• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion on gaming?

One of my friends tried to get one of the teachers at my school into gaming but the teacher said he doesn't want to be associated with kids who kill. Is that how people view gaming? If so the video game industry needs a massive PR campaign.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
It doesn't help that CoD is so damn popular. Nor does it help that parents don't know how to not let their nine-year-old kids play M rated games. The games that appeal to non-gamers are the shooting games anyway :shrug:

There's definitely a lot more to gaming though; its just a shame that the run-shoot-die-repeat format has become so popular. I prefer action-adventure and platformers.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
One of my friends tried to get one of the teachers at my school into gaming but the teacher said he doesn't want to be associated with kids who kill. Is that how people view gaming? If so the video game industry needs a massive PR campaign.

Kinda sad that the teacher would parade their own ignorance in such a fashion.
I grew up pre-video games (mostly), and ran around playing Cowboys and Indians, and War with my friends. I would have thought the questions are more around violence and exposure to them, be it via movies, games, the news, or real-life, not 'video-games = bad' jingoism.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Uh... how is gaming in any way association with killers? That's my question to that teacher.

xkatz

There's definitely a lot more to gaming though; its just a shame that the run-shoot-die-repeat format has become so popular.
Sometimes I just want to being a kid again and go back to the days of N64 and Gamecube, when consoles were actually good and the major developers were actually trying.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Meh....my 4 year old son and 5 year old daughter played some CoD earlier after my wife and I played for a bit. It's been ages since we killed anybody :shrug:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Sometimes I just want to being a kid again and go back to the days of N64 and Gamecube, when consoles were actually good and the major developers were actually trying.

Yeah, I remember when the most violent popular game was Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Admittedly, we played those games when we were under 13, but it was a bit different than CoD.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I do not get into gaming. I have played some fun games in the past, mostly PS1 games and some PS2 games, and very few xbox 360 games. Never touched a game for a while

CynthiaCypher

Yeah, I remember when the most violent popular game was Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Admittedly, we played those games when we were under 13, but it was a bit different than CoD.

What was the name of the game you old people played where this ice man would tear the head off of Scorpio man and wave it around?

xkatz

Console games were good because they had good single player content or they were fun to play with IRL friends. Playing online sucks all the fun from it.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Console games were good because they had good single player content or they were fun to play with IRL friends. Playing online sucks all the fun from it.

Yeah, it's disappointing that the 360 and PS3 don't take advantage of 4-player content. Online is fun with certain games, but playing with friends in person is great fun. At least Nintendo is trying to continue innovation and fun factors (not that they are always doing a good job at it). Playing Smash Bros. with a group of friends and switching out the 4th place of each match is great. I love party games.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
What was the name of the game you old people played where this ice man would tear the head off of Scorpio man and wave it around?

Hehe, Mortal Kombat was pretty brutal. I never liked that stuff as a kid, I was a bit sensitive to gore stuff.

I remember playing the Sega Genesis version that had all the blood removed :D

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Hehe, Mortal Kombat was pretty brutal. I never liked that stuff as a kid, I was a bit sensitive to gore stuff.

I remember playing the Sega Genesis version that had all the blood removed :D

Dude, the Genesis port is the one that had all the blood put back in! The Super Nintendo is the one that took out the blood. It was a major component in that console war, being one of the primary influences of the notion that the Super Nintendo was for kids and the Genesis was for adults.

...granted, you had to turn the blood on with a code, but still.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
...I'm a bit surprised that CoD is constantly getting brought up here. I'm a gamer, but I never got into those games. Is such a bland, mediocre series so big that it's basically the public face of gaming?

With that kind of franchise holding the monopoly on that title, no wonder so many people are loath to identify as "gamers" nowadays.

Sees

Dragonslayer
...I'm a bit surprised that CoD is constantly getting brought up here. I'm a gamer, but I never got into those games. Is such a bland, mediocre series so big that it's basically the public face of gaming?

With that kind of franchise holding the monopoly on that title, no wonder so many people are loath to identify as "gamers" nowadays.

I think it is the main target because it is both extremely successful and over half of the online players are youngins. It's insane how much the franchise pulls in every holiday season.

Thana

Lady

Pffft. That's ridiculous.
I wonder how old the teacher is.

Also, People who play CoD or GTA think they're gamers. Please.
Most of them wouldn't even be able to tell you what an MMORPG is.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim

I was under the impression that it's trendy to be a gamer these days :confused:

But I don't game that much beyond DotA 2 and EUIV anyway. Although, I may get back into Friday night raiding when WoD hits.

samosasauce

Gaming itself is absolutely fine; gamers get a bad rap from people who think they know psychology and sociology much more than they do