• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only your religion is right. Justification please!?

yodh

religion is a form of worship to God. IF THIS RELIGION WORSHIPS A FALSE GOD or a man's practice as one commented, THEN YOU ARE RIGHT TO SAY THAT THIS IS MAN-MADE.
They themselves knew it, and keep denying and blindly accepting such matter.
Why such humans act this way? Satan rules this world. HE created as many religions as possible, can deceive many,even you. What do you think?
I believe in a Creator, Jehovah. His son, Jesus.
Why not check the aunthenticity of the bible. I encourage you to do so then compare the teachings of the bible with all religions you know and dont worldwide. i do know one religion whose form of worship supported by God, for he established this religion.
1John 4:1 states "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world."
Why not you yourself justify matters. you will be benefited, im sure of this for i myself roam around the Bible and found the God-made religion.
t.y.

religion is a form of worship to God. IF THIS RELIGION WORSHIPS A FALSE GOD or a man's practice as one commented, THEN YOU ARE RIGHT TO SAY THAT THIS IS MAN-MADE.
Why such humans act this way? Satan rules this world. HE created as many religions as possible, can deceive many,even you. What do you think?
Why not check the aunthenticity of the bible. I encourage you to do so then compare the teachings of the bible with all religions you know and dont worldwide. i do know one religion whose form of worship supported by God, for he established this religion.
1John 4:1 states "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world."
Why not you yourself justify matters. you will be benefited, im sure of this for i myself roam around the Bible and found the God-made religion.
t.y.

Wow. One of the more interesting answers so far.
How do you know Islam is not correct, and satan created the bible? After all, the god in the old testament does a LOT of commandent breaking. Including genocide, drowning the whole world including infant and pregnant women, he did a of murder, and incited human sacrafice. Got satan written all over it....if you believe in this sort of thing.

ButTheCatCameBack

Wow. One of the more interesting answers so far.
How do you know Islam is not correct, and satan created the bible? After all, the god in the old testament does a LOT of commandent breaking. Including genocide, drowning the whole world including infant and pregnant women, he did a of murder, and incited human sacrafice. Got satan written all over it....if you believe in this sort of thing.

It seems to simply be a reiteration of that horribly bland and trite catch phrase. Namely "It's not a religion, it's a relationship!" Even beyond it's myopia and hypocrisy. The nature of that idea is rather strange. What if you're religion was one not based on some sort of implicit relationship. Either to a personal God or otherwise. Globalization and the information make the already absurd idea of one true religion even more obviously absurd.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
t.y.

Did that, found it was totally fake, done.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
A way of life based on assertions about reality: God exists, there is only one, His name is Allah, He had a prophet, He told the prophet what He expects of us...
actually the assertion is more complicated than that: God always existed, there is only one, His name is The God, but you have to say it in Arabic, He chose a illitarate prophet( ;)), He told an angel to tell the prophet to tell his friends to write what He expects of us, it should be obvious to us that that story is true...;)

Last edited:

Luminous

non-existential luminary
And some people think Heaven is an imaginary place. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?
it doesn't matter what is true (agnosticism) but only what is "right" meaning what suits him "right" that being Pascal's wager...such evil shall be especially punished by God. only Agnostics are saved from purification in Naraka. :D

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Since you break God's law and are glad of it, then is not God justified in punishing you and ultimately sending you to hell?
As has been said, you would first have to prove that your idol scripture based lonely lessergod(angel)-sharing hypocrite god is the true god...being as in Islam, it is a sin to associate other beings with God(as in Hinduism and Christianity)

Luminous

non-existential luminary
That is like the criminal who isn't worried about jail time becuase he doesn't believe the police will catch him. It is an irrational belief and so is yours.
No, its like a person who isn't worried about jail time because he doesn't believe the dessert island he lives in has any invisible police that would even bother to play got-cha games with him...its a completely rational assertion.

nrg

I don't particularly feel that only my religion is right, unless we are talking specifically about ME. IF we are talking about large goups of people, then it may be right for some, but I sincerely doubt that it is right for all.
This sounds really strange. You are not making a statement about yourself when you make a religious statement, you are often making a statement about the spiritual world, the cosmos, what's right, wrong etc. and lots of other things. These are not limited to you, statements like these affect all of us.

If you're a buddhist, you either chose it without any form of reasoning or you thought about it and came to the conclusion that it was true (or, at least, the most propable of the bunch). There really isn't much room for anything else. And if you came to the conclusion that it was true, then you also came to the conclusion that every other religion is less propable.

