• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only those who understand cows need apply ..

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
Yuvraj (Prince), a giant 1400kg Murrah bull that on Friday was crowned champion at Meerut's All India Cattle Show by a 10-member jury, startled as much by the animal's size as by his owner's refusal to sell it for a mind-boggling Rs 7 crore (USD One Million). (The owner earns more by selling the semen) "I earn close to Rs 50 lakh a year from Yuvraj," the owner says with a smile "but everything in life is not about money." (That is a little less than USD hundred thousand - Aup has spiced owner's statement a little) Yuvraj stretches to 14 feet in length and a couple of notches over 5 feet 9 inches in height.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...own-Rs-7-crore-offer/articleshow/44864006.cms

49764196.cms

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Back a few years ago I was rooked into being in something called 4H, a service club dedicated to agriculture. I did 4-H beef for 2 years in childhood. There is nothing quite so impressive as a huge bull. Holsteins were the most impressive, just for their size.

Chakra

Premium Member
If it has been the tradition in their community, it is OK. Being cruel to any animal is not fair, not just the cows.

However it is a fact that where beef is eaten, the number of cows has increased (5 times in Nagaland), and where beef is prohibited the number of cows has gone down (nearly half in Haryana). That is economics.
So, you think it works? Beef bans and such?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Beautiful. They are such gentle and social animals. I really like the below video where the guy calls the cows with his flute and feeds them jackfruit:

I sorta Imagine, this is how Lord Krsna would've called the cows each morning to begin grazing.
I bet their milk would taste wonderful. I am a huge milk lover. Have you tried ghee Nitai-Dasa? Or curd? I have not myself.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
Ghee is the soul of Indian cooking. Many people say that 'ghee' is the ultimate remedy for all maladies. Treatment (Vaidyagi) is really Vaidyaghee. How come you have not tried Yogurt, curd, whey, etc. They are delightful. Do it ASAP (Don't know what kind is available in Australia).
Though Cow Ghee may be available in shops in your city but you would not know what to do with it.
Visit an authentic Indian restaurant.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ghee is not hard to make at all:
  • 1 lb of unsalted butter, yields about a cup (more or less) of finished ghee..
  • Small saucepan.
  • Cut the butter into small chunks so it melts better.
  • Melt butter chunks in saucepan on low flame, stirring very often.
  • Butter will bubble and form a foam. That's the water being driven off.
  • Butter will begin to clear; the butter solids will sink to the bottom of the pan. Don't let them burn, but they will brown (you can use that to cook with, or butter your toast).
  • When the butterfat is perfectly clear, with all butter solids settled to the bottom, remove from the heat.
  • Line a mesh strainer with several layers of cheesecloth, and pour into another container. I use a glass French preserve jar.
  • The ghee, when hot, should be perfectly clear and golden.
I refrigerate it. To use it in a diya, you can let it soften and melt a bit so it can soak the wick.That how I do it. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
So, you think it works? Beef bans and such?
Continuing .. There is one thing which we cannot down with rhetoric and that is economics. Beef ban will bring down the number of cows, make milk costlier, encourage people to manufacture Urea milk, and harm childrens' health (don't know the exact process but people do it with urea and deterents and it is very difficult to check in lab tests). Milk available in India is contaminated with Urea milk. The same holds good for ban on liquor. I am waiting for spurious liquor deaths in Bihar, they are bound to happen like in other regions.

Chakra

Premium Member
Continuing .. There is one thing which we cannot down with rhetoric and that is economics. Beef ban will bring down the number of cows, make milk costlier, encourage people to manufacture Urea milk, and harm childrens' health (don't know the exact process but people do it with urea and deterents and it is very difficult to check in lab tests). Milk available in India is contaminated with Urea milk. The same holds good for ban on liquor. I am waiting for spurious liquor deaths in Bihar, they are bound to happen like in other regions.
Thanks for the reply.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like heifers also. Or are they cows?

two_headed_cow_by_ivycloud717-d4krfua.jpg

Heifers are female cattle over 1 year old that have not given birth to a calf.

A bullock is a young uncastrated bull (American English), or a young castrated bull in British English (which is a steer in American English). An older castrated bull is called unlucky.

GoodbyeDave

A bullock is a ... young castrated bull in British English. An older castrated bull is called unlucky.
Actually he's a bullock in Britain, however old he gets. The dictionary says an ox can be a bull or a cow, but for me he's a bull or a bullock: I have no word which can serve as the singular of cattle. All these terms just show how important cattle have been in Europe and India.