• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthopraxis or Orthodoxy?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
One thing I've often noticed about the differences in Paganism when contrasted to other faiths (of course, mainly of the Judeo-Christian variety) is the difference in focus - Paganism, more often than not, focuses on Orthopraxis (for the uninitiated, "Orthopraxis" means "right practice" and refers to a focus on proper ritual rather than theology). whereas religions like Christianity focus more on Orthodoxy.

I'm not entirely sure why this is, but my best guess is because indigenous polytheistic faiths had no central organization to really come up with a set theology like Christians had, ad relied on local customs instead. However, that may be totally off base.

So, my question really is which does your religion focus on, and why? Do you think there is benefit in the other way of thinking, or do you have any insight as to why there is this difference (if you think it's there at all)?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
One thing I've often noticed about the differences in Paganism when contrasted to other faiths (of course, mainly of the Judeo-Christian variety) is the difference in focus - Paganism, more often than not, focuses on Orthopraxis ... whereas religions like Christianity focus more on Orthodoxy.
Judaism is characterized by its focus on orthopraxis.

So, my question really is which does your religion focus on, and why? Do you think there is benefit in the other way of thinking, or do you have any insight as to why there is this difference (if you think it's there at all)?
Unitarian Universalism is based on covenant, which could be translated as being in right relationship with one another. If I had to pick of the two choices offered, I'd say we lean more towards orthopraxis. Tho in truth we have precious little ritual.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
What is "right practice" for paganists?

It depends largely on which subset of Paganism we're talking about, though orthopraxis is usually more applicable to more reconstructionalist oriented paths, but I can see how it can apply to Wicca as well.

Sorry if that answer was chintzy, I promise I'll come back and add something better later. Just in a bit of a rush tonight. =(

Hope

Princesinha
The focus in Christianity is definitely orthodoxy. At least in mainline evangelical Christianity. And this is because, in our view, the horse(orthopraxis) should never come before the cart (orthodoxy). Orthopraxis should be a natural outcome of orthodoxy.

Scott1

The focus in Christianity is definitely orthodoxy. At least in mainline evangelical Christianity. And this is because, in our view, the horse(orthopraxis) should never come before the cart (orthodoxy). Orthopraxis should be a natural outcome of orthodoxy.
Amen.... but to clarify for our non-Christian members, we don't view orthopraxis as simply "right action" like we are simply following rules, but look to live our faith in accordance to the Gospel out of LOVE for God and neighbor. Our orthopraxis must be understood with the concept of service and mission, not simply following the "rules" of our faith to "earn" something. Christian orthodoxy can be summed up as LOVE and Christian orthopraxy as LOVE IN ACTION.

Peace,
S

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
As an eclectic pagan, I say neither is important for me. I don't believe there is a right way to honor the gods in ritual, as long as you honor them; I don't believe there is a right viewpoint on them either, as there are many sides to them that we may not have seen.

Scott1

I don't believe there is a right way to honor the gods in ritual, as long as you honor them;
I hope this isn't too far off topic , but I'm really curious to find out how you honor your gods as an eclectic pagan.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I hope this isn't too far off topic , but I'm really curious to find out how you honor your gods as an eclectic pagan.

:) I think that it's not how one honors them or when, but that they are. I believe that to honor them correctly, one does what just comes naturally until they feel that it has been done. If that means a big, elaborate ceremony, that's fine. If it means saying a prayer in their name, that's fine too. As long as you feel that you have honored them, I believe they will be happy.

Does that help?

Scott1

Does that help?
Very much, thank you.... it's neat to hear this part of "pagan" life... I've often been educated about specific gods, but not much on what life is like for pagans.... I appreciate the insight and just want to say that it sounds wonderful and I hope it brings you folks peace and happiness.

S

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
One thing I've often noticed about the differences in Paganism when contrasted to other faiths (of course, mainly of the Judeo-Christian variety) is the difference in focus - Paganism, more often than not, focuses on Orthopraxis (for the uninitiated, "Orthopraxis" means "right practice" and refers to a focus on proper ritual rather than theology). whereas religions like Christianity focus more on Orthodoxy.

I'm not entirely sure why this is, but my best guess is because indigenous polytheistic faiths had no central organization to really come up with a set theology like Christians had, ad relied on local customs instead. However, that may be totally off base.

My religious practice is most definitely that, a practice. Therefore, I would identify Buddhism as focusing on Orthopraxis first and foremost.

Generally speaking, though, we do take refuge in the Three Jewels - the Buddha as our "physician", if you will :); the Dharma as our "medicine"; and the Sang'ha. But all of this is not asked of us to simply take without testing it out for ourselves. Gautama Buddha strictly warned against faith (trust) without evidence. We are thus introduced to the practice of observation.

And so, a benefit to Orthodoxy? I guess that one can look at how belief is personal and unique to every individual. And I see this has having enormous value to seeing someone else as unique, valuable, and special as you. Placing a personal belief as having higher value than someone else's beliefs de-values that person's intimate approach to life and our place in it.

So, in that, I do my best to at the very least honor another's views toward making themselves and this world better for everyone. :)

Peace,
Mystic