I mean, statements about religions is statements that affect the entire universe. These kinds of truth aren't subjective.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
This sounds really strange. You are not making a statement about yourself when you make a religious statement, you are often making a statement about the spiritual world, the cosmos, what's right, wrong etc. and lots of other things. These are not limited to you, statements like these affect all of us.

If you're a buddhist, you either chose it without any form of reasoning or you thought about it and came to the conclusion that it was true (or, at least, the most propable of the bunch). There really isn't much room for anything else. And if you came to the conclusion that it was true, then you also came to the conclusion that every other religion is less propable.

I mean, statements about religions is statements that affect the entire universe. These kinds of truth aren't subjective.

That's not all religion is. I'm religious, and a theist, but as far as the physical universe is concerned, I defer to modern science.

Religion is primarily a way of life.

If you know anything about Buddhism, you'd know that, at it's core, it is compatible with pretty much every other religion in the world, and even compatible with atheism. (There are plenty of atheistic Buddhists.)

nrg

That's not all religion is. I'm religious, and a theist, but as far as the physical universe is concerned, I defer to modern science.
If you believe God did create the physical universe you hold a belief about the physical universe, it really is that simple. This isn't anything subjective either, you can't believe that you and I are both right (that we are both entitled to our belief is something entirely different since it makes no claim about the validity of our beliefs) and that's in the eye of the beholder. This isn't some movie we're making up our opinion about, this is a physical entity we are analysing and drawing conclusions from.

Riverwolf said:
Religion is primarily a way of life.
I have no idea how this has anything to do with anything. If you chose your religion you either chose it without any reasoning or because it feels more propable. It really is that simple.

Riverwof said:
If you know anything about Buddhism, you'd know that, at it's core, it is compatible with pretty much every other religion in the world, and even compatible with atheism. (There are plenty of atheistic Buddhists.)
I do know alot about Buddhism and it makes alot of assumptions about the cosmos, such as reincarnation, the possibility to ascend into nirvana, Karma as the law of cause and effect and all of these are statements about how the universe works. Atheism doesn't make any other statement than "we don't believe there is a God", so yes they are compatible, but Buddhism still makes alot of statements about the universe and, indirectly, it therefore makes the statement that materialism has got it all wrong.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I do know alot about Buddhism and it makes alot of assumptions about the cosmos, such as reincarnation, the possibility to ascend into nirvana, Karma as the law of cause and effect and all of these are statements about how the universe works. Atheism doesn't make any other statement than "we don't believe there is a God", so yes they are compatible, but Buddhism still makes alot of statements about the universe and, indirectly, it therefore makes the statement that materialism has got it all wrong.
Are you talking about atheism or materialism here? Besides, just exactly what is materialism formally?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
If you believe God did create the physical universe you hold a belief about the physical universe, it really is that simple. This isn't anything subjective either, you can't believe that you and I are both right (that we are both entitled to our belief is something entirely different since it makes no claim about the validity of our beliefs) and that's in the eye of the beholder. This isn't some movie we're making up our opinion about, this is a physical entity we are analysing and drawing conclusions from.

What does that have to do with what I said?

I have no idea how this has anything to do with anything. If you chose your religion you either chose it without any reasoning or because it feels more propable. It really is that simple.

I was clarifying that religion isn't necessarily an opinion about the physical universe.

I do know alot about Buddhism and it makes alot of assumptions about the cosmos, such as reincarnation, the possibility to ascend into nirvana, Karma as the law of cause and effect and all of these are statements about how the universe works.

Clearly you don't know much about what those actually are. Reincarnation, i.e., the idea that we have a soul that goes from body to body based on what we do here, is Vedic, not Buddhist; in fact, the Buddha taught that we don't have a soul. He taught what's called "rebirth," which is simply, from what he said, a manifestation of the extreme desire to live. I don't really believe this to be true. The law of cause and effect is a scientific law (and also a carry-over from the Vedic religion, BTW), nirvana is simply a state of mind, and a documentary about the Buddha that came out this year mentioned something that I haven't confirmed yet, but does make sense: the Buddha taught that if a person finds a flaw in his teachings, they are free to throw that flaw out.

Atheism doesn't make any other statement than "we don't believe there is a God", so yes they are compatible, but Buddhism still makes alot of statements about the universe and, indirectly, it therefore makes the statement that materialism has got it all wrong.

No, it doesn't. Tons of Buddhists live in the material world. You're thinking of renunciation philosophies, which are present in all Dharmic religions. It simply teaches not to be attached to them; i.e., recognize the fact that all things are only temporary, and enjoy them thusly, so that the pain of parting does not linger or leave a lasting impression. (And so it's much easier.)

