• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only Real Guns Are Allowed

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
pah said:
You really should have gone to the case itself rather than a classroom synopsis. It documents in several place the intolerance and discrimination Bob Jones Univerity codified in policy

My hat's off to Fat Old Sun for doing the job you should have done.

But I'll expand, a little on Fat Old Sun's work

Selected quotes from the Case.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=461&invol=574

An offical government document specifing the intolerance of Bob Jones University.
Well, I have doen as much as I can, considering that I am at work right now (4 hours behind you) and can't really spend a lot of time doing the research you suggest. Wish I could, but I can't, so please don't accuse me of being ignorant or making a decision based on zero evidence. I just don't have the time. Once I have done the research you suggest, I will reply. By the way, did I ever say that they didn't have problems? I have looked through this post and several times and can't see that I have said that they are all right. I just didn't think it quite fair to accuse the university of racism 22 years later.

Melody

EEWRED said:
I have looked through this post and several times and can't see that I have said that they are all right. I just didn't think it quite fair to accuse the university of racism 22 years later.
So does anyone know how many interracial couples attend BJU now?

michel said:
They do seem a bit demanding, but - on the above two point, good for them !!
smile.gif
- the whole of society might benefit from following those dictates.
I agree with you, michel, and I say that as an avid video/computer game player.

Sunstone said:
God forbid the races have sex with each other! It's bad enough that they often have to use the same make of handguns, don't you think?
LOL!!

Hey anyone watch tonight's episode of the OC? Some dudes from Bob Jones University were on..... :D

Pah

Uber all member
EEWRED said:
Well, I have doen as much as I can, considering that I am at work right now (4 hours behind you) and can't really spend a lot of time doing the research you suggest. Wish I could, but I can't, so please don't accuse me of being ignorant or making a decision based on zero evidence. I just don't have the time. Once I have done the research you suggest, I will reply. By the way, did I ever say that they didn't have problems? I have looked through this post and several times and can't see that I have said that they are all right. I just didn't think it quite fair to accuse the university of racism 22 years later.
Oh yeah, and Governor Wallace was just supporting his constituency. I'm happy that you can condone a policy that thas been in existence since the early 1870's because it is on 22 years old. It that too harsh? Perhaps you like to say the poicy was only in existence since Brown v Education from the 1960's (or was it the 50's?). You've seen in this thread strong evidence that Bob Jones University continues it's religious dominience of individuals and does so on the back of government largess. A Government tax break for flying in the face, on several levels, of American ideals and freedoms - please!! There are just too many Christians that would have the gates in the wall of speparation expanded. Money flows through from one side and demands enter from the other side.

You want to agrue for freedom of association - I'd support that. But not with government subsidy when it contradicts the freedoms I fought for along with many other Americans over the years. It is a degree of government betrayal and instituted from a faith that is not mine.

I defend it but do I have to pay for it? Isn't the price I've already paid enough?

That is the underlying issue with Bob Jones University.