• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ouch! Shoe hurts on other foot!

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
N.C. Christian Group Protests 'New Age' Classes

by Jessica Jones

All Things Considered, October 25, 2005 · A Christian group in Raleigh, N.C., is objecting to stress relief and breathing exercise classes offered by elementary schools. They say the classes promote New Age and Hindu beliefs and violate students' constitutional right to freedom of religion. North Carolina Public Radio's Jessica Jones reports.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4974303

Ormiston

Engyo said:

by Jessica Jones

All Things Considered, October 25, 2005 · A Christian group in Raleigh, N.C., is objecting to stress relief and breathing exercise classes offered by elementary schools. They say the classes promote New Age and Hindu beliefs and violate students' constitutional right to freedom of religion. North Carolina Public Radio's Jessica Jones reports.

Good thread! I don't agree with the "Seperation of Exercise and State" but auras and shockras have no place in school outside of Religion Class.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I found it ironic that when Christian children are exposed to other beliefs, it's suddenly a problem; when there is no problem if non-christian children are exposed to Christian beliefs. I find it even more ironic that some can't even see the issue (based upon some conversations from work).

Engyo said:

by Jessica Jones

this just in--student gets detention for breathing!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Wow, that was a long article.
You don't have to be focused on chakras (Ormiston had the right pronounciation) and auras to simple relieve stress and breathe.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Are Christians becoming frightened of any thing that might be used in other religions?

Stress relief and breathing exercises are taught widely out side religion, and even by Christians them selves, as are Meditation and other aids.
This sort of paranoia seems to be catching hold everywhere, especially with the Christian right.

Terry_____________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Engyo said:
I found it ironic that when Christian children are exposed to other beliefs, it's suddenly a problem; when there is no problem if non-christian children are exposed to Christian beliefs. I find it even more ironic that some can't even see the issue (based upon some conversations from work).
very true. i like the title of this thread as well!

jonny

Engyo said:
I don't find it ironic, as much as hypocritical, pathetic, and childish.

jonny

WillieHutch said:
this just in--student gets detention for breathing!
You do realize that breathing is a religious tradition. God breathed the breath of life into Adam. Perhaps we should ban that out of the schools too.

Ormiston

It's not childish and it's not hypocritical. And I'm not paranoid. Thanks for the spelling correction Luke. :) I don't want my child's tarot cards read to her in school and I don't want the bible read to her in school and I don't want her being told she has mystical powers in school. Faith-based beliefs should be reserved to Religion Class (and I've noticed that's reserved for High School). I wouldn't freak out about any of these (although I think the christians might take offense to the tarot cards), I'm simply stating that I don't want it in school. It's inappropriate.

jonny

Ormiston said:
It's not childish and it's not hypocritical. And I'm not paranoid. Thanks for the spelling correction Luke. :) I don't want my child's tarot cards read to her in school and I don't want the bible read to her in school and I don't want her being told she has mystical powers in school. Faith-based beliefs should be reserved to Religion Class (and I've noticed that's reserved for High School). I wouldn't freak out about any of these (although I think the christians might take offense to the tarot cards), I'm simply stating that I don't want it in school. It's inappropriate.
I didn't read the whole article, but I thought this was about breathing exercises and stress relief. Not tarot cards and bibles.

Ormiston

jonny said:
I didn't read the whole article, but I thought this was about breathing exercises and stress relief. Not tarot cards and bibles.
That's what I thought until I heard the audio. The woman starts right out telling the kids about their light and their source. Sure it's vague and seemingly harmless, but certainly touches religious cords. Her teachings are based in Buddhism and Hinduism, among other things. It's a physical AND spiritual exercise.

jonny

Ormiston said:
That's what I thought until I heard the audio. The woman starts right out telling the kids about their light and their source. Sure it's vague and seemingly harmless, but certainly touches religious cords. Her teachings are based in Buddhism and Hinduism, among other things. It's a physical AND spiritual exercise.
I have been deceived. I'll have to listen to it. :)

Shows how the way you frame something can really impact your opinion on the matter.

jonny

What they were doing sounds pretty close to praying to me. I do think that they crossed the line in this case.

Ormiston

jonny said:
What they were doing sounds pretty close to praying to me. I do think that they crossed the line in this case.
Let us know what conclusion you come to after hearing it. It does seem very "borderline" on a second review, but I hold to my original opinion.

Ormiston

Ormiston said:
Let us know what conclusion you come to after hearing it. It does seem very "borderline" on a second review, but I hold to my original opinion.
I'm sorry...lol. I didn't realize I was quoting the very thing I was asking for!

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I still think it's ironic that the people who want Christian prayer in schools would object to this. Personally, like Ormiston, I'm fine with keeping all of it to high school religion class; but if one kind of prayer is acceptable, then they all should be.