All Buddhism teaches is that the world is full of dissatisfaction, that it's caused by uncontrolled desire, that there is a way to end dissatisfaction once and for all, and that way is organized into the eightfold path, which, at its core, is simply a way of life. It wasn't based on assumptions, but experience.

nrg

Are you talking about atheism or materialism here? Besides, just exactly what is materialism formally?
Well, atheism and materialism are more often than not walking hand in hand, and I apologize for not being clear: I'm talking about materialistic atheism, the belief I hold myself.

Materialism is the belief that a physical world is all there is. There's no spiritual side of things and only physical interactions can affect the world. Also, your thoughts is nothing more than the result of a chemical reaction that you likely have less than no control over, since it's more likely that a materialistic world would be deterministic (albeit chaotic).

In short, it asserts that ideas about Karma, reincarnation and all those other core concepts of buddhism is wrong.

Riverwolf said:
What does that have to do with what I said?
I'm just reinforcing my statement that religion does make claims about how the universe works simply by claiming there's a creator. I never said that's the only thing religion does, and so I wanted to respond in a way that got back to my original statement.

Riverwolf said:
I was clarifying that religion isn't necessarily an opinion about the physical universe.
I know that, but that's not something I've tried to refute. I have only responded to the claim that a religion "is true for me, but other things can be true for other people", wich is a fallacious statement. By claiming something is true you're claiming the contrary to be wrong, because you can't have two contradicting truths. That's the point I'm trying to bring forward.

Riverwolf said:
Clearly you don't know much about what those actually are. Reincarnation, i.e., the idea that we have a soul that goes from body to body based on what we do here, is Vedic, not Buddhist; in fact, the Buddha taught that we don't have a soul. He taught what's called "rebirth," which is simply, from what he said, a manifestation of the extreme desire to live.
According to Buddhism and Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (and a quick check of the references in the wiki-article) reincarnation is a concept of buddhism, although various branches have their interpretation about how it works and what it really means of course.

But even if every buddhist actually did believe it was only a manifestation of the extreme desire to live, it's not compatible with materialism (how could the emotion called "desire" manifest itself into something physical and distinguishable?), and therefore buddhism would still claim it's wrong and materialism would claim buddhism's wrong.

Riverwolf said:
The law of cause and effect is a scientific law (and also a carry-over from the Vedic religion, BTW)
Uh, yeah, but there's a lot less "Karma" being thrown around when it's being discussed at a university faculty and alot more "chaos theory", "determinism" and "predictability". None of wich is comparable with the idea of Karma, because with a materialistic base, it doesn't matter if your actions are good or bad you've still got no idea about how your life is going to be affected by it unless your omniscient.

Riverwolf said:
nirvana is simply a state of mind,
Wich is, according to materialism, impossible to attain unless your neurological systems are messed up. You cimply can't rid yourself of greed, hate, delusion or even love, and you have no control over it either, the brain's chemistry has.

Riverwolf said:
No, it doesn't. Tons of Buddhists live in the material world. You're thinking of renunciation philosophies, which are present in all Dharmic religions.
No, I'm not, I just think I've not been clear. I'm talking about the materialistic belief, that there is nothing else but the material world and that anything super natural cannot exist because nothing can be beyond nature in a materialistic world. Everything, really everything, can be figured out as long as you've got an infinite ammount of time to study it or become omniscient.

Riverwolf said:
All Buddhism teaches is that the world is full of dissatisfaction, that it's caused by uncontrolled desire, that there is a way to end dissatisfaction once and for all, and that way is organized into the eightfold path, which, at its core, is simply a way of life. It wasn't based on assumptions, but experience.
I'm not quite as sure as you are that the hundreds of millions of practicing buddhists really have no supernatural elements in their belief.

And it still makes alot of assumptions. Could you please show me Buddhas research that made him draw those conclusions, the people who peer reviewed his research and the attempts to falsify it otherwise?

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
In short, it asserts that ideas about Karma, reincarnation and all those other core concepts of buddhism is wrong.

Except those aren't core concepts. Only the Four Noble Truths are; from my research, that's the only teaching of the Buddha that all Buddhist schools agree he taught; anything else is disputed.

I'm just reinforcing my statement that religion does make claims about how the universe works simply by claiming there's a creator. I never said that's the only thing religion does, and so I wanted to respond in a way that got back to my original statement.

I never said there was a creator; I said I'm a theist. Not all God-concepts are Creator-based, you know.

