• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's Speech: Was it Enough?

kai

ragamuffin
Well things must be different now than the last time I was in your country some time ago. My experience was different then.

This speech pattern does not have anything to do with skin color though, can we agree with that?

Holding on to this obvious trait is evidence to me that blacks don't want a color blind society or country. If we were to ever get past this problem of race, they would lose the race card as well right?

things are a lot different we have a tendancy too import all things american unfortunately one of which is the gang culture, and white teenagers talk like it too, i often joke with my nephews and ask them when they flew in from LA

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
things are a lot different we have a tendancy too import all things american unfortunately one of which is the gang culture, and white teenagers talk like it too, i often joke with my nephews and ask them when they flew in from LA

ROFLMAO I tell them to pull their pants up. They look real authentic when they go to the mall and get out of Mom's car.

PureX

Veteran Member
In my earlier post:
"My point: He implied that he wasn't aware of his reverend's comments. Yes, he said he wasn't there when those exact statements were made. But he made it sound like he didn't know. This is deceptive. He knew Wright's history and opinions. Yet he continued to support them through his attendance and the attendance of his family."
There are several problems with this statement. One is that you have no idea what Rev. Wright actually said in a single one of his sunday church sermons. Obama could be telling the truth when he says that Rev. Wright did not say those kinds of things when he was in church. Secondly, even if Rev. Wright did on rare occasions speak in a similar incemniary fashion in his church, Obama's presence in that church does not constitute "support" of what the Rev. Wright said. Especially if it is said rarely, and with less venom, which in fact appears to be the case. For all you know, on the rare occasions when Rev. Wright did say something incemniary while in church preaching, Obama may have used those instances to teach his children about anger and resentment and about the danger of holding on to these kinds of feelings.

Yet having none of this information, you have been automatically jumping to the most damning conclusions about Barrack Obama. Why is that, do you think?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
There are several problems with this statement. One is that you have no idea what Rev. Wright actually said in a single one of his sunday church sermons. Obama could be telling the truth when he says that Rev. Wright did not say those kinds of things when he was in church. Secondly, even if Rev. Wright did on rare occasions speak in a similar incemniary fashion in his church, Obama's presence in that church does not constitute "support" of what the Rev. Wright said. Especially if it is said rarely, and with less venom, which in fact appears to be the case. For all you know, on the rare occasions when Rev. Wright did say something incemniary while in church preaching, Obama may have used those instances to teach his children about anger and resentment and about the danger of holding on to these kinds of feelings.

Yet having none of this information, you have been automatically jumping to the most damning conclusions about Barrack Obama. Why is that, do you think?

Because it is the political season? You take pot shots at Fox News. What is the difference? I see people take shots at McCain all the time. Why is that?

Please don't tell me it is because Obama is perfect and every Republican is crap.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm

You make some very valid points. Here are my reasons. Obama vehemently condemns his pastor's statements NOW. If they are so bad, why did he take his daughters to hear such things for their entire lives? If instead, he was down-playing the reverend's words NOW, justifying them in some way--if that was possible--then there'd be some consistency in Obama's actions. But to attend this church and listen this stuff for 20 years, and suddenly NOW it's condemnable--doesn't the sincerity in his condemnation seem a little suspect?
Plus if Reverend Wright is his 20 year-long friend, uncle-figure, mentor, and pastor, why is Obama willing to publically humiliate him? As well as embarrass his grandmother. Why is he willing to save himself at the expense of loved ones?
Obama hasn't experienced any real scrutiny in his campaign till this. (I could be wrong here because I haven't been very tuned in to the Democrat side.) And I liked him. His speaking ability is top-notch. It's now that I'm listening to what he's saying, that I'm not impressed.

But this whole thing is becoming old news and will probably soon be forgotten.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
But this whole thing is becoming old news and will soon probably be forgotten.

I have forgave Barrack Obama. I even think I understand him now. The Republican hatchet job may stop, but Hillary is about to start up her chain saw. :yes::sorry1:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have forgave Barrack Obama. I even think I understand him now. The Republican hatchet job may stop, but Hillary is about to start up her chain saw. :yes::sorry1:

Indeed. (And I will be right beside her with a gas can, too.)

Frankly, maybe I am more skeptical and jaded than the rest of you, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the speech. If a politician's lips are moving, no matter how eloquent their prattle is, they are still lying.

PureX

Veteran Member
You make some very valid points. Here are my reasons. Obama vehemently condemns his pastor's statements NOW. If they are so bad, why did he take his daughters to hear such things for their entire lives?
I see no reason to think that he did. And you have no reason to assume that he did. He has said that his pastor did not speak this way in church. Though he has said that his pastor did on occasion speak in a rash manner.
If instead, he was down-playing the reverend's words NOW, justifying them in some way--if that was possible--then there'd be some consistency in Obama's actions. But to attend this church and listen this stuff for 20 years, and suddenly NOW it's condemnable--doesn't the sincerity in his condemnation seem a little suspect?
Why do you keep INSISTING that the pastor was making this same speech week after week in church when Obama has already explained that this was not the case?
Plus if Reverend Wright is his 20 year-long friend, uncle-figure, mentor, and pastor, why is Obama willing to publically humiliate him? As well as embarrass his grandmother. Why is he willing to save himself at the expense of loved ones?
I question this as well. But if I take what Obama has said at face value, then I gather that he was somewhat surprised and shocked at the vehimence and vitriol of his pastor's words, and so he is responding with what he believes to be appropriate intensity.
Obama hasn't experienced any real scrutiny in his campaign till this. (I could be wrong here because I haven't been very tuned in to the Democrat side.) And I liked him. His speaking ability is top-notch. It's now that I'm listening to what he's saying, that I'm not impressed.
You keep ignoring Obama's own explanations and imagining your own negative scenario. Why are you doing that?
But this whole thing is becoming old news and will probably soon be forgotten.
It has already been given far more attention that it ever deserved. And I'd take Obama's pastor over that nasty s.o.b. that Bush called his minister and mentor, any day!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
You keep ignoring Obama's own explanations and imagining your own negative scenario. Why are you doing that?
Probably for the same reason you make your next statement.
It has already been given far more attention that it ever deserved. And I'd take Obama's pastor over that nasty s.o.b. that Bush called his minister and mentor, any day!
Do you see your own hypocrisy?

gnomon

Obama has been a public servant for more than a decade. If people cannot make their judgment based upon that and his campaign rather than relying on the non-newsworthiness of a crank pastor than they would be better of not voting.

Bush was never given this much crap for hanging out with some real rubes. Nor has McCain or Clinton.