• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Organized Religion: The Root Of All Evil

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Do you ever contribute anything original to the conversation, or do you just troll and nitpick others?

Thank you in advance.
My apologies.
I thought it was painfully obvious that your "explanation" was severely lacking.
Especially given my reply.

Now if you want to start throwing around accusations of trolling, make sure you include yourself.
Especially given that sorry excuse for an "explanation" you half assed tossed out.

Triscuit

My apologies.
I thought it was painfully obvious that your "explanation" was severely lacking.
Especially given my reply.

Now if you want to start throwing around accusations of trolling, make sure you include yourself.
Especially given that sorry excuse for an "explanation" you half assed tossed out.

You still have not posted a single original thought in this thread. You only critique others. Perhaps my response was 'half-assed' and 'sorry' but those are levels you have yet to approach.

rusra02

Premium Member
I am of the belief that organized religion is the root of all evil. Many of the atrocities that have been committed over the course of time have a religious undertone to them. Countless times the phrase "in the name of God" has been tossed around to justify acts of violence.

Most religions have a period of time in which they were the aggressors and carried out heinous, violent acts of barbarism. From the Christian Crusades into the Holy Land all the way up to the radical Islamic terrorists of today. Religion is a cultural issue, and when two different cultures collide, the end result has a tendency to turn violent. Such is the nature of humans.

Quite frankly I am tired of all the holy wars, the suicide bombings, the beheadings, the retaliations, and the Romanesque Coliseum interest in such violence. The radicals on all sides would serve the planet better if they would all just off themselves and leave the rest of us in peace. Live and let live.

I agree that religion (false religion) is responsible, or at least, complicit, for most of the evil perpetrated through the centuries. And I believe the true God will call them to account for their crimes against him and humanity. (Revelation 17:1,2)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
That is because people are afraid to think that death might be the end. They want to continue to exist, even if in a spiritual form. The concept of an afterlife is to comfort the living, not the dead.
Yes I agree, I believe most people cling to organised religion for comfort because of conscious or unconscious fear, like a child clings to his security blanket, when I let bgo of my clinging to organised religion, I then for the first time grew up and matured spiritually.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I agree that religion (false religion) is responsible, or at least, complicit, for most of the evil perpetrated through the centuries. And I believe the true God will call them to account for their crimes against him and humanity. (Revelation 17:1,2)
FB_IMG_1466093654101.jpg

suncowiam

I am of the belief that organized religion is the root of all evil. Many of the atrocities that have been committed over the course of time have a religious undertone to them. Countless times the phrase "in the name of God" has been tossed around to justify acts of violence.

Most religions have a period of time in which they were the aggressors and carried out heinous, violent acts of barbarism. From the Christian Crusades into the Holy Land all the way up to the radical Islamic terrorists of today. Religion is a cultural issue, and when two different cultures collide, the end result has a tendency to turn violent. Such is the nature of humans.

Quite frankly I am tired of all the holy wars, the suicide bombings, the beheadings, the retaliations, and the Romanesque Coliseum interest in such violence. The radicals on all sides would serve the planet better if they would all just off themselves and leave the rest of us in peace. Live and let live.

Religion is not the root of ALL of evil, but it has no foundation in reality. The process of decision making is based on speculation and hearsay. At the root of its processes, is a requirement to translate ambiguous text or history for religions based from a holy source. For others, its simply a translation of their own emotions or feelings. These translations rarely are ever proven to be factual. Faith is the only thing that drives this. Ironically, faith doesn't really propel much other things in the modern world.

One can argue that this can't be a reasonable process of living or at least living with other people.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Even though organized religion is guilty of an awful lot, I would say that it's the combination willful ignorance and apathy that is "the root of all evil".

Milton Platt

Religion is certainly the cause of much evil. But your statement is a generalization that is unsupportable from history. Human greed and desire for power are very much at play as well. I would have to say that much of the the evil perpetrated in the name of religion was actually greed and or power grabbing under the cloak of religion. Nonetheless, why provide the cloak??????

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Religion is certainly the cause of much evil. But your statement is a generalization that is unsupportable from history. Human greed and desire for power are very much at play as well. I would have to say that much of the the evil perpetrated in the name of religion was actually greed and or power grabbing under the cloak of religion. Nonetheless, why provide the cloak??????

I have spoken, therefore it is.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
If you see religion as Abrahamic ones, then you really should start threads in those sections.
The west's obsession with terming religion as either Christianity, Islam or Judaism is very meager. Comprehending religions other than these three are near impossible.

And it's not even like people in western ideas can stop using the term "religion" for Dharmic faiths... They still use their own vocabulary to fit the concept in their own understanding.
But Hinduism never had wars in the name of any God or any such despicable acts.
The issues of casteism, SATI, female infanticide are more to do with cultural bias since no such prescription actually occurs anywhere.
And Hinduism started to become more nationalistic after the countless atrocities of Muslim barbarian rulers and colonial inquisitions.
From Afghanistan to Cambodia, Hinduism was followed, including parts of China.
Now, it's just 2 nations.

Buddhism, Jainism or Taoism never advocated any horrors for their faith.