I don't believe there ever was a "creation"; I believe that all the absolute core components that ultimately make up the universe have always existed in some form or another, and are able to interact without the need for a puppeteer.

I know that, but that's not something I've tried to refute. I have only responded to the claim that a religion "is true for me, but other things can be true for other people", wich is a fallacious statement. By claiming something is true you're claiming the contrary to be wrong, because you can't have two contradicting truths. That's the point I'm trying to bring forward.

But you can have two conflicting perceptions and opinions.

Sure, you have a problem when you put forth a perception or opinion as fact. Yes, many religions do that... in fact, many people do that.

According to Buddhism and Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (and a quick check of the references in the wiki-article) reincarnation is a concept of buddhism, although various branches have their interpretation about how it works and what it really means of course.

...Wiki isn't the best source for in-depth information on religions; in fact, when it comes to Eastern religions, there's a lot of misinformation and confusion running around. Your best source of accurate information concerning Eastern religions is still books.

If I may recommend a book, go read "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. It's short and simple; it can be finished in a couple hours.

I'm not interested in what the followers believe, nor am I interested in the watered-down Western Pop-Buddhism (which often gets confused for the real thing.) I'm interested in what the Buddha himself said.

But even if every buddhist actually did believe it was only a manifestation of the extreme desire to live, it's not compatible with materialism (how could the emotion called "desire" manifest itself into something physical and distinguishable?), and therefore buddhism would still claim it's wrong and materialism would claim buddhism's wrong.

Like I said, the Buddha taught that if you find an aspect of his teachings to be false, discard that particular teaching.

Find one piece of fruit on a tree that's bad, do you discard the whole tree or just that one fruit? (Hope you don't mind metaphors.)

Uh, yeah, but there's a lot less "Karma" being thrown around when it's being discussed at a university faculty and alot more "chaos theory", "determinism" and "predictability". None of wich is comparable with the idea of Karma, because with a materialistic base, it doesn't matter if your actions are good or bad you've still got no idea about how your life is going to be affected by it unless your omniscient.

Well, this isn't a discussion about what Karma is, and people disagree with what it means and whether or not it's about morality, so let's just drop the concept. It really has little to do with the discussion at hand.

Wich is, according to materialism, impossible to attain unless your neurological systems are messed up. You cimply can't rid yourself of greed, hate, delusion or even love, and you have no control over it either, the brain's chemistry has.

I think you're underestimating the power we have over our desires. It's all about discipline.

And you just basically said that people who have self-mastery and discipline have a neurological disorder, which is more than a bit offensive, besides being untrue. It's BETTER to be as disciplined and controlled as possible, not worse, and many people have managed to do it. It's easier if you start as a kid, and once you reach a certain age, it becomes impossible.

Besides, who said the goal is to get rid of those things? The goal is to bring them under control, which experience, and common sense, tells me is perfectly possible. It's hard, yes, but hard and impossible aren't the same things.

Sorry, but what you just said sounds too defeatist and cold for me.

No, I'm not, I just think I've not been clear. I'm talking about the materialistic belief, that there is nothing else but the material world and that anything super natural cannot exist because nothing can be beyond nature in a materialistic world. Everything, really everything, can be figured out as long as you've got an infinite ammount of time to study it or become omniscient.

...I think we're having some miscommunication, here. I don't disagree that nothing can exist beyond nature, and I don't think many Buddhists do, either.

I'm not quite as sure as you are that the hundreds of millions of practicing buddhists really have no supernatural elements in their belief.

Did I say that?

Are you under the impression that all Buddhists believe the same thing? 'Cause that's not true. Some believe that the Buddha was a God, some believe that, while he was enlightened, he was still a man like everybody else. Some believe that only monks can perfect the Eightfold Path, others believe that anybody can do it. Some Buddhists are also Vaishnavas, who believe that the Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu.

Unless you're talking about the Four Noble Truths, you can't really cite a belief that the hundreds of millions of practicing Buddhists agree on. Yes, many do have supernatural elements to them; many don't.

And it still makes alot of assumptions. Could you please show me Buddhas research that made him draw those conclusions, the people who peer reviewed his research and the attempts to falsify it otherwise?

Is scientific and peer-reviewed research the ONLY POSSIBLE way to learn something?

From what my research has shown, he learned it through experience, contemplation, and logic. I still haven't grasped what the Eightfold Path is talking about, but that's where contemplation comes in. (Then again, I'm not per se a "Buddhist." ^_^)

nrg

I never said there was a creator; I said I'm a theist. Not all God-concepts are Creator-based, you know.
Ok, sorry for making that assumption.

