• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only those who understand cows need apply ..

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are so many breeds, varieties and subspecies of cattle, it boggles the mind. I forget who it is that is trying to (or has done it already) bring the auroch back from extinction by breeding backwards.

Not to steal your thunder, but here's the little guy at the temple's goshala. I hope it displays, it's cute. :) This was a couple of years ago,he's probably big by now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pe2xysb6cenit64/Gosala 2016 HD.mp4?dl=0

Chakra

Premium Member
There are so many breeds, varieties and subspecies of cattle, it boggles the mind. I forget who it is that is trying to (or has done it already) bring the auroch back from extinction by breeding backwards.

Not to steal your thunder, but here's the little guy at the temple's goshala. I hope it displays, it's cute. :) This was a couple of years ago,he's probably big by now.

I just love videos of animals.

This is from your local temple? Do they have some self-sufficient farm or something?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Not a problem ... here's some more.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/blog/taka/2016/05/02/teta-the-happy-calf/

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I just love videos of animals.

This is from your local temple? Do they have some self-sufficient farm or something?

Yes, this is "my" temple (possessive little twit aren't I?). You'll notice the shameless plug for the temple at the beginning of the video. :D

They have an on-premises goshala with two adult cows, and two calves. One calf is female and the other is male. They say that all the milk they use for abhishekams will come only from their cows.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a kid, my mother would get us to check out the 'sucking strength' with our wee hands. You'd think they were going to pull your forearm away from your elbow. They are incredibly strong with the reflex. It was hard to get your hand out of there, when you're 5 years old.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Beautiful. They are such gentle and social animals. I really like the below video where the guy calls the cows with his flute and feeds them jackfruit:

I sorta Imagine, this is how Lord Krsna would've called the cows each morning to begin grazing.

I looked at a breed chart. That is sahiwal?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Beautiful. They are such gentle and social animals. I really like the below video where the guy calls the cows with his flute and feeds them jackfruit:

I sorta Imagine, this is how Lord Krsna would've called the cows each morning to begin grazing.

They look like lop-eared bunnies...

...with hooves.

RAB_01_GR0252_01_P.JPG

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Beautiful, Vinayaka and others. Yes, mommas. But I distinctly prefer the Indian breeds, the ones that I grew up with, does not matter if they are thin and emaciated. Hybrids do not engender the same sentiment. Gaijin.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Question:

Why cows are so sacred within the Hindu religions?
And if cows are sacred, why do people often beat the cows with thin sticks. I was once surprised to see a guy throwing a stone directly at a cows head when I was young.
Still happens in India today.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Question:

Why cows are so sacred within the Hindu religions?
And if cows are sacred, why do people often beat the cows with thin sticks. I was once surprised to see a guy throwing a stone directly at a cows head when I was young.
Still happens in India today.

Gomata is divine mother
kamdhenu.jpg

and also very dear to Krsna and Balaram
KB%20and%20Cows1.jpg

one who hits a cow is in a very impoverished state , he is thinking only on a material level
I pitty such a person who will beat a Cow as he is no more than an animal himself and will suffer in future lives for his actions , ...I pitty these ignorant persons , ...

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Gomata is divine mother
kamdhenu.jpg

and also very dear to Krsna and Balaram
KB%20and%20Cows1.jpg

one who hits a cow is in a very impoverished state , he is thinking only on a material level
I pitty such a person who will beat a Cow as he is no more than an animal himself and will suffer in future lives for his actions , ...I pitty these ignorant persons , ...

What about the people who include cow in their diet, both inside and outside India?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What about the people who include cow in their diet, both inside and outside India?
If it has been the tradition in their community, it is OK. Being cruel to any animal is not fair, not just the cows.

However it is a fact that where beef is eaten, the number of cows has increased (5 times in Nagaland), and where beef is prohibited the number of cows has gone down (nearly half in Haryana). That is economics.

GoodbyeDave

You can be cruel to cows without eating them. Look at this foul practice in the USA:
It's even spreading to the UK. I don't drink milk, but I make sure my cheese is from properly reared cattle. English countryside is cow heaven (in the summer, at least)!
Scottish cattle are something else: