• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodoxy=unchanged....Muslim=flawed

Master Vigil

Runt, I was under the impression that St. Peter founded the catholic church. I may be wrong, but thats what all my sources told me. And one of them was the almanac. I guess it could stil be wrong, I am not sure. Where did you here it was John?

I'm not sure how accurate it is to say that St. Peter founded the "catholic" church...just the first Christian church.

The bishop of Rome wasn't even considered the Pope of the Christian church until much later, and a LOT of things changed before the church that Peter founded became the Church we know today. In many ways, Peter didn't found the Catholic church so much as he founded a church, which later split into Orthodox and Catholic (Eastern and Western Roman Empire).

However, I learned about this part of Church history (at a Catholic school) over a yaer ago, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Master Vigil

From what I read, St. Peter is known as the first vicar of the catholic church. Not the Roman Catholic, just catholic. And much later, in 1054 orthodoxy was founded. But the catholic church sorta became the Roman Catholic due it being in Rome. So to say that St. Peter founded the Roman Catholic church is in itself true and false. True to the affect that the catholic church he founded became the Roman Catholic church, but when he did found it, it wasn't known by that name.

Oh ok good point. I just thought the church in the East began to drift away from the one in the West very early on...differences in how they viewed the divinity of Christ etc.