Riverwolf said:
I don't believe there ever was a "creation"; I believe that all the absolute core components that ultimately make up the universe have always existed in some form or another, and are able to interact without the need for a puppeteer.
And where does your God-concept come into the picture? What does it do?

And I don't believe that all the components that make up the universe has always existed. There is still to much research to be made before you can assert wich conclusion is the best one to draw, so we believe each other to be wrong again.

Riverwolf said:
But you can have two conflicting perceptions and opinions.
Yep, and they can't both be true.

Riverwolf said:
I'm not interested in what the followers believe, nor am I interested in the watered-down Western Pop-Buddhism (which often gets confused for the real thing.) I'm interested in what the Buddha himself said.
Ok, but i still don't see what this has to do with anything?

Do you agree or do you not agree that what the majority of buddhist claim is absolutely incompatible with materialistic atheism? It's a simple question, can they both be right at the same time?

Riverwolf said:
Like I said, the Buddha taught that if you find an aspect of his teachings to be false, discard that particular teaching.

Find one piece of fruit on a tree that's bad, do you discard the whole tree or just that one fruit? (Hope you don't mind metaphors.)
No, but if the tree claims to be infallible and only saying what's right, it's certainly been disproved that if you find a bad fruit on it.

And why listen to Buddha anyway? Ok, he'll help see things from his perspective, but that's it, you can do the same thing by asking the guy on the street. Why not use reason and find out what's right and wrong and simply by-pass Buddha? That's what I as a materialistic atheist do, I don't believe there's any sort of moral authority.

Riverwolf said:
Well, this isn't a discussion about what Karma is, and people disagree with what it means and whether or not it's about morality, so let's just drop the concept. It really has little to do with the discussion at hand.
No, I think it really is relevant to the discussion. If it is anything other than simple cause and effect, and does assert that good action will bring about good consequences, it's not comparable with materialistic atheism.

Riverwolf said:
I think you're underestimating the power we have over our desires. It's all about discipline.
In a materialistic universe, you have no control over when you're disciplined too. No matter what you do, you're doing it as a consequence of something else. You literally have no choices in a materialistic world and you never will. How does that fit in with Buddhism?

Riverwolf said:
And you just basically said that people who have self-mastery and discipline have a neurological disorder, which is more than a bit offensive, besides being untrue.
I said that people who can't feel desires must have messed up neurological functions. It's impossible to not feel any of this since it's a vital function for us to feel it, if you don't feel these things you have to be dead. Otherwise, can you stop feeling your desire to breath so that i can have some extra air?
Riverwolf said:
Besides, who said the goal is to get rid of those things?
My sources tells me it's the definition of Nirvana.

I'm sorry, but we will have to agree on what we're talking about here. I'm talking about Buddhism, the one being practiced by hundreds of millions of people all over the world. I'm doing this because makes a hell of alot more sense, otherwise you would have to discuss for ever about Christianity too. We have too agree on a definition of "Buddhism", and I'm willing to go with the one the vast majority of the people who identify themselves as "buddhists" choose. If you however feel that your definiton of buddhism really is 8 advices about how to live your life from a simple, non divine man that only said things about the material world and could be right and could be wrong, then sure, that is compatible with materialistic atheism since it simply becomes a personal opinion about what you think is morally right.

Riverwolf said:
...I think we're having some miscommunication, here. I don't disagree that nothing can exist beyond nature, and I don't think many Buddhists do, either.
In that case, most Buddhists do not believe in a literal reincarnation, that Buddha was divine and that his eithfold path is something more special than any other advice about how to live your life or that complete enlightment and rejection of desires is possible. Are you really willing to tell me that hundreds of millions of Buddhist believe this?

Because, you do realise I'm talking about the natural world? As in, the world we can explain and analyze through science?
[QUOTERiverwolf]Did I say that?[/QUOTE] What else do you mean when you say that you think most Buddhist don't believe something can exist beyond the natural world? Because that is what you're saying, right? I really want to be sure that we're not talking through each other.

Riverwolf said:
Are you under the impression that all Buddhists believe the same thing? 'Cause that's not true.
Nope, just that most of them believe in something beyond what we can explain with science. And those that believe that, are indirectly asserting that materialistic atheism is wrong.

Riverwolf said:
Is scientific and peer-reviewed research the ONLY POSSIBLE way to learn something?
No, but the best way. if we have two choices and we must make the choice, logic dictates to always chose the best one, depending on the criteria.

