• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original Sin, infants, and the Bible

As I said:
First, you need to understand what original sin is...

Take baby steps. We can deal with baptism in another thread.
But to feed your curiousity yes a baby is in a "saving state" once baptized. But as to whether they will go to Hell we believe an unbaptized infant is left to the love of God. This basically means that we don't really know what happens to them.

It's tough being Roman Catholic, since original sin and the sacrament of baptism has been defined by the Magisteruim right? Can you post offical teachings of infant baptism and original sin? They are completely linked together within the Roman Catholic Faith, I think.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
It's tough being Roman Catholic, since original sin and the sacrament of baptism has been defined by the Magisteruim right? Can you post offical teachings of infant baptism and original sin? They are completely linked together within the Roman Catholic Faith, I think.
I already posted something official on original sin....see my first post.

As to baptism:
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm#IV

But like I said, let's try not to make this into a baptism thread because it is very possible to talk about one without the other.

First, you need to understand what original sin is. We believe it and teach it, so the least you can do is understand what it is that we teach. I’ve been in this forum long enough to see that it’s widely misunderstood. You can check out these threads to get clarifications:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=422201#post422201

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29172&page=2

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50058&highlight=original

Original sin is:
Human nature deprived of its original holiness.

As a result of original sin, human nature is weakened in its powers, subject to ignorance, suffering and the domination of death, and inclined to sin (this inclination is called "concupiscence").

Having provided this, is there still an objection?

Thanks for the reminder to read your first post. I tried to follow your link but got lost. In the official Roman Catholic position, does orginal sin dam someone to Hell. I have been reading about Saint Augustine's understanding of original sin. He would say that babies are sinners. Since Saint Augustine was a defender of the faith of Christianity, way before the reformation, would Saint Augustine's view be binding and part of official teaching of the magestrieum?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Thanks for the reminder to read your first post. I tried to follow your link but got lost. In the official Roman Catholic position, does orginal sin dam someone to Hell. I have been reading about Saint Augustine's understanding of original sin. He would say that babies are sinners. Since Saint Augustine was a defender of the faith of Christianity, way before the reformation, would Saint Augustine's view be binding and part of official teaching of the magestrieum?
No...Saint Augustine certainly defended the faith and was a great at doing so, but he is still human. He had personal views that didn't necessarily jive with Church teaching. Him and St. Jerome used to duke it out often and Jerome would correct Agustine from time to time.

As to whether infants are born as sinners; I'd say it's more like they are born with a corrupt nature. Saying they are sinners makes it sound like they are the ones that committed the act. Of course this is simply not true. But we certainly do believe that infants are born with a nature weakened in its powers, subject to ignorance, suffering and the domination of death, and inclined to sin.

Would you agree that someone's understanding of original sin drives someone's view of salvation and Christianity?

I have been reading Saint Augustine quite a bit. Pelagius was deemed a heretic by the Roman Catholic Church. Does the official view of Roman Catholicsm fall somewhere between Augustine's and Pelagius' view of original sin?