
I have to admit, I wasn't even aware that shrimp were farmed at all before the advent of the "Wild Shrimp" ad campaign. :eek:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
No, but aren't they the substitutes for meat products?
Maybe to Westerners. I grew up on tofu and soy and we do not think of it as a "substitute for meat." That's like saying that chicken is a substitute for beef. It's food that happens to be high in protein. Imo, a very yummy food. :drool:

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Maybe to Westerners. I grew up on tofu and soy and we do not think of it as a "substitute for meat." That's like saying that chicken is a substitute for beef. It's food that happens to be high in protein. Imo, a very yummy food. :drool:
Better you than me, lilithu. :cover: The smell of uncooked tofu makes me wanna puke, and I won't touch the stuff unless a good chef has done their magic on it.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Better you than me, lilithu. :cover: The smell of uncooked tofu makes me wanna puke, and I won't touch the stuff unless a good chef has done their magic on it.

Uncooked tofu doesn't really have too much of a smell...at least the ones I've smelled. :D Once though, my mom had some spoiled uncooked tofu in the fridge....that smelled awful.

To me, tofu doesn't have much of a taste, it sort of absorbs the flavours of the others things it's cooked with. I agree that one must eat tofu from a good chef, else it tastes bland. :p

I sometimes eat soya chunks but lots of people don't prepare it properly and it tastes weird. There are a couple people I know who can prepare it really good. I took some techniques from one of them and I made it once - a sort of curry-stew, it actually tasted good....yaaaaay, something I made tasted good. :D

jacquie4000

I am not a vegetarian, however we try not to indulge in to much meat. Moderation in all things.
Except fruit, my son eats so much fruit I can't keep up. We mostly eat chicken and fish.

storm2020

Mmm...Minamata, anyone?
Actually, three servings a day of fish high in the food chain - which are the ones with the highest content of Omega 3 - can leave a woman with a mercury level high enough to cause miscarriage, even though she has no symptoms of mercury poisoning whatsoever. Assuming it isn't high enough to make her miscarry, it can cause a range of disabilities in the developing fetus.
Three meals of fish a day may not kill you before you're 90, but it isn't without impact.

All that means is to cut back when youre pregnant. It doesn't mean that you shouldnt eat fish or meat or vegetarians are healthier.

And what about all the poisons in the soil, they spay on crops, add to food, is in your water! Nothing is without impact nowerdays. If we thought like that all the time we'd never eat anything.

I know plenty of vegetarians who eat lots of crisps and chocolate. Just because you don't eat meat, doesn't make you healthy!