Riverwolf said:
From what my research has shown, he learned it through experience, contemplation, and logic.
Really? He used reasoning to draw all the conclusions he had? I hope it's mentioned, step by step, in the books you mentioned. Could you mention any other source for me to analyze his reasoning otherwise?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
And where does your God-concept come into the picture? What does it do?

Sri Bhagavan is an ideal to live up to.

Brahman is the sum total of all existence.

Siva-Sakti is energy; Siva is potential energy, and Sakti is kinetic energy.

And I don't believe that all the components that make up the universe has always existed. There is still to much research to be made before you can assert wich conclusion is the best one to draw, so we believe each other to be wrong again.
I said "core" components. That is, the most basic components that can't be broken down further.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Yep, and they can't both be true.
Uh... the point of opinions and perceptions is that they're subjective. After all, it isn't "right" that Citizen Kane is the greatest movie ever made; I hated it. It's just an opinion.

Do you not believe in subjectivity?

Ok, but i still don't see what this has to do with anything?

Do you agree or do you not agree that what the majority of buddhist claim is absolutely incompatible with materialistic atheism? It's a simple question, can they both be right at the same time?
I don't know which school the "majority" of Buddhists belong to, so I can't say.

Like I said, it doesn't matter, since I believe that what the Buddha taught is what's essential, not necessarily what the majority of modern Buddhists believe.

No, but if the tree claims to be infallible and only saying what's right, it's certainly been disproved that if you find a bad fruit on it.
When did we start talking about infallibility? Obviously, if the tree claims to never bear bad fruit, and it does, then that tree is incorrect. Still doesn't matter, since it can still bear good fruit.

And why listen to Buddha anyway? Ok, he'll help see things from his perspective, but that's it, you can do the same thing by asking the guy on the street. Why not use reason and find out what's right and wrong and simply by-pass Buddha? That's what I as a materialistic atheist do, I don't believe there's any sort of moral authority.
The Buddha is sometimes attributed as saying (and if he had even the slightest bit of wisdom that he's accredited to have, I believe he would have) that his followers shouldn't follow his teachings blindly, but to try them for themselves. Basically, he teaches, and the students then try it out.

No, I think it really is relevant to the discussion. If it is anything other than simple cause and effect, and does assert that good action will bring about good consequences, it's not comparable with materialistic atheism.
Like I said, people disagree as to what Karma even is. Some people do believe it is some sort of moral force, but others, like myself, believe that morality doesn't enter into it at all. The word itself simply means "action", and in this philosophical way, I believe that it simply states that if you do something well, you'll do fine, and if you do something poorly, you won't. In my opinion, morality doesn't enter into karma whatsoever.

In a materialistic universe, you have no control over when you're disciplined too. No matter what you do, you're doing it as a consequence of something else. You literally have no choices in a materialistic world and you never will. How does that fit in with Buddhism?
Not so well, and it doesn't fit well with reality, either. After all, if I'm understanding what you're saying right, then people who are addicted to something will NEVER, EVER, EVER overcome their addictions, or learn to avoid them, no matter what they do; people who are lazy will NEVER, EVER, EVER become disciplined and self-controlled; someone who sucks at something can never, ever, ever become good at it.

This doesn't fit reality in the slightest. Somehow I doubt it's what you're talking about, though.

I said that people who can't feel desires must have messed up neurological functions. It's impossible to not feel any of this since it's a vital function for us to feel it, if you don't feel these things you have to be dead. Otherwise, can you stop feeling your desire to breath so that i can have some extra air?
My sources tells me it's the definition of Nirvana.
Well, your sources are probably flawed. The Dalai Lama himself admits that desire is necessary. The goal is not to get rid of desire altogether, but to bring it under control.

You'll find no argument from me that desire itself can never go away.

...I seriously get the feeling we're having some serious miscommunication, here.

I'm sorry, but we will have to agree on what we're talking about here. I'm talking about Buddhism, the one being practiced by hundreds of millions of people all over the world. I'm doing this because makes a hell of alot more sense, otherwise you would have to discuss for ever about Christianity too. We have too agree on a definition of "Buddhism", and I'm willing to go with the one the vast majority of the people who identify themselves as "buddhists" choose. If you however feel that your definiton of buddhism really is 8 advices about how to live your life from a simple, non divine man that only said things about the material world and could be right and could be wrong, then sure, that is compatible with materialistic atheism since it simply becomes a personal opinion about what you think is morally right.
Buddhism is following the Buddha's teachings. Remember, there are many different schools of Buddhism, each of which disagrees on what the Buddha taught, and what I'm doing is avoiding the teachings of those various schools and focusing only on the one thing that all Buddhists agree upon. If we wanted to go further, then we'd have to start specifying which school we're talking about.

