• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One true religion?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Do you believe your denomination or religion is the only true religion? Why or why not? If so, can you prove it?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Religion: a particular institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your question, Deut. Are you suggesting that multiple, yet differing religions can all be defined as "true religions"? (if you are, I would agree and disagree with you, but I think that's a different thread, or perhaps not, I'll wait for your answer)

(Q)

Religion can be loosely defined as a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.

unphaithless

A french philosopher and spiritual master Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov stated " ...Religion in the broad sense is the authentic mystical sensation which convinces those who experience it, that the inner life is the only true life".
Therefore with this quote in mind everyone who has had a spiritual experience has true religion, true for themselves.
this is just my opinion, ;)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Maize said:
Religion: a particular institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine.
I do not understand what is meant by "relating to the divine". To the extent that it suggests the supernatural and a teleological world view, I reject the definition.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Deut. 32.8 said:
I do not understand what is meant by "relating to the divine". To the extent that it suggests the supernatural and a teleological world view, I reject the definition.

Okie dokie. How do YOU define religion?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
unphaithless said:
A french philosopher and spiritual master Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov stated " ...Religion in the broad sense is the authentic mystical sensation which convinces those who experience it, that the inner life is the only true life".
Therefore with this quote in mind everyone who has had a spiritual experience has true religion, true for themselves.
this is just my opinion, ;)
I could go for that, but many do not believe that way. For them, their religion is the right one and all others are wrong. I'm hoping one of them will explain why and prove their reasoning for believing this way.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Maize said:
Okie dokie. How do YOU define religion?
Yi-Fu Tuan, in an article titled "Humanistic Geography" appearing in the Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 66, No. 2: 266-276, defines religion as the impulse for cohesion and meaning. (Perhaps a topic for another thread!)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Deut. 32.8 said:
Yi-Fu Tuan, in an article titled "Humanistic Geography" appearing in the Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 66, No. 2: 266-276, defines religion as the impulse for cohesion and meaning. (Perhaps a topic for another thread!)
Ok... makes sense. But you're right, another thread, ;) Perhaps titled, "Define 'religion' "?

kevin

Do I believe that my denomination is the only true religion? NO, I doubt that any of the denomianations have everything exactly right. Hopefully most are close enough. I don't think any mortal can decide the issue.

I don't know enough about Hindu, Buddism, Islam or Judism to even comment on them..