• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Buddhist's response to Islam

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
In a letter written by Asoka Weerasinghe, he reminds us that sensitivity needs to be displayed as well as demanded:

The Editor
Asian Tribune
Sir:

While I do not condone the insensitive cartoons of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad in a Danish paper and reproduced elsewhere in a paper in France and Canada, I wish the Muslims who are furious over these cartoons and rampaging blazing the Danish Embassies had the same sensitivity when the Talibanis blasted to smithereens the Bamiyan Buddhas, that stood for twenty-three centuries in the Bamiyan valley, which hurt me to my core as a Buddhist.

Let me remind the Muslims who seem to be so angry about these cartoons that my knife cut both ways, and just not one way. And if I am expected to cultivate religious tolerance and be respectful of others religions, then I expect others to do the same towards my beliefs as a Buddhist.

I took my frustration and anger by writing a therapeutic The Taliban Trilogy and not going around burning places, and country flags which most nationals feel is their sacred country symbol.

Poems and balance of article at:
http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=8,2318,0,0,1,0

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Instead of a violent reaction, a Buddhist writes a poem. :hug: Go figger.​
:clap​

Flappycat

Perhaps someone should point out to them the number of Muslims who laughed and cheered the destruction of one of America's most beloved cultural centers. How would things have been different if the Muslim world had shown more sensitivity on this day? Wasn't the cartoon intended to express anger over just such acts? yet, even as this cartoon returns offense for offense, the outraged Muslims are acting in kind. In the end, returning offense for offense will make the world so offensive as to be unbearable to live in.

Maybe something positive can come of this cartoon, though, for I don't believe in insisting that negative beginnings should be encouraged to result in negative ends. If the Muslims don't want to be slandered, they should more carefully police the behavior of their brothers and sisters in Islam. We cannot forcefully patrol the speech and thoughts of people in a culture that supports intellectual freedom, for we believe in the right and responsibility of decent people to raise their voices over those who speak only slander. If these voices cannot be convinced to raise themselves, however, slander will be all that is heard. If you are a Muslim, try to recall that maniacs who call themselves Muslims were the ones who first whispered this slander in the ears of those people who shouted it without knowing it to be false.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All people must respect each other because no one is perfect and we all have to leran from our mistakes to live in peace but, if we didn't stop making this double standard stuff we will never have a tolerance at all. We must stop asking others to be good if we weren't good at them. Finally, i guess, if we remain see the others as one person and that a few hundereds or thousands represents billions so the story will repeat itself all over and over as we see each other with an eye of doubt and suspect.

Peace ... :)

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
The Truth said:
All people must respect each other because no one is perfect

Wrong. That is not why people should respect each other. We respect each other when we deserve it. We respect a person's liberty and security, because you respect your own. It has nothing to do with perfection, or sin, or anything else.

The Truth said:
Finally, i guess, if we remain see the others as one person and that a few hundereds or thousands represents billions so the story will repeat itself all over and over as we see each other with an eye or doubt and suspect.

:banghead3

St0ne

If I didn't have to do something to deserve your respect maybe peace would come much easier.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
:clap I am merely echoing the sentiments here. The poem expressed revulsion at the act of destruction of a religious iconic image, yet remained eloquent and respectful at the same time. Kudos!

Peace,
Mystic

Judgement Day

Darkdale said:
Wrong. That is not why people should respect each other. We respect each other when we deserve it. We respect a person's liberty and security, because you respect your own. It has nothing to do with perfection, or sin, or anything else.
So how do you treat someone who doesnt have your respect yet?

Judgement Day

YmirGF said:
Instead of a violent reaction, a Buddhist writes a poem. :hug: Go figger.​
:clap​
[font=Arial, Helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica]Cartoons of Chaos[/font][/font][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica] [font=Arial, Helvetica]poem by[/font] Abdi-Noor Haji Mohamed [/font][/font]

As a Moslem i have to say something about these cartoons. Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him has been depicted in some papers as a terrorist ready to blow up himself to take the lives of innocent people. I think that was caused by the west’s lack of understanding about Islam and its foundations as a religion of peace.

Mr. Editor, your cartoons created chaos

Were you testing your power to incite people?
Or were you intending to provoke the Moslems?

Were you trying to redraw the world religious map?
Or were you joining dots to invent a green line?

Were you simply exercising freedom of speech?
Or were you making money out of violence?

Don’t you admire and appreciate religious diversity?
Or are you blind of the beauty of cultural rainbow?

Islam is a religion of peace
I am a Moslem, Mr. Editor
I have great respect to all religions
I can't do to Jesus what you have done to my Prophet

Nor can I do that to Moses and the Torah
Harming them in anyway would affect my faith
I call all Moslems to observe stability
Torching buildings is purely unislamic

What has the building done wrong to you?
Can’t you behave decently to express anger?
Well above the waters of religious differences
A bridge of spiritual tolerance must be built

-----------------

How 'bout that!:rolleyes:

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Islam is a religion of peace, WE WILL SHOW YOU BY OUR VIOLENCE!

We don't need no Denmark, let their Embassies Burn, Burn evil Westerners, Burn! :biglaugh: C'mon man.

Judgement Day

Darkdale said:
Islam is a religion of peace, WE WILL SHOW YOU BY OUR VIOLENCE!

We don't need no Denmark, let their Embassies Burn, Burn evil Westerners, Burn! :biglaugh: C'mon man.
SSSHHhhhhhhh...