Remember this: the Buddha's teachings weren't committed to writing until about a century after he died. That's certainly going to cause some problems.

In that case, most Buddhists do not believe in a literal reincarnation, that Buddha was divine and that his eithfold path is something more special than any other advice about how to live your life or that complete enlightment and rejection of desires is possible. Are you really willing to tell me that hundreds of millions of Buddhist believe this?
When did "many" translate to "all"? Heck, when did it even translate to a majority?

Because, you do realise I'm talking about the natural world? As in, the world we can explain and analyze through science?
Yes.

What else do you mean when you say that you think most Buddhist don't believe something can exist beyond the natural world? Because that is what you're saying, right? I really want to be sure that we're not talking through each other.
A religion isn't limited to what a majority of its followers believe.

If that were the case, Hinduism would have little to nothing to do with the majority of the information on the internet about it.

Nope, just that most of them believe in something beyond what we can explain with science. And those that believe that, are indirectly asserting that materialistic atheism is wrong.
I really get the sense that you're equating Buddhism only with whatever school has the largest population. That's an argumentum ad numerum.

No, but the best way. if we have two choices and we must make the choice, logic dictates to always chose the best one, depending on the criteria.
Great. It's not the only way, just the best. We're not in disagreement on that, then.

The scientific method hadn't been perfected when the Buddha lived. He had to go by experience and logic. I'm certainly not going to argue that the modern scientific method isn't superior to that. But experience combined with logic and contemplation can give some good answers.

Really? He used reasoning to draw all the conclusions he had? I hope it's mentioned, step by step, in the books you mentioned. Could you mention any other source for me to analyze his reasoning otherwise?
I only recommended to you one book. I will admit that my research is VERY rudimentary, being that my dad is a Zen Buddhist, I recently watched a wonderful documentary on the Buddha's life (from a metaphysical perspective, admittedly), and I know the basic story by heart, and thought about it frequently.

The first 30 years of the Buddha's life was one lived in pure comfort. Every whim satisfied and every desire fulfilled. Then, he saw the four visions (an old man, a sick man, a dead man, and a renunciate), he left his life of pleasure to pursue a spiritual path. He studied under a couple of Yogic gurus before taking on the life of an ascetic for six years, before finding that that path wasn't effective. He then sat under a tree with the declaration that he wouldn't get up until he knew how to cease dissatisfaction. Obviously, he was thinking about his experience, and drawing his conclusions based on those.

nrg

Sri Bhagavan is an ideal to live up to.

Brahman is the sum total of all existence.

Siva-Sakti is energy; Siva is potential energy, and Sakti is kinetic energy.
That doesn't sound like a God concept at all. Do they do anything? If not, how do they meet the criteria for a God? What doesn't meet the criteria for a God?

Riverwolf said:
I said "core" components. That is, the most basic components that can't be broken down further.
We still don't know about that too. If one of the guesses we have are correct, all matter created itself through the laws of physics along with the concept of time, all in line with the laws of quantum physics (since whenever you have nothing, you will always get a boiling brew of quantum particles that pop in and out of existance).

Riverwolf said:
Uh... the point of opinions and perceptions is that they're subjective. After all, it isn't "right" that Citizen Kane is the greatest movie ever made; I hated it. It's just an opinion.
Exactly. When we're comparing our opinions on a movie we hold different ones. I happened to like Citizen Kane, wich provides us with a good example.

When someone asks me about my opinion on Citizen Kane, I'll say it was a really great movie. Then they'll move onto you, and you'll say you hated it. Through inductive reasoning, we've now established that "Riverwolf did not like Citizen Kane" and "nrg did like Citizen Kane", but the one's who asked still have absolutely no kind of empirical observations that can determine "Is Citizen kane the greatest movie of all time?". It doesn't matter if I'm out numbered by a million to one either, or if you are, because you mesaure how entertaining a movie is by how an individual responds to it, and we all respond differently. You can't even establish if "Citizen Kane made great uses of downward angles", you can only establish that "I responded with pleasure when I saw the downward angles in Citizen Kane".

My point was, you cannot, however, draw the conclusion "Riverwolf hated Citizen Kane" and "Riverwolf gave Citizen Kane 5 out of 5", both of them being right. You see we're I'm getting at? If you do have two opinions, they can't both be right. Likewise, you cannot hold the belief that "God exists and God doesn't exists", therefore you state the other to be false when you pick one of them.

Riverwolf said:
When did we start talking about infallibility? Obviously, if the tree claims to never bear bad fruit, and it does, then that tree is incorrect. Still doesn't matter, since it can still bear good fruit.
Absolutely, I was just trying to talk about how a dogmatic view about what's morally acceptable is not compatible with materialistic atheism, for better or worse I suppose.

Riverwolf said:
The Buddha is sometimes attributed as saying (and if he had even the slightest bit of wisdom that he's accredited to have, I believe he would have) that his followers shouldn't follow his teachings blindly, but to try them for themselves. Basically, he teaches, and the students then try it out.
That's what my programing teacher says too. That's what I say when I'm helping out with the Swedish for Immigrants education too. I'm confused, is following advices of people a religion? Because it seems we're drifting more and more away from the original discussion.

Riverwolf said:
Like I said, people disagree as to what Karma even is. Some people do believe it is some sort of moral force, but others, like myself, believe that morality doesn't enter into it at all. The word itself simply means "action", and in this philosophical way, I believe that it simply states that if you do something well, you'll do fine, and if you do something poorly, you won't.
Do you mean in the particular task at hand? That if you do you math test well, you'll get a better grade? I could stretch that your overall propability to get a good math grade increases if you do well, but that's it.

Not so well, and it doesn't fit well with reality, either. After all, if I'm understanding what you're saying right, then people who are addicted to something will NEVER, EVER, EVER overcome their addictions, or learn to avoid them, no matter what they do; people who are lazy will NEVER, EVER, EVER become disciplined and self-controlled; someone who sucks at something can never, ever, ever become good at it.

This doesn't fit reality in the slightest. Somehow I doubt it's what you're talking about, though.
You should've listened to your doubt, because that's not what I was talking about.

Let me give you an example. Let's say you and I are working out at the gym. You become brutally honest with me, and tell me that if I want to get my abs into shape I'll have to come to the gym two more times a week. I listen to you, I start going to the gym more often, get in shape and become proud over my achievments.

However, I only came to the gym more often because you advised it. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have started going to the gym more often until some other event would've convinced me. And you only said I should come more often because I was at the gym, at that time. If I would've been sick that day, you wouldn't have, and you would've been forced to tell me at another time, or maybe it wouldn't cross you're mind and you would never think about saying it ever again. And in turn, you only told me to do it because you wanted to give me advice, like something a friend would do. If you would've thought I was an obnoxious moron, maybe you couldn't care less about my health.

We can compare it with something that's commonly misunderstood of chaos theory (but still proven), the butterfly effect. Weather predictions are totally useleess if they're off with a couple of factors, wich is why everyone makes jokes about how wrong the forecasts are sometimes. Therefore, you cannot predict wether or not it will rain in Kansas City a year from now, because a butterfly can flap it's wings and throw the whole weather prediction off, wich is why weather fills the criteria for a chaotic system. And you cannot predict what your life will be 30 years from now; you could be depressed and filled with no motivation at all, or be full of energy after a series of events and accomplish great things. It's all decided by very small changes that accumulates into larger ones. No wing flap, no rain. No advice, no abs.

Riverwolf said:
Well, your sources are probably flawed. The Dalai Lama himself admits that desire is necessary. The goal is not to get rid of desire altogether, but to bring it under control.

You'll find no argument from me that desire itself can never go away.

...I seriously get the feeling we're having some serious miscommunication, here.
I do too. I'm just discussing wether or not you can say "Buddhism is right" while at the sime time saying that "Materialistic atheism is wrong". The sort of secular buddhism you're explaining sounds like it doesn't contest material atheism at any ground, and that I do confess.

Riverwolf said:
Buddhism is following the Buddha's teachings. Remember, there are many different schools of Buddhism, each of which disagrees on what the Buddha taught, and what I'm doing is avoiding the teachings of those various schools and focusing only on the one thing that all Buddhists agree upon. If we wanted to go further, then we'd have to start specifying which school we're talking about.

Remember this: the Buddha's teachings weren't committed to writing until about a century after he died. That's certainly going to cause some problems.
All right, and depending on the interpretation, it either contradicts or doesn't contradict all other religions in the world. Shake hands?

Riverwolf said:
When did "many" translate to "all"? Heck, when did it even translate to a majority?
Sorry, I jumped to conclusions.

Riverwolf said:
I really get the sense that you're equating Buddhism only with whatever school has the largest population. That's an argumentum ad numerum.
I'll confess that it's lazy to lable everyone by their community. My intention was just that it's more practical to discuss views and how they contend other views.

Last edited: